Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Dead batteries

So I had a a credit on the books for a while so I bring the Monty to the local rv place to have them winterize it never had a washer machine so I figured let them do so 2 weeks go buy and they call it’s ready when I go to hook up and the batteries are dead as a door bell hook up the truck and go in side to sea they left the lights on so my question are my 3month old Trogan T-105 toast they were Gonna charge them and load test I was told if they go below 50% charged there no good how do I tell if they are good or toast I also have the solar package

Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think I have heard it just shortens the life expectancy. I have (me bad) run mine completely (almost) down and still was able to use them for several years.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
#1- There is a reason I do NOT let anyone do ANY work on ANTTHING I own. Cuz every time I do, something is always not done correctly. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

#2- They should absolutely replace your batteries. Shame on them, they should know that batteries taken below 50% charge reduces there life.

#3- No way am I going to tow my unit (burning up fuel ) to anyplace to have it winterized, free or not. That service should be like jiffylube, 15 mins in and out. 2 weeks to winterize, that's BS
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Draining any type of lead acid battery below 50% shortens the capacity and life. Usually by about half.

If the batteries are run below 10v the charger on the solar may pop the 30a fuse connected to the battery. If you look at your solar remote, the top line is the solar panel information and the bottom line is the battery. when it's sunny, you want to see 26+ volts in the top left corner and 12+ in the lower left. The lower right should say "BLK" for Bulk.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If your battery is completely dead it is probably ruined. Sorry!
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I wouldn't give up on the batteries too quickly. Depleting lead acid 12v batteries does not always result in a much shorter life. I've been able to use depleted batteries multiple times and still gotten good performance for a few years.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Where would the fuse be located
Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Galaxie View Post
Draining any type of lead acid battery below 50% shortens the capacity and life. Usually by about half.

If the batteries are run below 10v the charger on the solar may pop the 30a fuse connected to the battery. If you look at your solar remote, the top line is the solar panel information and the bottom line is the battery. when it's sunny, you want to see 26+ volts in the top left corner and 12+ in the lower left. The lower right should say "BLK" for Bulk.
Where would the fuse be located ???
Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If your battery is completely dead it is probably ruined. Sorry!
Lynwood
There suppose to charge them and load test them caught between a rock and a hard place
Old 12-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
#1- There is a reason I do NOT let anyone do ANY work on ANTTHING I own. Cuz every time I do, something is always not done correctly. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

#2- They should absolutely replace your batteries. Shame on them, they should know that batteries taken below 50% charge reduces there life.

#3- No way am I going to tow my unit (burning up fuel ) to anyplace to have it winterized, free or not. That service should be like jiffylube, 15 mins in and out. 2 weeks to winterize, that's BS
I completely agree. I try and do all my own basic maintenance, and if I don't know how to do something I will look up online to educate myself so I know how. I know some people are not mechanically inclined or physically able to do the routine maintenance and it kills me when dealerships or repair facilities screw a person over.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
I've said and typed this many times before. If your unable, for any reason, to do basic maintenance and repairs on your camper; You're in for a long, frustrating, and expensive time with RV ownership.

If your not able to do these things yourself, you better have deep pockets with lots of patience and time to kill. Your dealer will love you though.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyj571 View Post
Where would the fuse be located ???
The fuse is located in a red fuse holder on a red 10awg wire about 18 inches from the battery. Look behind the batteries where the bundle of wires come out of the floor.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #13
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
The best way to charge batteries when they have been depleted is to use a 2 amp charger. I had an Interstate battery in my antique pickup for 14 years. My failure to check the battery voltage frequently lead to near complete discharge several times. Each time it charged and held the charge. It takes a few days at 2 amps, but charging at a high rate will overheat the batteries and boil the water out of them. And they will emit explosive gasses. A spark near the batteries may ignite the gasses and blow up the battery. I learned this the hard way about 50 years ago, when I didn't know anything about batteries. One blew up in my face. Luckily I was very close to a water faucet and my glasses protected my eyes. Always disconnect battery leads after the charger has been turned off. Hope this helps someone.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #14
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
I've said and typed this many times before. If your unable, for any reason, to do basic maintenance and repairs on your camper; You're in for a long, frustrating, and expensive time with RV ownership.

If your not able to do these things yourself, you better have deep pockets with lots of patience and time to kill. Your dealer will love you though.
That is a bit condescending. I used to do nearly all my work, beginning in 1976. Now I don't think my pockets are that deep, never frustrated and never waste time at dealerships. My last 4 have been purchased at the same dealer. The sales manager, parts guys, service manager, and 2 writers know me when I walk in. My 5er has not been left over night in a decade or more, simply tell them the warranty problem, send pictures and bring it in and wait/watch the work being done. I get along great with my mobile tech. He can schedule weeks to months in advance for my work. If there is a timely problem he will be there within 24 hours. Paratrooper knees keep me off the roof and crawling around. In my younger days several owners would have a weekend where we worked together on each others campers and took care of all the maintenance with never a labor charge. Hope you give up the lifestyle before your age or health requirs others to work on your 5er or you are going to be miserable.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
That is a bit condescending. I used to do nearly all my work, beginning in 1976. Now I don't think my pockets are that deep, never frustrated and never waste time at dealerships. My last 4 have been purchased at the same dealer. The sales manager, parts guys, service manager, and 2 writers know me when I walk in. My 5er has not been left over night in a decade or more, simply tell them the warranty problem, send pictures and bring it in and wait/watch the work being done. I get along great with my mobile tech. He can schedule weeks to months in advance for my work. If there is a timely problem he will be there within 24 hours. Paratrooper knees keep me off the roof and crawling around. In my younger days several owners would have a weekend where we worked together on each others campers and took care of all the maintenance with never a labor charge. Hope you give up the lifestyle before your age or health requirs others to work on your 5er or you are going to be miserable.
Although I agree with Creeker that one should possess the ability to do most/some of your own maintenance work if you own an RV, as I get older, some things are getting harder to do and will eventually have to be done my someone much younger and with more flexibility. LOL

Hell 25 years ago I would have no problem reroofing my 26sq house. (which I did) Now at only 58 hell no.

I still do all my on maintenance on everything I own, but there will come a day when that is simply just not possible.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Unlike your post John, mine was not intended to be condescending. Only a bit of truth geared toward new and younger RV'ers. I stand by it 100% for the huge majority of RV owners.

I have no doubt your dealer and service techs know you very well.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #17
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I agree with Buckfisher, charging with a 2 amp “slow” charger is best for your deep cycle batteries. You may need to use higher amps to start the charge, then switch to 2 amp. If your batteries were totally dead they probably have been damaged. I would ask for a replacement, especially if they are new. I take my battery out of my rig and tell the dealer to use one of theirs. I have learned my lesson after my dealer killed my new battery. If they kill their battery, its on them. They did replace my battery after I had a little debate about it. It may charge and work fine for a while but it does shorten the life of the battery. A load test wont show you how much capacity you lost, it will only show current load capacity. It may be fine now but for how long? That is the issue. If it was a lead acid battery, they are more forgiving about a deep discharge than an AGM battery. If your dealer is a reputable dealer, they should replace it. They can always use your old one in their shop. Im sure it wouldn’t be the first time.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #18
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Would the addition of ground wire disconnect, shutting off inverter and turning off supply to inverter save the batteries?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:31 AM   #19
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I put a knife style disconnect on the negative post of our battery box. It will save your batteries, unless and until someone finds it and reconnects it. I use it to disconnect the batteries while in storage. I store them fully charged and disconnected.
RMcNeal is online now   Reply With Quote