Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2024, 08:21 AM   #1
Traveling Many Roads

M.O.C. #33443
Do I Have a lemon

I ordered a new Montana Legacy last year, took delivery 1st week in June 23, have it just about 9 months and of the 9 months 5 months have been spent at dealership doing repairs, which is where it currently is. This is the first unit we have owned and waited till after Covid to order because of the horror stories we heard about quality of building doing Covid. Was looking forward to the Florida Montana rally at Crystal River next month to get some insight into Montana but doesn't look like I'll have my unit back. Am I the only one having these problems.

Traveling Many Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:59 AM   #2
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
No you are not. Most of the time is the dealer they drag their feet on making repairs. Suggest you talk with them find out the problem why it’s taking so long. Then if it a parts problem call keystone yourself. You probably find out the dealer is blowing smoke about it being a parts problem.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:05 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
My understanding is (at least in CA) if your RV is at the dealership longer then in your possession it qualifies as a lemon. After a certain period of time. Not sure what that is. I would definitely consult a lawyer. You can use this as leverage to expedite repairs if it qualifies.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:39 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
You will be much better off and much happier.. IMO if you learn to take care of most of the issues yourself instead of going for warranty work all the time

My fifth wheel has been back to dealership one time in ten years ( within the first 2 weeks I owned it ) and has never been to any service center or repair shop since..

I DIY for everything
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:13 AM   #5
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I still say, idemtify the dealer first. Primary consideration is the ability to work with service dept. Ask about the min/max tine units have been in for service.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:08 PM   #6
tyme2par4

M.O.C. #27911
That's just standard for the RV industry. It's a total sham and they know it.
Sell a unit with a 1 year warranty.
Customer uses it once or twice and finds problems.
Goes to the dealer for 6 months until camping season is over.
Warranty is expired by the next time customer uses it, so nothing else is covered under warranty.
tyme2par4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:31 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme2par4 View Post
That's just standard for the RV industry. It's a total sham and they know it.
Sell a unit with a 1 year warranty.
Customer uses it once or twice and finds problems.
Goes to the dealer for 6 months until camping season is over.
Warranty is expired by the next time customer uses it, so nothing else is covered under warranty.
Well having owned 2 new trailers, I've learned to use the hell out of it the first year. My Monty was purchased in December and went out 15 times. By the time my 1 year ran out 90% of issues were addressed. I also bought the extended warranty which has come in very handy.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:57 PM   #8
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Typical, unfortunately.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:11 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What dealer did you buy from?
What problem(s) do you have?
Unfortunately some dealers take a long time to effect repairs. If you are using one of those (CW comes to mind) it requires you actively engage the staff and management on the repair status. Also check with Montana Customer Support to ensure the dealer has reported the problems.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:35 PM   #10
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Our unit is five years old and it was at the dealer for about 30 minutes to take out the old mattress and install a new one. It has never been out of my possession for dealer repair and I don't plan on it. I fix everything myself and am much better off for it. That's my 2 cents!
Old 02-20-2024, 10:19 PM   #11
gchesnutt
Established Member

M.O.C. #33471
I would bet a months pay we are talking about camping world. Standard procedure taught to all their employees. Give them a deadline of 1 or 2 weeks. Tell them you will pick it up that day and your next stop will be joining a class action suit. There are many of them. You will be amazed what they can do when properly motivated. After that either learn to fix it yourself or find an independent dealer that will treat you right. They are not that hard to find but you may have to go some distance.
gchesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:21 AM   #12
Traveling Many Roads

M.O.C. #33443
lazy days major problems front a/c quit working, kitchen window leaking, 3rd time power cord reel quit working, inverter quit working, oil leaks on auto level and there's more and Keystone doesn't want to cover some of the item's and there trying to push it on my extended warranty
Traveling Many Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:33 PM   #13
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
New Montana Troibles

Here are two things. First, I bought a 2022 Montana Legacy and believed Keystone would take a little extra time to deliver a quality product because I paid the extra money. What A joke!

