Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mor/Ryde Stop a Huge Success

Well, we did it, had them 6K axles cut right off, yeppers sure did. We are now the proud (hopefully) owners of a MorRyde Independent Suspension along with Kodiak disc brakes and never lub bearings. I was really impressed with the operation they have at MorRyde. It was hard to believe the amount of support that was added to that area of the frame. The only drawback to the entire operation was I had to have a Prodigy brake controller installed as the built in '08 GM integrated Braking System was not compatible with electric over hydraulic brakes. All in all, a happy camper, plenty of warranty to give the system a good workout, which I will, of course.

I will reserve recommendations until I get some miles on the system and report back in a few months. I will say the folks at MorRyde will treat you good should you decide to have some work done. Total cost was $5400. I post this only to let others know what they would be looking at financially. If I had been planning on trading unit in a few years I would not have done this, however, we hope to keep our unit many years. Being fulltimers helped us make this decision also.

If you have questions, PM me. Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Will be looking for your report. Hope it is a good one.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Phil, as I said before the Mor/Ryde people are great. While we were there in 2006 to get the installed done they actually provided our lunch both days. The disk brakes are the best Mod we ever had done to our Cambridge. I agree the only problem with the upgrade is the IBC not being compatible, we also had to change to the Prodigy when we got our (SOB) it came factory equipped with Disk Brakes. Just returned from Texas, and the trip was awesome. The longest trip with the (SOB) and set down and break down was so much quicker with the Hydraulic side to side leveling along with the other Hydraulic jacks. For the People who are buying a new 5th wheel if you can get the Hydraulic jack system I highly recomend the system.

Phil the price was very good, I assure you want be sorry, things will ride so much better in the 5er now. Phil, I think I'm going to get the Tenkosha P-3 it has a setting for electric or electric over hydraulic disk brakes. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are considering that mod..we will talk at the rally..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We look forward to seeing how much reinforcement was put in place.

We should arrive on Sunday - look forward to seeing you and Cathy again.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
exav8tr,
You won't be sorry with your Individual Suspension, but I know nothing about the hydraulic disc brakes. Have heard that they aren't instantaneous when you step on the brake, but that's just hearsay. It's a wonderful feeling and sense of good ride when you are going around a bend in the road and there is a bump to go over. The front wheel goes over and down and then the rear wheel goes over and down. The Montana doesn't move. (Rest assured that the wheels that you can't see are doing the same thing. Good luck and happy, no-bounce traveling.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Ours is a factory install, but things don't move around in the coach when we pull so I'll vouch for the ride along with the others.
The brakes work fine, but I have indeed noticed a smidge of lag, then just when you feel that maybe they're a bit overdue, they come on smoothly and you can back off a bit. I've fooled with the gain (Ford factory install) but the little bit of lag seems to still be there. Not a problem, just takes a little planning; and since I'm a new 5th-wheel puller, I can't say that all this isn't completely normal
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote