Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Caulking

The seam on the front section (outside) on my '08 3400RL has the silicone just below the bedroom splitting. How could I re do this as smooth as the bead done from the factory.

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I've had the same issue with my silicone caulking experiences. The stuff is so sticky it drags and spread when you try to go back with your finger and smooth it and push the caulk into the gap you are filling. It sticks to you fingers and you have the stuff everywhere. I need the caulk man from the factory every now and then. Maybe someone knows the secret.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, so re-did mine for same reason...developed a separation. I bought a tube of White Bathroom Silicon Sealant...put in caulk gun, brought a roll of paper towel, cleaned with windex, dry well, run bead down area of interest, wet finger and wipe in one continuous motion. Wipe off finger and re-wet finger with water, re-wipe silicon if not looking like factory job. Good to go.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yes, the trick is to WET your finger.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kmh3212

I've had the same issue with my silicone caulking experiences. The stuff is so sticky it drags and spread when you try to go back with your finger and smooth it and push the caulk into the gap you are filling. It sticks to you fingers and you have the stuff everywhere. I need the caulk man from the factory every now and then. Maybe someone knows the secret.
This has already been answered, but I want you to know that anyone can caulk like a pro. Make sure the point on the caulk tube is cut at an angle, and not to deep. Run a bead where you want it, then with a glass of water handy, dip your index finger in it then smooth the caulk down. I do it all the time, when I have caulk available. However, I just lick my finger rather than bother with a glass of water.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Lick your finger? Orv, I hope you don't have very big caulking jobs. After a while I suppose the caulk doesn't taste so good...

I'm being silly. For bigger jobs needing more than one dip, I use a Dixie cup to redip my finger and a damp rag or paper towel to clean my finger for each multiple repetitions - do not double dip. Just remember that caulk is NOT Bondo and should not be used for repairing large gaps. There are other products for that problem.

Orv brings up two of the biggest first time caulkers' problems. 1.) Use a slight angle cut on the dispenser tip. This helps the application neatness especially at the start and end of applying it. 2.) Be careful to lop off the smallest bit of the tip to meet your need. You are not applying toothpaste, and the wider the bead of caulk, the more exponential the mess (and cleanup). Whenever smoothing out the caulk with your moistened finger and you've gone two inches and you have a golfball size of caulk on your finger, well, you've lopped too much off the tip. And I'll add 3.) Clean your finger often and after each wipe otherwise you'll have more of a mess to clean up.

Lastly, if you don't like getting your fingers messy a tight fitting latex glove will work but you must still wet the finger tip you use for smoothing things out and wipe it clean often.

You'll be quite impressed with the finished look if you use this technique.

Happy caulking,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
The angle and size of the tip cut provide you with the tool you need to run a good bead. The pressure you apply and the speed that you work is important - let the tip do the work for you. It takes a steady hand, a good eye, and paying attention. I run finish beads daily with my work (replacement windows and doors) and rarely touch the caulking I've laid down other than a little touch up. Watch out for those air bubbles...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Thanks a lot everyone for their replies. I will try this weekend
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I was doing everything right but using the water on the finger. I'll try that on the next caulk job! Thanks!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote