Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
Slides stalling/stopping

We have a 2019 3021RL and have trouble getting the lower slides to go in. They either stall or don’t move at all. Batteries are good and even plugged into the truck. Unplugged truck and then into a 50 amp plugin and zoom, they took off. Why does that happen?

Sutty’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
i am guessing the load is to great they are the hyd slides correct. Maybe put a voltmeter on the batteries and have someone try to move them . personally i always try to have the shore power connected when moving them but i guess if you stop at a rest area or whatever and wanted to move them that will not work even being new the batteries could have sat for a while and be drawn down. the voltmeter when trying them should tell you if the voltage gets to low to move them.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There are thousands of Posts here about stopping and starting slides. Here are a few of the normal causes. More discussion can be found by doing a Search on "slide stopping" or such.

o - The current flow from the truck to the batteries has insufficient amperage to be effective. The pump can draw over 50 amps and there is no way the vehicle 12V charge line can meet this need.

o - The batteries are shot. What voltage are they 30 minutes after the shore power is removed? They should be 12.6 /- volts.

o - There are two 50 amp self resetting circuit breakers between the batteries, converter, and hydraulic pump. When they get weak they open up well before the draw gets to 50 amps. Eventually one will fail altogether. Be aware the pump can draw over 50 amps (80 amps are not unknown) particularly when it is cold (I suspect ID is cold this time of year).

o - Normally the converter cannot supply the required amperage to run the pump. Since yours does, I am assuming the batteries are helping and the start/stop is attributable to a circuit breaker opening.

o - The battery disconnect switch in the convenience center does prevent the batteries from charging but doesn't prevent the batteries from powering the pump. The problem here is a lack of charging to replace voltage used.

A quick check of voltage along the power circuit (battery, 50 amp CBs, converter) should identify the fault. Also a load test of the batteries may be in order.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
Thanks a ton folks. Appreciate your help. We joined Harvest Host and typically no hookups there, so want to get something figured out. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Put a volt meter on your battery when you try the slides while not connected to shore power and see how much the voltage drops.

It sounds like your batteries are weak, and shore power, and therefore converter running, provides enough power to help the batteries run the slides. Your batteries may be failing, or are simply not adequately charged. Only way to know for sure is a battery load test.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
I’ll get that volt meter and check things out. Thanks for the great info. Much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Lippert put out a TSB regarding upgrading the 50A self resetting circuit breaker. Look in the files section or search the forums.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As Daryl states, check the Search Engine at the top of the page and type in slide breakers or 50 amp breakers and you will find out what others have done to improve this situation. Also, you don't mention how many batteries or what type batteries you have in your unit. This would also help us give you answers to your problem.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #9
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
Thanks Rondo. Two 12 volt batteries for the trailer.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #10
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
The saga continues. Took the batteries to Auto Zone to make sure they were fully charged and had them tested. They are in great shape. Good Sam Technicians had me check for circuit breakers along the power supply. All auto resets. Camping World had me test all connections on the positive lines and the auto resets with volt meter and all have power to them. Even on both sides of the breaker connections. No power to the fuses, so a GS tech thinks there’s a loose connection after the wires go through the wall of the battery compartment into the trailer. The roads in Louisiana were a little rough, that’s for sure. Will work on it when we reach our final destination. Thanks for everyone’s input. Sure appreciate the help.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Any problems with your hydraulic jacks?
Or is it only with your hydraulic slides?
When you press the switch on the control panel what do you hear in the battery compartment?
Circuit breaker chattering (bad breaker)
Reversible hydraulic solenoid activating (no noise, could be bad, Download MyLCI app for troubleshooting procedure, or call Lippert help desk).
Hydraulic pump running?
Old 01-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #12
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
The Jack’s came up, but were intermittent. I’ll get the app. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It still sounds like a self-resetting circuit breaker is weak and failing. Have someone run the jacks or slides while you have your head in the front compartment near the CBs. You will hear it click when it fails and the pump stalls.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #14
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
Sounds good. I’ll give it a go at.one of our next stops. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I agree with Carl.
Classic symptoms of bad self resetting circuit breaker.
Works on shore power, not on batteries (or vice versa). In this case intermittent.
I had some intermittent 12v issues boondocking and running my inverter. Took a screwdriver handle and smacked each breaker. Fixed it.
I ordered a couple of these to replace them
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AHAD9C...MYKW0RER1QCK19
Old 01-30-2021, 12:18 AM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Yup, Carl has nailed it again. I'd be replacing at least one of the 50 amp self setting breakers with an 80 amp. This has been in a service bulletin from Lippert/LCI.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:38 AM   #17
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
Thanks everyone. Daryles, I’m getting my hammer out right now. Sure appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #18
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

Before everyone runs out and upgrades the 50-amp breaker, please read the service bulletin, PLEASE!

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001896.pdf

The bulletin clearly states: Failure to upgrade wiring after upgrading the circuit breaker can lead to overheating which can lead to fire, property damage, personal injury, or death.

We all know that the manufacture(s) do not over engineer ANY part of these units.

I'd suggest that in addition to checking the batteries (and you do need two!) for voltage, you also ensure that they can still deliver the amperage necessary to run this stuff. 12.6V batteries after charging can still be toast when it comes to delivering the amperage.
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with changing out the 50 auto reset circuit breaker to the pump to an 80 amp. An easy and inexpensive replacement. And I hope that corrects your problem.

But I am still not convinced that is the problem. Your description of slide stall or not moving at all when not connected to shore power, and then "zoom they took off" when connected to shore power is not typical of a bad breaker. It is still the same breaker whether connected to shore power or not.

Are your battery posts, clamps, and connections clean and tight? Other wire connections at the breaker clean and tight? Low voltage will cause a motor to draw extra amps. Dirty, loose, or bad connections can cause a voltage drop. And that can be enough to cause the extra amp draw and the breaker to trip. And connecting to shore power and running the converter can boost the voltage enough to correct the problem.

Good luck. Electrical problems can be really annoying.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #20
Sutty’s
Established Member

M.O.C. #28039
Thanks RickyRobert. Good info.