Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #21
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
really !! Tape we are talking about 50,000+ camper and you say put tape on it come on man. It needs to look good.

chessera2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #22
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
plastic panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
About a month ago, I noticed the plastic panel on the underside of our 06 Montana bedroom slide out was cracked and missing pieces. There is plywood under this panel. I contacted Keystone and was told this was considered a 'cosmetic piece' and not covered by warranty. That reply confused me because I had only asked if the part was available and tips on why it broke and replacing it.

After receiving this not so helpful reply, I contacted my dealer, who has been great. The dealer told me of another Montana owner who had the same problem, and was told the same thing by Keystone. This other person and the dealer were really irate that Keystone had taken this attitude. I understand the piece is cosmetic, and I also understand trailer warranties do not last forever, but if this is a problem experienced by many owners (like the decal issues!) Keystone should step up to the problem.

At any rate, my first attempt to fix this was to put a piece of Formica over it. The old plastic panel is glued to the wood underneath and stapled underneath the inside of edge of the slide out, requiring brute strength to remove. Because this panel would be nearly impossible to position properly without moving it around a bit, I steered away from contact cement (that only gives you one shot) and used liquid nails instead. I also drilled several holes in the Formica and used plastic rosettes to secure the Formica, because holding the panel upside down in place for the time it took the glue to set does not fall within my job classification. Unfortunately this proved to be my downfall, as there was not enough clearance for the rosettes. In fact, there was not enough room for the Formica in one spot where the glue was too thick, so I had to remove the Formica - another brute force task.

Attempt number two was to contact Herculiner, a manufacturer of paint on pick up truck liners. They killed my idea when they informed me that the lining would end up 1/8 thick. If the thin Formica had clearance problems, it was obvious 1/8 thick bed liner would too, and trying to remove that stuff goes way beyond brute force to the plastic explosives or flamethrower stage.

So now I am at attempt number three. It is my plan to sand the wood to remove any glue traces, fill the numerous cracks and places where the glue actually removed some wood with Bondo designed just for this purpose, and after finish sanding, paint it black. That is unless someone has a better idea, which I would LOVE to hear!!!

As a side note, the dealer wants $1,300 to replace the plastic panel with the same part because they would have to remove the slide out. However there is no guarantee it would last any longer than the first one did - or as long for that matter!

If anyone else has had this problem, I would like to hear from you, especially if you have a fix for it!

I had the same issue on my 2010 bedroom slideout and i replaced that cheap plastic panel with 1/8 inch lexan, i did not need to remove the slide out . I jacked the slide out up and put a 3/4 inch spacer under the pillars on each side and removed the outside moldings and pulled the carpet looose from the inside part, replaced the panel with lexan sheet and spray glue. Before i put the lexan on i painted the plywood black. Sealed all of the moldings and installed way longer screws. Just like new only better !!!
chessera2527 is offline   Reply With Quote