Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #41
4dabirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #23111
We were looking at the Vilano 370GB and ended up with a new 2018 Montana 3820FK Legacy Edition because we just couldn’t get the price down on the Vilano down into the high $60s we were willing to pay - 6 months earlier before their popularity increased we were there but didn’t pull the trigger. Then a dealer in our area trying to establish themselves worked hard to earn our business bringing the price on the Montana down to $47k. We compromised on bathroom size and the placement of the washer / dryer in a less convenient spot, but most everything else about the unit ticked our boxes in terms of functional spaces, and the price, at about $30k less than we could get the Vilano for, is what closed the deal. Having used the unit 9 times in the last 6 months, once over a period of 4 days in extreme cold, snow, and high wind, I would say we are both very surprised and very happy with its performance. The weather was down into the single digits, with 50 mph winds (so negative numbers with wind chill) and the heaters, tank heaters, and insulation did their job amazingly well. We had a Cruiser before this with a 4 Season package and while we loved it, there is no way it could have handled the weather we found ourselves in that week. Meanwhile, the Montana was completely unphased. To us, this says a great deal about our actual build, and while only time will tell if the unit as a whole holds up, we would definitely look to Montana when it’s time to replace the rig.

We have had just a few issues with the unit in terms of build. Looking through the forum, they were issues many other folks have had as well, so it was easy to understand both how to fix them, and what to expect. Dealer warranty service has been ok as long as we point it out and explain the issue, they have been willing to take it to the company and advocate for repair / replacement. As someone else stated, it feels as though you the owner need to troubleshoot the problem down to its root cause, and then the service people will do the work. That’s not just with warranty work, unfortunately, that feels like a workforce and training issue these days.

Service through our dealer has been pretty good compared to some of the Camping World horror stories I have heard.

Looking at the brand purely from a quality standpoint, as others have said, the High Country units do suffer some. We have friends with a HC that have had slide issues and the entire unit just feels like it is a little lesser quality even though they spent a little more on their unit than we did. Because of their experience, we would likely not look at the HC units at all in the future.

Dave and Kim Bird
2018 Montana 3820FK Legacy Edition
2016 Ford F250
4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #42
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
We really enjoyed our 2017 for 2 years. We put more miles and nights on it then most people do in a decade with nothing but a few cosmetic problems. Two weeks ago we traded on a new 3761FL as my wife wanted the front living room and I wanted more storage as most of our trips are 1 - 4 months long. We like the new one even more. CW prices are great and we have always had good service from CW in Myrtle Beach.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #43
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dabirds View Post
We were looking at the Vilano 370GB and ended up with a new 2018 Montana 3820FK Legacy Edition because we just couldn’t get the price down on the Vilano down into the high $60s we were willing to pay - 6 months earlier before their popularity increased we were there but didn’t pull the trigger. Then a dealer in our area trying to establish themselves worked hard to earn our business bringing the price on the Montana down to $47k. We compromised on bathroom size and the placement of the washer / dryer in a less convenient spot, but most everything else about the unit ticked our boxes in terms of functional spaces, and the price, at about $30k less than we could get the Vilano for, is what closed the deal. Having used the unit 9 times in the last 6 months, once over a period of 4 days in extreme cold, snow, and high wind, I would say we are both very surprised and very happy with its performance. The weather was down into the single digits, with 50 mph winds (so negative numbers with wind chill) and the heaters, tank heaters, and insulation did their job amazingly well. We had a Cruiser before this with a 4 Season package and while we loved it, there is no way it could have handled the weather we found ourselves in that week. Meanwhile, the Montana was completely unphased. To us, this says a great deal about our actual build, and while only time will tell if the unit as a whole holds up, we would definitely look to Montana when it’s time to replace the rig.

We have had just a few issues with the unit in terms of build. Looking through the forum, they were issues many other folks have had as well, so it was easy to understand both how to fix them, and what to expect. Dealer warranty service has been ok as long as we point it out and explain the issue, they have been willing to take it to the company and advocate for repair / replacement. As someone else stated, it feels as though you the owner need to troubleshoot the problem down to its root cause, and then the service people will do the work. That’s not just with warranty work, unfortunately, that feels like a workforce and training issue these days.

Service through our dealer has been pretty good compared to some of the Camping World horror stories I have heard.

Looking at the brand purely from a quality standpoint, as others have said, the High Country units do suffer some. We have friends with a HC that have had slide issues and the entire unit just feels like it is a little lesser quality even though they spent a little more on their unit than we did. Because of their experience, we would likely not look at the HC units at all in the future.

Wow they did great in the price for a new Unit to be that low and have the Legacy Package? The lowest I have see for any Montana with a Legacy Pkg was about $59K we paid a little more than you for our brand new 2018 3121RL but it has everything but full body paint and no Legacy Pkg as I am in IT and have done some research on the In Command and did not find the system to have that great of reviews at the time we purchased. We got a great price from CW in Columbia SC however after the purchase price everything else went down hill dealing with CW.

We made a connection with a rep at Keystone and they have been great pushing our unit thru CW but for the most part other than warranty issues needing parts I have corrected any little flaw and done all the other work to our h it and we are pleased.

Be careful in 20 degree or colder weather as the valves on the outside and inside tent to freeze and you can’t open them. I bought an electric wire wrap that keeps the temp about 42 degrees so no more issues with that.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:32 PM   #44
Dellflyboy

M.O.C. #17720
I would never buy another Montana, the refrigerator was always a problem, in hot weather they worked to cool down the trailer, we took it in several times and every time the service techs said it worked fine. The final straw is when our 2015’s frame collapsed we got it fixed and traded it in. We always had issues with the Montana and won’t have another.
Dellflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:44 AM   #45
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Looking at actual market and actual competitors and their models and solutions - we would by another Montana in a heartbeat

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:10 AM   #46
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
This is our first one and have had it for a year and yes, we'd buy another one. If anyone buys an RV and thinks there will never be issues, well, think again. They all have issues and always will, these things are built and roll down highways at speeds matching a hurricane and earthquakes, and will have things break, fall off, etc. It happens. One thing I'm noticing that it's not more of the manufacture then it's the dealer not fixing stuff in a respectable time frame. The dealer we bought ours from has been good, quick turnarounds, friendly CS, etc. This is our 3rd RV but first fiver
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #47
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
We are on our 2nd new Montana with a Heartland Cyclone toy hauler in between.

All of the rigs have been pretty decent for issues; all being relatively minor but annoying.

I have heard quite a few horror stories from friends / family having bad issues with other brands (good buddy is having nothing but problems with a brand new Jayco which hasn't even left his yard yet).

My take on it; the dealer makes a big difference, they need to be a buffer not a pass through between the customers and the factory. Dealers with good pre-delivery processes will significantly affect the happiness of the first customer.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #48
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
Probably, probably one that's a year or two old were all the issues have been addressed and fixed. I have a new 2018 3701lk four seasons legend, it has had a lot of little issues I fix myself and a recall, just started a trip from CA to TX. Now I have a couple major issues.
I will make a new post on the issues.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #49
tgkittle

M.O.C. #22047
We bought a 3731FL in early 2018 and used it all summer and part of the fall. We probably have about 12-15 trips on it and we have had only a couple of small issues that we resolved.
Yes, I would buy another one.
B&W Companion slider hitch
tgkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #50
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Our 2008 3000RK has been pretty darn good! Decals aside we have had very few issues. Personally I will not buy anything much after that time frame. Seems quality has fell off over the years with all the manufactures and products. JMO!
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #51
norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #5258
No way
norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #52
norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #5258
No way wont even consider
norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #53
Tamu320
Established Member

M.O.C. #23100
I will never buy another Montana or any Keystone product! We bought the "luxury" Montana (their top of the line) for our once in a lifetime journey with our kids... 1.5 yrs on the road. We left June 2018 and have had so many problems, so many lost days, and so much money lost. We recently had to get some body work done and Camping world ordered (correctly) the metal needed from Keystone. After waiting for 2 wks, it arrived smashed and too short. We had to reorder and were delayed another 9 days. Due to the heat in AZ, we had to vacate our camper (and oh by the way, we only had one functional ACU because the main ACU was dead... again, and thanks to the idiots at Keystone we missed TWO appts to get it fixed). We had to seek refuge in a hotel and eat out every day. By the time the new part came in, we were well over $1500 out of pocket. Long story short, Keystone "declined to participate in any acts of gratuity". SERIOUSLY???? Keystone screwed up my order, our travel plans, and displaced an entire family, and takes no responsibility?? NEVER AGAIN will I buy any Keystone product.
Tamu320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:38 AM   #54
captjac39
Established Member

M.O.C. #21192
bought a new 2017 381th from General RV. Love it many problems mostly minor if I were to do it again I would buy a year or two old and let the poor first owner work the bugs out. The biggest problem is the dealer, who mine was incompetent and had to go back several times before I was sick of it and brought it to a local guy who fixed the problems after a year. Good luck
captjac39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #55
klewis6787
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23375
Yes I would buy one again and did buy a 2017 381TH used and have had a few minor problems but have only had it a short time and seams to be working good for us.
Kurt Lewis
klewis6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #56
sleatherland53

M.O.C. #23881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuma310 View Post
New member here, and seriously considering a Montana. We have a small cougar and have used it for the last 3 years, many miles on it and about 3 months at a time. Had a Jayco Eagle back in 2005, nice unit. I talk to many fifth wheel owners and have never heard one complain about their Montana, and many have had several. I know most of the components are the same in all brands and it comes down to luck as to how good is the build. And I am sure we have all heard someone bashing whatever brand they have for something most of us would just fix. We have narrowed are search to a solitude 310GK or a Montana 312RL. So for all the Montana owners, would you buy another Montana?
And thanks for a great forum.http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...lies/thumb.gif
Carl
We love our Montana, and I agree with most positive posts on this subject. It's all down to having a good dealer who stands by what they sell and how they handle servicing. We had some small initial issues which they took care of under warranty. Since then we had some upgrades and a repair caused by a tire blowout, our dealers have been fantastic.
sleatherland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #57
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I have been pondering this question for several days. My experience well was not the best at all. The CW where I purchased the unit never told me it was a demo unit, that it was vandalized, until after the paperwork was signed. After the paperwork was signed then we did the walk through, that will never happen again ! CW tried to tell me the 32 inch TV in the living room was OE. After going back and forth and getting upset he finally admitted it wasn't and they finally replaced the TV. There were other things that were wrong VERY wrong but ill keep it short... In total for the first 8 month of ownership my local CW (different from where I purchased) had the unit for 6 months repairing all the defects.

My next unit there will be a walk through before I sign anything !! I will ask for all disclosures on the unit. The PDI was horrible, as I never had one before still figuring out how to use everything.

As far as the manufacturer of the unit its ok I guess, the crown moulding fell off the first trip ( right above the entry door), the AC unit was not sealed and water was coming in from the return vent. Seals around the exterior storage areas leaked. Bedroom door wouldn't close. again ill keep it short. Whatever I purchase next the PDI will be a lot better on my part I just didn't know what to look for, since being here im way more educated. At the end of the day we love our unit but wow did it take a lot of time and patience to get it useable considering it was sold as new !!

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #58
Starman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23643
2 years with a casita trailer...O problems. 15 years with a fleet wood...Not one problem. 2 years with the Montana, you name it. Leaky roof, burned up a.c. Motor, blown inverter fuses, water heater failures, shades falling off walls, slide issues, leveling system problems, vacuum cleaner electrical fire problem, faucet’s leaking/cracked, rear camera issues, bathroom door, shower door, roof ladder mounted very loosely, black water tank valve leaks. And this isn’t everything.
Would I own another, NO! In fact I would have traded it in for a different brand if I wouldn’t be taking it in the shorts with the trade in value. Am greatly disappointed with keystone. Two summer vacations spent at dealerships getting repairs done and June we leave for a third.
We call our 5er lemonade only cause when you get a lemon, you try to make lemonade. It is what it is.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #59
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Yes! We had a SOB for 9 years but moved up to a Montana 2 years ago for the comfort and features of 5ers in the Montana price range. We spent a lot of time finding a dealer we trusted and could not be happier. We have had some minor issues that were covered and taken care of under warranty. Finding a good dealer is key to owning any RV.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #60
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
I also had shades falling off the walls, lot of screws loose when you go to tighten them they're completely stripped out,
I found a lot of keystone's issues is the use self tapping sheet metal screws into thin plywood, when they should be using self tapping wood screws, major difference