Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
2017 F350 PSD Lariat - 1st Impression

Just brought our 2017 F350 PSD Lariat home from the dealer. We traded in our 2011 KR.
Here are some initial impressions and I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post.
- It goes like stink. The acceleration is faster and smoother. Looking forward to see how it pulls the 5er with all that extra torque.
- Fuel mileage, perhaps the downside of the increased HP/Torque, on the trip home wasn't great but it's new and I was driving into a headwind so will have to see how it does going forward. I got about 18mpg highway and 10-11mpg towing on the 2011.
- Put in the Titan 55 Gal replacement tank. Going to love that. Sits a couple of inches lower and skid plate wouldn't fit but we don’t off-road so the reduced clearance shouldn't be a problem.
- All the technology including the Sync 3 system and the 5 cameras are pretty impressive. Now I have to learn how to use it all.
- The flat floor and extra leg room in the back will be great for our dog. Better place for her than scratching up the nice leather seats.
- There seems to be more storage room under the rear seat and the fold flat feature is nice. I have all my safety gear, winter scrapers, rope, tie downs, 12V compressor, etc under the seat so don't have anything on the back floor, except for the dog.
- The truck bed is 2” higher and the bed rails 3” higher than the 2011. This is concerning as my 5th wheel towed nose high with the 2011. Going to hook up the trailer this week and see what it looks like. May have to adjust the suspension on the trailer or lower the rear of the truck.
Has anybody lowered the rear of the truck and did it affect the driveability of the truck?
I have a 2 step folding step stool and I'll be using it even more now. I can hardly reach over the bed rail and get something on the floor. The integrated tailgate step is nice but I almost need a step to get to the step. One of the mfg's has to stop this competition to make their truck the biggest and tallest.
- As I mentioned, the cameras are great, but why are the rear cameras not available when in N or D. Would be nice to see what's in the bed when your driving and when backing up a trailer you loose the trailer backup camera every time you shift into Drive to reposition the truck.
- The headlight dial is way down to the left of the steering wheel. Hard to see and access. Not a big problem as I will set on Auto and leave it but would hate to be reaching down trying to make an adjustment while driving.
- The tailgate step and hand rail is very nicely integrated into the trailgate and the spring in the tailgate makes opening and closing an easy one hand job.
- The mirrors seem to be smaller which makes for a more stylish look but not as effective for viewing. Will no doubt get used to it.
- The 11,500 GVWR plus the Aluminum body less the fully boxed stiffer frame netted me 125# more payload, although the Titan fuel tank ends up putting me in a deficit in that regard. It seems that you still feel each bump in the road but with the stiffer frame there is less residual vibration so effectively a better ride. Perhaps it's just that it's new and there aren't any squeaks yet.
- The Adaptive Steering will take some getting used to and not sure if I appreciate the supposed benefit.
- Don't have the sunroof which I am happy about. Seldom used it in the 2011 KR.
- Do have the 20” tires. The aluminum wheels look great but would have rather had the 18” tire. Took another 2017 for a test drive at another dealer with the 18” tires and the ride seemed to be slightly softer. Also 18” rubber is cheaper to replace than the 20”.
The biggest single improvement is the addition of the exhaust/engine brake. Going to love that coming down a mountain pass with 14,000 in tow. Whatever the 2011 had was ineffective at best.

I think we are going to enjoy the truck. Just have to resolve the height issue for towing the 5er.
I’ll post some follow ups as I get some on the road experience.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote