Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Help needed!

Someone posted a link here about a year ago to a video of a truck and trailer accident. From what I remember, it was pulling up hill when a gust of wind tipped both over. I have searched and can't find it. Does anyone remember it?

Never mind - found it on you-tube:

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I couldn't tell if he had any sway control on that travel trailer. If he did, it didn't help.

I know of two MOC members who have had fifthwheel Montanas laid on the side. One due to wind and the other on ice/snow. Both trucks stayed upright. The first was a dualie and the second a single rear wheel. I would think in any case having a trailer of any kind turn over would force a change in my underwear.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I couldn't tell if he had any sway control on that travel trailer. If he did, it didn't help.

I know of two MOC members who have had fifthwheel Montanas laid on the side. One due to wind and the other on ice/snow. Both trucks stayed upright. The first was a dualie and the second a single rear wheel. I would think in any case having a trailer of any kind turn over would force a change in my underwear.
Not to mention a couple Valiums!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We've seen a couple on their sides - not pretty at all!

And, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like where the TT flipped in the video above looks to be on I-80 near Lovelock, Nevada.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I recall what you were asking about Tom S. but don't know where the original post is located, but at least you found something on youtube. Not only does it look like there's no antisway bars, it doesn't look like there's a WDH either! This was just plain ignorance!

Twice, we've been on the highways and saw really bad RV accidents:

A trailer that had become "disconnected" from its tow vehicle and the trailer was in pieces strewn all over and the contents all over the place. It must have recently happened but there were no emergency vehicles around and there was no one cleaning up the mess. It was so bad, as we drove by I couldn't tell you if was a TT or a 5er.

The second time was a Class A (the smaller kind) and it was on its side, mostly intact but still pretty damaged and the only thing around was a small tow truck with the driver evaluating things. I'm pretty sure he was gonna send for a bigger truck.

Seeing these sure makes you wanna be more cautious. I can't imagine what the poor travelers went through and don't really want to but we'd like to think they are safe now.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Let me tell of a place you need to be very careful of high wind, on Fancy gap just north of the NC VA border on I77. Tractor trailers get bl owed over, and its common. If there is a high wind warning be careful, very careful.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad I didn't see this until we got set up again tonight. Went thru the mountains north of El Paso this morning in a thunderstorm. Tractor trailer went by me on a down hill stretch, crested a hill and put on his flashers and slowed way down. Once I crested the hill wind warning signs were all over the place so I dropped speed and he and I went thru the valleys at 25mph instead of 55. Everything was fine and that's the way I like to keep it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote