Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Mice ! Here is what we did, whay did we miss?

We are in a very small RV park here in SE TX . A lot of fields here and someone bought a house behind us and is cleaning up the property and I am sure he is relocating some of the buggers.
We have:
Put steel wool in every hole we can find. Around the landing gear, anywhere plumbing comes in. We bought some mouse repellant that has spearmint and peppermint in it, and placed it here and there, under stairs down by the water heater. I have dryer sheets ALL through out the rig.(smells very nice in here by the way) Any other suggestions? I have two indoor cats, but the mice seem to stay in the coupboards on the floor where the cats can't get to them. How do you access the "attic" ? I know rhere is at least one up there as my cats have stiff necks from running around at night looking up at the cieling.We have a storage shed for our use here, we put Decon out, but a week later we found two dead stray cats. There are also a lot of neighborhood dogs around also, I don't want them eating the decon filled mice.
Sorry for such a long post !
Thanks Chris

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Good old fashioned wooden traps with peanut butter works for me. Check daily and dispose of mouse then reset.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
you are not alone. mice are hard to get rid of,they seem to like the camping life!!. You are doing about what we all use,still get them now and then. The only thing different that we and others use is a product call fresh cab. Supposedly an all natural way of keeping them away. you can buy it from their website or I found it this year from amazon. We had a couple mice at start of winter,had not any since.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We bought a couple of rodent bait traps at a farm store and put those between our wheels. You can't poison pets that way but you can feed the critters you want to feed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
To gain access to the attic you can drop the trim around one of the roof vents. Some posted they did this then placed a tray of Deacon in the attic. Jim
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
to access the attic, take the interior trim off of one of the crank up roof vents and you should have enough space to slide one of the peanut butter baited traps in.
We have some of those plug in "sonic" things we bought at Lowes (Wally World also sells them). When I had a critter in my front cap I removed the trim around the ceiling vent next to the bathroom sink, plugged the sonic unit into an extension cord and slid it as far into the attic as I could. I left it plugged in for a couple of days and did not hear the critter after that. We leave one plugged into a wall out let 24/7 in the living area.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol

To gain access to the attic you can drop the trim around one of the roof vents. Some posted they did this then placed a tray of Deacon in the attic. Jim
Thanks ! We will try that.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
This sounds impossible, but, a mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil. Wire screen works really well for all opening. On my trailer I stapled it over hole and where I couldn't staple it I glued it on. A mouse will get through steel wool over time. I also try and find poison that I can fasten to something with a wire tye, I use poison that comes in square blocks about 1" x 1" and drill a hole through.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have found that the electronic ultrasound devices actually work. We had a mouse in the house, bought a 3 pack of the electronic devices, and did the peanut butter thing. Trap caught one and never had any more.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
spring traps or live traps with good fresh peanut butter works for us very well....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I don't think I would use any kind of poison. Seems to me that after ingesting it they could go to an out of reach place in the 5er and die there. What's that terrible smell?!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Be very careful, check you Hydraulic hoses from the pump. Ours were bitten through and we are a camping world and our extended warranty will not cover replacement of hoses. Camping world wants 121.00 an hour to pull and replace the hoses. So I will have to do it when we get were I have some time. Cover them with split garden hose or what ever, I have made them work, but it's still leaking. Quite the mess in the bottom of the storage area.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I don't think I would use any kind of poison. Seems to me that after ingesting it they could go to an out of reach place in the 5er and die there. What's that terrible smell?!
I agree and when they die another critter eats them and dies as well. Was reading the other day where a beautiful hawk had died from eating a poisoned mouse. I would rather do the "keep them out in the first place" if possible.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
the poison dehydrates the little critter, no smell.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I think Swanny is absolutely right. I know many who have used Deacon, problem gone smell none. If it is still a concern just put a spring trap in the attic. Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roamingusa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I agree and when they die another critter eats them and dies as well. Was reading the other day where a beautiful hawk had died from eating a poisoned mouse. I would rather do the "keep them out in the first place" if possible.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'm doing what Swanny did wire screen on all openings and steel wool in smaller openings.

I ordered 5 lbs of course stainless steel wool so it wont rust on the rig and cause other problems. I might make a sugestion of some major holes that most forget about, That is the slide RAMs there is a 3 inch hole to patch where the ram goes through the frame, the way I did it was to wrap steel wool around the ram rod near the bolts near the bracket that mounts to the slide, and when the slide close this will close over the hole blocking access to the under belly
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #17
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We learned from experience not to you the traps that have stickem' on them. The mice dragged it before he died near our slides. Tough time getting trap and mouse out.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Okay, on a lighter note. I found out the hard way today mice like Rasin Bran and the fact I can scream so loud, it scared the cats ! I looked in our cupboard today and noticed a bag of Tostitos chewed through, Albert went out to our storage barn to get a tub to put the food in so I could clean out the cupboard and wipe all the cans off. The last thing I took out was the rasin bran. Mouse jumped out landed on my arm, went in the sink and down on the floor, when I screamed it scared the cats, so they didn't even see the mouse. It went under the corner of the slide and hopefully out the other side. Albert heard me outside....LMAO... NOW! We have glue and spring traps set with peanut butter. I know there has been one at least in the cieling cause Matt and Miss Kitty have stiff necks from looking up. LOL
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
well at least you still have your sense of humor left!! :-)
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #20
poolboy59
Established Member

M.O.C. #13310
http://www.earth-kind.com/products/repellent/
The fresh cab rodent repellant has worked better than anything else we have used, including bounce sheets (they made a nest using the bounce sheets) the peppermint stuff (doesnt last long)It smells like cedar and it lasts a month
poolboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote