Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Eddiea
Established Member

M.O.C. #20773
Rims Leaking

Just had my second rim start leaking, inside near spoke, very slow leak. Tredit I Hope will replace, they did first time. I have gone with G rated tires, never under inflated and not over loaded. I think it must be the side pressure on rims while turning. Faulty rims? We had the 2016, 3610 for three years, bought new.
So far KeyStone sold me a Fifth Wheel with substandard tires and now rims and the brakes are marginal at best. What replacement rims do I go with?

Eddiea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We had two OEM Rims develop pin hole leaks, first within days after delivery, the second took three years to show up. So last summer after a GY G114 exploded, we needed new tires anyway, bought new Sailuns on new Rims. Price of Sailun tire and new Rim was less than the cost for a GY G114 alone.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiea View Post
Just had my second rim start leaking, inside near spoke, very slow leak. Tredit I Hope will replace, they did first time. I have gone with G rated tires, never under inflated and not over loaded. I think it must be the side pressure on rims while turning. Faulty rims? We had the 2016, 3610 for three years, bought new.
So far KeyStone sold me a Fifth Wheel with substandard tires and now rims and the brakes are marginal at best. What replacement rims do I go with?
I had 2 of the factory wheels develop cracks at the spokes. This is the weakest part of the wheel. I bought 4 Hi-Spec modular 367865 hd wheels in size 16x7- 8 lug. These wheels have 3960# capacity at 110 psi. These look like the same design as the DRV wheels. I have had them about 3 years and work great. They are about 140.00 each plus about 10.00 each for the center caps. You can buy them at E-Trailer, Rec-Stuff and various other places. I don't want any more wheels with spokes.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You being the original owner should be covered by the lifetime warranty by the wheel supplier, https://www.tredittire.com/ . Before you spend a lot of money, give them a call and they will supply you with new wheels, possibly exact replacements.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Food for thought. Because it's just my opinion.

All of the 16" LRG tires were originally designed for 6.5" wide rims. When they hit the market, most consumers were reluctant to use them on their 6" wide rims. Sailun and others waved the magic wand and, presto, you could use them on 6" wide rims. However, their measuring rims are 6.5".

That's a pretty heavy tire to pinch on 6" wide rims. Could that be a cause for wheel failures?

Tire manufacturers that sell tires in the USA are required to provide acceptable wheel/rim sizes for every tire Designated size they provide to the public and provide a listing to the retailer that must be presented to consumers on request. You can confirm that by reading FMVSS 571.119 paragraph S5.1.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Even though our rig was delivered with the Goodyear Marathon E range tire, and after having five tire failures with them, we replaced them with Goodyear G614’s as that was an option from the factory using the same 6” wide rims, and this was about a year after purchase. We still have the same rims and have not had any rim failure issues. 1/2” isn’t that much of a difference and I doubt you could tell the tire looked any different mounted on a 6 1/2” wheel. Just my opinion, too.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Even though our rig was delivered with the Goodyear Marathon E range tire, and after having five tire failures with them, we replaced them with Goodyear G614’s as that was an option from the factory using the same 6” wide rims, and this was about a year after purchase. We still have the same rims and have not had any rim failure issues. 1/2” isn’t that much of a difference and I doubt you could tell the tire looked any different mounted on a 6 1/2” wheel. Just my opinion, too.

I have to agree on the rim size, how many of us have went to the Sailun or Goodyear G rated tires without issue. No I don't think its size ,its quality.

My story ,some may remember back around 2009 or 2010. We had wheels that were not rated for 110 psi, matter of fact mine had no psi or weight rating , T06 rims I think if I remember on my 2008 Montana 3400RL.

Anyway the manufacturer recertified those wheels to 110 psi, even sent out stickers to put on them. Going off that information I got on THIS forum I went with G rated tires it was around 2010, my Mission brand E rated tire were nearing two years old I wanted them off . Well they had a change of heart ,and decided they were not going to recertify. My point I ran those wheels with G rated tires on them for just over 10 years, IMO they were a much better wheel then whats on these new fifth wheels rated for 110 psi.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I have to agree on the rim size, how many of us have went to the Sailun or Goodyear G rated tires without issue. No I don't think its size ,its quality.

My story ,some may remember back around 2009 or 2010. We had wheels that were not rated for 110 psi, matter of fact mine had no psi or weight rating , T06 rims I think if I remember on my 2008 Montana 3400RL.

Anyway the manufacturer recertified those wheels to 110 psi, even sent out stickers to put on them. Going off that information I got on THIS forum I went with G rated tires it was around 2010, my Mission brand E rated tire were nearing two years old I wanted them off . Well they had a change of heart ,and decided they were not going to recertify. My point I ran those wheels with G rated tires on them for just over 10 years, IMO they were a much better wheel then whats on these new fifth wheels rated for 110 psi.
Usually the best answer for equipment specifications will be from their manufacturer. Sometimes their retailers are wrong.

Is this reference telling us the minimum size or the measuring rim size?

http://gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T
Old 08-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Usually the best answer for equipment specifications will be from their manufacturer. Sometimes their retailers are wrong.

Is this reference telling us the minimum size or the measuring rim size?

http://gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T

To me the rim is " supposed " to be 6.5", where that measurement is, I have no real idea. Do I know what you are talking about, no Am I concerned my rims are only 6" if indeed they are , not in the least. I have ran three sets of G rated tires , two different set of wheels ,both 6" listed by the manufacturer . With a minimum of 95-100 psi in them, without issue .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #10
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
To me the rim is " supposed " to be 6.5", where that measurement is, I have no real idea. Do I know what you are talking about, no Am I concerned my rims are only 6" if indeed they are , not in the least. I have ran three sets of G rated tires , two different set of wheels ,both 6" listed by the manufacturer . With a minimum of 95-100 psi in them, without issue .
I'm pretty sure you've been reading my posts long enough to know I just present it the way it's supposed to be done. Normally when a consumer does it their way they may not know they are circumventing safety.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This isn't a consumer issue, but if it is wrong, then Keystone/Montana is selling rigs with the wrong wheels. They've been sold for years with 6" wide wheels with tires that supposedly should be on 6 1/2" wheels. I wonder what wheels are on the newer rigs that come with the Sailun tires, 6" or 6 1/2" wheels? Even the Goodyear G614 tires show the 6 1/2" wheel specs and they were being installed on 6" wheels before they started installing the Sailuns.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #12
Eddiea
Established Member

M.O.C. #20773
Thanks, Tredit told me this is the last time, so far two out of four. Must be side torque witch has increased with G rated tires. Another possibility is bad casting in rims. Going to AK next June, worried about failure while on trip.
Side walls are much stiffer on G rated tires, witch we need, but old E rated tires were very soft when turning
Eddiea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
Khanscel

M.O.C. #19505
If u are origanal owner they are guaranteed for life. I have ran across 4 other people than me that have broken spokes. One guy was charged $350 by his dealer to replace one and he bought it from them. They didn’t do warranty work for him
Khanscel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #14
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanscel View Post
If u are origanal owner they are guaranteed for life. I have ran across 4 other people than me that have broken spokes. One guy was charged $350 by his dealer to replace one and he bought it from them. They didn’t do warranty work for him
Check-out page #21 in the reference below.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf
Old 08-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
With both of the leaking Rims I had, I used soapy water and took pictures of the bubbles, took pictures of the info stamped on the backside of the spokes. Filled out the required form and e-mailed everything to the distributor, in our case it was Lion's Head while Montana uses Tredit and within a few days a new Rim was delivered. Went to the Dealer first and they were totally useless.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #16
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
This isn't a consumer issue, but if it is wrong, then Keystone/Montana is selling rigs with the wrong wheels. They've been sold for years with 6" wide wheels with tires that supposedly should be on 6 1/2" wheels. I wonder what wheels are on the newer rigs that come with the Sailun tires, 6" or 6 1/2" wheels? Even the Goodyear G614 tires show the 6 1/2" wheel specs and they were being installed on 6" wheels before they started installing the Sailuns.
I just looked at my 2018 rims (best I could) running the factory installed Sailun ST235/80R16. There is a stamping on one of the spokes - says EW 6. Other spokes say maximum pressure 110psi & maximum load 3750 lbs. They don't make it easy to see without removing the tire, did not look when doing brake/bearing in Winter. My tire pressure has not really changed since last trip in early July.