Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
What's a Ball Joint?

Truck has +90k on it...Auto Locker's wouldn't move, so...as a DIYer I did some serious googling and now am an expert. Ok, so I had a father who gave me a basis for my attitude, "labor is free here just need the right tool".

She's all apart now....

What I have learned...my body is not accepting this amount of extra activity as it used too! Rebuild is going to be slow go, after work effort and hopefully less aspirin!!!

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Been there...................But don't want to go back. Have "fun".
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I remember those days (foolish youngster) when anything that went wrong had to be fixed personally. 1972 Camaro changing balljoints with the tools on hand (20 pound sledge under the fender well, beating the daggone things out). If you haven't been there, trust me I can't explain it!!! I truly hope that the removal you underwent was easier than what I remember doing years ago!!! I definitely agree with your statement about the right tools, but as I said - back then I was the "foolish youngster", Oh well at least I got past the youngster part!!
bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm not a Ford man. Have owned Fords in the past, but never a 4WD. Is your problem with the ball joints, or a constant velocity joint behind the hub? That looks like a foreign language to me, as the GM products have been IFS since someone in late 80s.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I did it on a Landcruser I had in the 70's, it took a while and some reading, dut I did it, chock it up as another learning experance in your life. great pictures, is that rust I see inside the axel tube housing?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
SlickWillie, Is your problem with the ball joints, or a constant velocity joint behind the hub?
Lower Ball Joint...doing the "clunk, clunk" when yanking on top/bottom of tire
Replaced both upper and lower ball joints...now the process of reassembly

Trailer Trash 2, is that rust I see inside the axle tube housing?
Yes it is, seems the Ford axle design has a bit of walk to it and the Seal separated, have new one...
Good news, there is an inner cone seal that actually maintains the 90wt separation...so that area is 'dry'...mine obviously was exposed to moisture

Oh...and now the Fun Meter is pegging!
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
After I bought my 2004 F250 4x4 I had to have a provincial inspection and after less than 32000 miles the ball joints were worn so it would not pass inspection here in BC. My mechanic told me it was quite common on the 2000 - 2004 or somewhere around those years for the ball joints to last just beyond the 30000 warranty. and yes they were worn which I did not notice until it was jacked up and checked. The front end did move around a whole bunch. It does drive better after they were installed, however it drove OK before. The new ones have zerks where the original one did not.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Noneck, I don't have a problem, just curious. I noted you said the Auto Locker wouldn't work. Wondering why a worn ball joint would effect the Auto Locker? Ford still use a u-joint configuration for cv joints? Like I said, the GMs I have worked on over the last 20 years have the ball and knuckle type cv joints. BTW, I just had both front bearing ass'y on front of the GMC replaced to the tune of over $1000. They're notorious for early failure. No place to work on it here.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't believe those are called "ball joints". I believe ball joints are what are used as the pivot point on an A frame or lower control arm (mostly 2WD). If I'm not mistaken, I believe these are "pin bushings" or something like that. Even the Ford 2WD has used them since the 60s when they introduced the Twin I-Beam suspension.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I don't believe those are called "ball joints". I believe ball joints are what are used as the pivot point on an A frame or lower control arm (mostly 2WD). If I'm not mistaken, I believe these are "pin bushings" or something like that. Even the Ford 2WD has used them since the 60s when they introduced the Twin I-Beam suspension.
Seems like on my 1964 Ford pickup I replaced the "king pin" bushings.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Seems like on my 1964 Ford pickup I replaced the "king pin" bushings.
Yep - I think that was it Slick.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
SlickWille, The Auto locker was my original scope of work, when I was about to pull it I noted the the lower ball joint would wobble under pressure.
You guys are funny, So...ball joints are replaced and front Knuckle is re-installed. Currently trying to build a tool to install the axle seal...and yes the Fun Meter still pegged!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
After a momentary scare (ABS Light), apparently the computer detected when I had the left front sensor unplugged. So this job is done...4x4 working again.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

After a momentary scare (ABS Light), apparently the computer detected when I had the left front sensor unplugged. So this job is done...4x4 working again.
Great! I looked at some of the ball joints on the Ford 4 X 4's. Big son of a guns. Press fit? ABS sensor is one of the factors that add to the cost of the GM bearing ass'y. They are made in the ass'y.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Yes, pressed mine in with C-clamp press from Advance Auto Parts place...temporary charge my credit card $162.00...got that back on return so...zero cost. I see Harbor Freight has that tool for $59.00 so I'm likely gonna own one soon, never have enough tools!