Second, to their credit, Keystone continues to work with me and reimburses me when I have something repaired by a mobile tech. Each time I talk to the customer service representatives I am told that they will continue to take care of me. I had to do a lot of whining to get that “benefit”. The list of repairs that have been made thus far is extensive and would be very expensive out of pocket. However, the list of repairs still in need is also extensive. I had every kind of problem from the headboard, falling off to a slide out ceiling that was sagging because they used a warped crossmember. It’s very sad because the dealers are understaffed And Keystone is slow to ship them parts. By now you would think that Keystone would have many extra parts set aside ready to ship. What’s up with that? I’m guessing it’s all about the money.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:48 PM   #14
emmeld
Established Member

M.O.C. #32989
Montana problems.

Your not the only one having problems. We have a 2022 Montana 3791rd and just found out we have a cracked frame. At first Montana told us these were only stress cracks and referred us to the nearest shop which happened to be Camping World in Albuquerque. Big mistake...the day we went to pick it up the service rep told us the repairs they did wouldn't last since now being told the frame was cracked and now we need to take it to Montana in Indiana. So yes any of these built between 2020 - 2022 all will have frame problems and slide issues....Good Luck
emmeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:10 AM   #15
Voyageur

M.O.C. #31848
Dealer dealer dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Many Roads View Post
I ordered a new Montana Legacy last year, took delivery 1st week in June 23, have it just about 9 months and of the 9 months 5 months have been spent at dealership doing repairs, which is where it currently is. This is the first unit we have owned and waited till after Covid to order because of the horror stories we heard about quality of building doing Covid. Was looking forward to the Florida Montana rally at Crystal River next month to get some insight into Montana but doesn't look like I'll have my unit back. Am I the only one having these problems.
RV are what they are. A fifth wheel remains a trailer. Quality is approximative and the roads are getting worse each year. Two solutions to lower the frustration: the most important is choosing the dealer, accept to pay a little more when buying if the dealer has a good reputation for giving a spotless service. Second, make all the maintenance and repairs you can by yourself.
Believe me, a good dealer like the one we choose do the extra miles with Keystone and get the job done. This is a stress reliever.
Voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 12:28 PM   #16
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
If the RV is still usable get it back from the dealer and use it while you are waiting for the parts. Never just leave it there. We fix everything ourselves as much as we can. In the few instances we take it to a dealer, we take it there long enough for them to diagnose and order parts. Then we take it back to storage or use it. We don't want it leave on their lot and risk vandalism or other damage while waiting on parts.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:54 PM   #17
tyme2par4

M.O.C. #27911
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
Here are two things. First, I bought a 2022 Montana Legacy and believed Keystone would take a little extra time to deliver a quality product because I paid the extra money. What A joke!

Second, to their credit, Keystone continues to work with me and reimburses me when I have something repaired by a mobile tech. Each time I talk to the customer service representatives I am told that they will continue to take care of me. I had to do a lot of whining to get that “benefit”. The list of repairs that have been made thus far is extensive and would be very expensive out of pocket. However, the list of repairs still in need is also extensive. I had every kind of problem from the headboard, falling off to a slide out ceiling that was sagging because they used a warped crossmember. It’s very sad because the dealers are understaffed And Keystone is slow to ship them parts. By now you would think that Keystone would have many extra parts set aside ready to ship. What’s up with that? I’m guessing it’s all about the money.
100% agree, if you complain enough to get to a manger, they generally will take care of you. We've gone through 18 months of ownership with constant problems. Electrical, plumbing, structural, you name it. Mostly a result of complete negligence in the factory. Everything has been done by mobile tech, and they luckily have reimbursed everything with minimal fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeld View Post
Your not the only one having problems. We have a 2022 Montana 3791rd and just found out we have a cracked frame. At first Montana told us these were only stress cracks and referred us to the nearest shop which happened to be Camping World in Albuquerque. Big mistake...the day we went to pick it up the service rep told us the repairs they did wouldn't last since now being told the frame was cracked and now we need to take it to Montana in Indiana. So yes any of these built between 2020 - 2022 all will have frame problems and slide issues....Good Luck
Don't think problems end after 2022. We have a 2023 and the frame is basically trash. These sheet metal cross members that they show off for being lighter just dont cut it. Second trailer in 3 years that's failed on us. Plus the whole front end is falling apart.
Luckily we're in talks to have them buy it back, but still waiting to hear their proposed deal.
tyme2par4 is offline   Reply With Quote