Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Electric awnings...

We are purchasing a 2009 Big Sky with an electric awning. I would like to know from you who have electric awnings and who have installed an anometer (or anemometer), how hard is it to install and wire this wind device to retract the awning?

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Michael,
Do some research on the wind sensors. The awning on our MH has wind sensors, but they are built into the end of the awning. The sensors can be set for little (can't remember the low end) to 18 MPH winds. (edited - no anemometer that I can find, unless that little sensor is the anmometer.)

There are a lot of pro's and con's about wind sensor awnings. What it boils down to is; when they work, they are great, but when they don't work, you still loose your awning. So the question then becomes, do you leave your awning down when you are away from the RV, or do you put it up? There is a separate thread on that subject.

Sometimes the wind sensor ones will activate with a little puff of wind, and sometimes they may not activate with a large puff of wind. I guess it matters on the direction of wind, what may be blocking the wind, etc. The electric awning is great. Push a button to extend, push a button to retract, all with nice smooth action. As for an outlay of cash for a wind sensor to add to an existing awning - well, I'd rather have a 12 pack of Shiner Bock! Then I just get up and push the button.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Is it too late to have them install the awning with the wind sensor? I purchased my awning with wind sensor from Camping World, so I cannot help with attempting to add a sensor.

Good luck
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's one for those that want or have an electric awning.

My neighbor in a year old SeeYa class A just had his electric awning removed and had a manual awning installed. His comment to me was "you may think I'm nuts and going backwards but after a year of replacing 3 burned out motors I have had my fill of them so backwards I will go." He also indicated that 3 friends had the same problems with the motors and one of them also went back to manual. Yes, all 4 awnings are A&E (Dometic).
For those that have the electric awning I would suggest contacting Dometic to see if there is a problem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Michael - I don't believe A&E or Carefree use anemometers anymore. They went to motion sensors in the arms like Wayne describes. When the sensors detect motion against the background, they retract. It eliminates the issues with snow tearing off the anemometers or driving 75mph into a 75mph headwind.

It looks like it would be a complicated retrofit.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Quote:
quote:well, I'd rather have a 12 pack of Shiner Bock! Then I just get up and push the button.
After a 12 pack you can find the button?

We did get the wind sensor, but haven't seen it work (yet). I guess I think it's kind of an emergency back-up thing anyway; in case we can't get to the button if a big wind sneaks up. I hope that it works when it's supposed to, and doesn't actually cause any harm because it picks a bad time.
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
[quote]quote:Originally posted by sunshineduo

Quote:
We did get the wind sensor, but haven't seen it work (yet). I guess I think it's kind of an emergency back-up thing anyway; in case we can't get to the button if a big wind sneaks up. I hope that it works when it's supposed to, and doesn't actually cause any harm because it picks a bad time.
Was the sensor an option with your unit, was it a Dealer install, or a install at another vendor? Is it the anemometer?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
You know, I agree with Glenn about the advantages of a standard awning. I have an electric one and cannot attach flappers, do not know if I can adjust the angle of the awning and would be hesitant to attach the normal lights and wind chimes like we always have on our standard units. We do not leave an awning down when away from the RV, so many things can happen its not worth it so thats a plus for the electric.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! I resemble that 12 beer remark!!!!

The present day sensors (motion detector, or whatever you want to call them) have several wind settings at the control unit, including an off function for those special times you may want awning lights. In Austin a few weeks ago I had the door awning out and left it out when we went to bed. I guess a puff of wind came about and it was up the next morning.

Now I just tell DW that she can't have awning light 'cause it will upset the wind sensors. Saves me a lot of set up time!!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

You know, I agree with Glenn about the advantages of a standard awning. I have an electric one and cannot attach flappers, do not know if I can adjust the angle of the awning and would be hesitant to attach the normal lights and wind chimes like we always have on our standard units. We do not leave an awning down when away from the RV, so many things can happen its not worth it so thats a plus for the electric.
Although this has nothing to do with installing a wind sensor - just curious why you want deflappers Steve, when your electric awning can't flap? - and why do you want to adjust the angle when your electric doesn't hold water?. I hang lights on mine all the time - I use clothespins.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I didn't know about the motion sensors. Sounds like they might do the trick in a pinch, and use common sense the rest of the time.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote