Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
replacing awning

We just had the wind take out our awning material so we are considering replacing it with a carefree eletric one. My question is, What material is the better. I am seeing that Carefree of Colorado offers Vinyl, poly weave vinyl or acrylic.
Thanks

dejama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
I believe the acrylic fabric will be the best in the long run.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Thanks, Do you have an opinion of Carefree of Colorado vs A&E?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dejama

We just had the wind take out our awning material so we are considering replacing it with a carefree eletric one. My question is, What material is the better. I am seeing that Carefree of Colorado offers Vinyl, poly weave vinyl or acrylic.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I believe Brad has the Carefree and has for some time. Maybe he will be along shortly to chime in.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I prefer the Carefree - as I feel the arm mechanism is stronger and more durable in a gust than A&E.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Thanks Brad, We did go with the carefree...now my next question is how do I know when the wind is to strong and the awning should be brought in? Mine seems to billow and jump a bit with what I would call pretty light wind here in Kansas.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have the A&E Electric with the wind sensor. We also had it on our Cambridge with the wind sensor. Never had a problem but the wind sensor wasn't any good you could breath on it and it would close up. The one we have now has a wind sensor also but has four different settings and so for works well. I also don't leave it out when we are away. Sounds like the Carefree is a good selection. If we decide to put slide toppers on we will look close at the Carefree. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Our Big Sky came with the Carefree electric awning. At first I wasn't real fond of it because we couldn't tie it down, but now we love it. If it gets to flapping too hard we just roll it up and we were able to get rid of a whole box of straps and stakes that we no longer need. As a matter of fact we will bring the box full of those goodies to the yard sale at the rally. We will also have two sets of flapper stoppers for sale too as they won't work on the new awning. Another plus is that the awning is high enough that I don't dent my head in the dark on the low corner. We also need the ladder to hang lights and to remove them if the weather gets bad so we found other places for the lights. We did not get a wind sensor though... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Delaine and Lindy, what kind of wind sensor do you have now. I have been trying to find info on the Girard but haven't had any luck yet.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dejama -

Over time my tolerance for the wind has increased a little with the awning. At first I pulled it in at the first sign of billowing, but now I just let it ride it out a little. It performs well. With the billow and the gas shock, I think it absorbs the wind a little better than the standard awning.

You will just have to get a feel for it. Just be sure to bring it in when you leave or sleep.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote