Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
Lippert Slidout (Hydralic)

Anyone out there that can give information on adjusting the Living room slideout so it will seal both on the outside as well as on the inside,
With that said the driven end of the slide was not sealing had about 1/2" gap to let dirt and water in from the outside. I lowered the driven-end gear and pulled the front of the slid in about 1" now it seals perfect from the outside but the inside has about the same gap of about 1" on the inside when the slide is in the out position.I see other things I could change (but) thought some of you might have had the same problem and any good advice would be appreciated. Shirley and I are in Alaska for another two months, about 200 miles from any R/V service and I would like to have fixed before ir really get cold again, and we make the trip back to Kansas.
Thanks so much for any and all advice.
Jerry & Shirley Smith

Jerry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jerry Smith,

There are a number of discussions here on the Forum that discuss how to adjust the slides. I've never done it so can't personally help. So try the search function and see what show up.

There is a member on the Forum that used to work for Lippert and he can give you a lot of info on how to adjust. I think he may have posted that info already. His user name is MIMF.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Look at the ends of the hydraulic cylinder and the rod on the passive side. The cylinder rod always moves a set distance out/in. There space between the outer nut and the inner nut allows for adjustment on how far the slide moves in each direction. The inner nut adjusts how far the slide is pushed out. The outer one adjusts how far the slide is pulled in. They should be adjusted so the side of the slide stays parallel with the side of the unit. Make any adjustments very carefully as a miss-adjustment can destroy the slide. I don't know how the dealer or factory does the adjustment. Use at your own risk.

edit: Try calling Lippert for guidance also. Everything you want to know about Lippert slides [if this is the right manual].
http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...nuals&Itemid=6
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Also look at this link http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...d=61&Itemid=68 and go to "Informational Publication 0131.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
A lot more clear than mine John.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming you have both sides of the slide insync by removing the 1/4" bolt in the crossover shaft and matching both sides distance away from the side of the fiver then reinstalling the bolt ... adjust the large nuts on the end of the cylinder rod a little at a time to get your desired result. One nut is 1 1/16" the 2 lock nuts are 1 1/8". The inner nuts control stroke out ... the outer nut controls stroke in. The cylinder has more stroke than needed to fully open and close the slide, so that is why there is a gap between the angled bracket and both nuts. DO NOT SNUG BOTH NUTS UP AGAINST THE ANGLED BRACKET OR YOU WILL BREAK SOMETHING EXPENSIVE!!!!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerry, I can't tell what year Montana you have. Our 2007 has instructions for adjusting the slides in a manual that came with the rig. Our 2001 and 2003 did not have that info with the rig.

MIMF, mentioned above, showed me how to adjust hours. The manuals and posts above give you the information. But one thing MIMF showed me that is important is to start adjustment with the slide 1/3 to 1/2 way out. Make your adjustments, then stand up and rock the heck out of the slide so it moves to where you adjusted the nuts. That rocks the whole rig but didn't hurt anything. Most important, it worked.

Good luck. Lots of good advice above.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If it sealed ok before, you should look to see if something has changed - either the nut come loose, or something bent or broken. It makes no sense that it would just suddenly get out of adjustment with out something being wrong.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have to agree with TOM S. That just dose not change unless something is broke. I would check ever thing I could before adjusting the slide out. If it looks OK then adjust as necessary. Try PM'ing MIMF. Do this first.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
I would agree with that if it ever sealed then it still should..And it did, but it did not seal until I made the adjustments. I find nothing loose, bent or broken. Our Montana is a 2007 3295RK we love it but must say we have had more little things and some not too little things happen with the 2007,(Shirley said she thinks it was built on a Friday before a three day week-end and sometime I agree) than we ever had with our older Montana a 2005 RK. We like the 2007 but it has been a chore to keep things as the should be.Thanks for ALL the help and advice, it was much appreciated. This would not have seemed such big a deal If we were not 4000 miles from home and 200 miles from the nearest R/V dealer..
Thanks again,
Jerry & Shirley Smith
Newton, Kansas
Jerry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote