Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Service (uh uh) in Clermont

Upon arriving in Clermont nearly three weeks ago, I contacted the local Camping Connection, which is listed in the park brochure, for an estimate for some electrical work. They came out in record time to assess the work I wanted done and told me they would get back to me within 2 days with a written estimate. I patiently waited, a gift I have learned in later life, for them to respond. I called twice and left a message, today I called again and was told that our work order had been placed on the bottom of their list and the work I wanted done was something they did not want to do. I asked why they could not have called me in time to find someone else and all they could say was it slipped thru the cracks. BEWARE of this outfit.

My second esperience was with a local Goodyear store. I went in a week ago asking about metal valve stems and was told they could have them there the next day, again my patience was being tried. I waited and called, only to be told they had ordered the stems and they would be in today. Well I stopped by the store today and they still had not come in. I told the guy I could have ordered them online and had them shipped to me by now.

This leads me to believe that the economy is not as bad as thought or the folks here are just plain incompetent. I still do not have the metal stems for my truck so will try again in Jacksonville.

Oh well, shame on me for expecting good customer service.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, go to the nearest NAPA and pickup your own valve stems. They usually have them in stock and the Goodyear tire place down here just went over there and got them for me. No extra charge. There ARE some good places out there to deal with, keep trying... Dave P.S. the valve stems were 4.75 a piece..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil,

Every time I hear a story like this in this downturn I shake my head in disbelief.

Unbelieveable.

Sorry you are going through this.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, I will continue looking, the last few auto parts store I was in only had rubber stems with stainless shaft covers, but will keep looking, I just find it hard to believe that I couldn't get them done at a professional tire store......

Carol, It really makes me wonder what is REALLY going on.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Phil I see what you are saying about the econimy and SERVICE vendors have they got that much work that they can be that selective in earning money.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Yes they can. Why, it's the employees not the owners. If the owners had known of this they would be spinning, (polite way to say ..... employee). I have just redone our employee manual to state our new training policy. Bottom line it shows the otherside / outside of the door, bye or outta here. If they don't care enough about the customer they'll never care enough about their jobs. This is my livelyhood don't mess with it.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I guess my next question is: Does anyone know of a GOOD RV Repair shop in Jacksonville area? We will be at Mayport NAS from this Wed to next Wed. Would like to call ahead to make arrangements. Would like someone to hardwire my Hughes Autoformer and Progressive Industries EMS into front compartment. Also need an RG6 (?) cable and a 110 circuit run into the basement. I would like to do this myself but I am NOT electrically inclined. I could help but not be the primary tech.....

Any suggestions appreciated...... THANKS A BUNCH FOLKS!!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Well, gosh, I wasn't going to mention this, but . . .

When we picked up our Monty after its "extended vacation" (7+ months at the dealership for minor warranty work), you may have read elsewhere on the forum my post saying that the defective window hadn't been replaced and the couch drawer railings still didn't allow the drawer to open and close correctly. That was on April 10th. We went ahead and brought the rig home after being assured that the new window and railings would be ordered that day.

Friday, April 24th, I called to see why I hadn't heard from the service department about those 2 items and to check that they were indeed there and ready to be installed, as promised. Uh, duh, we'll call you back. That didn't happen.

Four hours later, I called the dealership again. Someone in the service department said the guy who took my original call asked what he should do, "just bite the bullet and tell me the straight story or what?" Ha ha. Well, not to worry, because "a call had been made to Keystone and the delivery date for the parts April 30th."

What would you think? I think that if I hadn't called the dealership, I'd still be waiting on a call from them And why do I have the feeling that those parts weren't ordered until I called on April 24th?

Once again, I don't think my business is important to my dealer. It should be--we bought from him once, and we recently told him that we may be moving to another model, with a desk, within a year or less--not sure, because we love our 3585 floor plan, but we think we may need the real desk in the 3465 floor plan. I guess our current and future business is of no interest. If it were, I believe that window and railings would have been ordered on the Friday that we picked up our rig and discovered those two things had not been fixed, although they were on the work order.

Am I feeling good about this entire saga at the moment? No. If business is down, I would think retailers would be doing anything possible to attract and keep customers. I would think . . .

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Phil, please avoid Dick Gore's RV World. There isn't enough room on the world wide web for me to tell you of my disgust. He has outfits in both Jacksonville and Savannah. Just roll on by...
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Phil, Check out Suncoast RV in J'ville. I have dealt with a couple of their other locations, To be honest they don't seem to be any better or any worse than the rest.

As far as metal valve stems look into Tire Kingdom. They have locations all over Florida. When I bought my 4 Michelins they had the metal stems in stock.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Phil,
I hope you find someone to do the install. I did my own (I am electrically inclined) and it's not that difficult. If you can, try to keep an eye on them when they do it. One, you'll know where the wire is run and two, you can make sure that they don't do something stupid like lean on plumbing or ducts while they are doing the install.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
When we where in Florida our friends Montana electrial system caught on fire. They had it towed to Lazy Days no appointment which we thought they where crazy with no appointment. They worked on it that day and it was some place. We went there to see them and if we needed work done that is where we would go in Florida. I think it is about 40 min. from Clermont. Customer Service was #1 there and they made a point of making it number 1. I don't think you will be disappointed! If they have to keep your rig overnight, you can stay right in the bay or they have sites for your rig. Anyone getting work done they provide breakfast and lunch as a customer service, no charge. The place is hudge. We where so impressed. They could not do enought for our friends.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, Picked up three stems at Clermont NAPA, all they had. Will look for more at NAPA in J'ville. The guy told me I could order one day and they would be in the next, so we'll see.

cdaniels, wish I had known that earlier as we are leaving this area tomorrow for Jacksonville. Will try Suncoast there, thanks for the reply though.....
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Sorry I did not see your thread earlier, but it is nice to know they are there for any future Florida trips. They are great!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We moved to the Tampa Bay area of Florida from Connecticut in 1995. I have found that with the large populations here in Tampa and Orlando that there is no incentive for retailers, doctors, etc to offer any customer service. If you don't buy from them there are 20 more behind you. Of course there are always exceptions, but for the most part I feel my statement is true
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Phil -

Would the NAPA store call ahead for you and have the valve stems waiting when you get there? Just a thought to avoid the continued running around. Good luck on getting your autoformer installed. Let me know the price when you get it done. We may have our dealer put when in before we pick up the Big Sky.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
HALLELUIJA, HALLELUIJA, HALLELUIJA....I now have 6 metal valve stems, now to find someone to install them. It took going to 4 NAPA stores to get the 6 stems......

Ron, I would seriously consider having the dealer install the autoformer, just make sure a qualified electrician does the install. I think that was my problem in Clermont, they didn't have a qualified electrician to do the work....
Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Try Palm Tire in Clermont. Have used them on numerous occasions for tire problems on equipment at Clerbrook RV. Even got a metel stem for the kubota from the junk box. They are very accommodating. They are on the other end of 27 from where you are. About a mile from Citris Tower. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #19
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We seem to live in an “I can order it for you society” “We don’t have it but we can get it for you” or “I can have it tomorrow.” Something like a HP valve stem should be something that you could get and any tire dealer but in reality things just aren’t that way anymore. Oh the good ole days when you could go in a store and buy pretty much what you wanted or needed. Now days if Wal-Mart don’t have it, you wind up looking for it on the internet!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I agree with Bill-N-Donna's statement. But, you have to consider this - keeping a large inventory on hand is expensive. Expensive to buy, store and then there is also the maintenance and depreciation.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote