Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Montana_3747

M.O.C. #3747
Satellite cable

Howdy again,
Does anyone know how to run a satellite cable from a dish on a tripod into the camper? We have a 319BHS Mountaineer with enclosed underbelly...it seems to be cable ready, but not satellite ready. Thanks!

Montana_3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don says you can use the cable connection for satellite connection but have to hook up to the cable inside.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Don's right. Hook up to the SAT/CABLE connector on the outside. It connects directly to a cable or connector on the inside. Locate that connection and hook it directly to your SAT receiver. Don't go through any splitters.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Wmot1122

I have a 2001 Montana and had to install another cable conector to the exterior side of the Monty.
I installed it next to the compartment door behind the entertainment center so it was really easy to run the cable to a Winegart entertainment switch I had purchased through CW. It works great. Some of the newer models have two connections, one for cable and one for satellite.

Good luck,

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Montana_3747

M.O.C. #3747
Ok....another question....I have a Mountaineer made by Montana, but not an actual Montana, so are you sure mine is an exterior cable/satellite connector or is it just for cable? Will it have two connections on the outside if I have both satellite and cable? It's a 2005 model. The rep said it was satellite ready, but when we hooked the satellite cable up to the exterior connection, we did not get anything! Thanks! Sorry for being so unknowledgeable!
Montana_3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have an older Montana and I cannot use my regular cable connection to a Sat antenna and receiver. My line also provides the rooftop cable and it has an amplifier in line.

The way to tell is hook up your receiver and then check for 12Volts on the outside line to the SAT antenna. If you have the 12V from the receiver it will probably work.

On mine I installed another port on the outside by the entertainment center for a tripod Sat antenna.

But I got tired of that and purchased a crankup roof Sat Antenna and installed new cabling to both TV's.

Not sure what you can do with the new ones but if you can't deliver the 12V to the external SAT antenna, it won't work.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
What kind of setup is inside? Do you have two connectors hook together with a short loop?

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have the same setup being discussed here but... in one post it's mentioned to use the CATV connection. In another it's mentioned 12v is needed on the line. Since I know the TV booster button provides 12v to the tv antenna via the cable wiring, would it in turn make sense that when the sat is connected to the cable connection it would need the booster ON to get the 12 volts? Or does that 12v go only to the tv antenna and not the rest of the cable wiring? I wouldn't want somebody to burn something out because of this but thought I'd throw this in for comment.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
wmott1122,
I have a 2003 Mountaineer that was not satellite ready. I decided to add external f-connectors for satellite using RG-6 cable with runs to the entertainment center and to the bedroom television areas.

It is possible to use the existing exterior cable connection but in our case they had only used Rg-59 cable which does not have the shielding to make a satellite system work at its best. Also, by adding the new exterior connectors for the satellite I can use cable, antenna or satellite by simply switching inputs on the television with the remote.

Here is a link to my website with a description and pictures of the installation:

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...shinstall.html

Feel free to PM or email if I can answer questions.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:36 AM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Steve,

The co-ax line must be clear to allow the 12v from the SAT Receiver to reach the SAT antenna. If the SAT Receiver does not supply the 12v to the SAT antenna,it will not work. The signal from the SAt antenna travels down the 12v co-ax line to the receiver. If anything stops this such as splitters etc then it will not work.

The 12v at the SAT antenna can be checked with a voltmeter when the SAT receiver is turned on. You can cycle the SAT receiver to make sure that it is coming from the SAT receiver. On my 5er CATV line I cannot get the receiver to supply the 12V. Something stops the signal. Thus I had to install a seperate connection for SAT.

However splitters can be put on the output of the receiver to supply two televisions. Thats what I did and I also installed co-ax switches at each TV so I can select SAT or CATV.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:49 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
AS far as RG-59 goes it has the same 75 ohm impedence as RG-6. The difference is the RG-59 has a smaller center conductor and the shielding is not as good as RG-6. If fact the best way to tell the difference is to look at the center conductor. However if the RG-59 is of good quality it will pass Direct TV SAT signal.

For example, my stick house is wired completely with RG-59 and I run Direct TV without any noticeable loss on the signal setup meters. I am running TIVO and two other receivers on RG-59.

RG-6 is the preferred cable to use but before going to the expense of re-wiring check it out.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:54 AM   #12
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
Camping World offers a cheap, easy to use, special wire to help bring a satallite signal into a camper that is not wired for satallite and for folks who don't wish to drill or mount a satallite connection

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=14649&src=SRQB

we used one on a prior camper and it worked as advertised

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:16 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You need to use RG-6 from the Sat receiver to the LNB.RG-6 has greater bandwidth and lower frequency lose per foot than Rg-59 Better shielding and insulation and a larger center conductor to carry the 12V needed to power the LNB from the receiver.
Note that the 12V comes from the receiver and you must not use anything between the receiver and LNB that will inhibit the voltage. You can run RG-59 from the output of the sat receiver to other TV's without loss of or degraded signal....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote