Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
RVing Down Under?

Have any of you fine folks here had any experience RVing in Australia, preferably NOT in one of the organized tours? DW and I are planning a trip down there this fall (their spring) and are trying to decide whether to rent a van conversion or go the hotel/rail/rental car route. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Jan and Polly,
Ann and I lived in Alice Springs, NT, Australia for two years. We were already MOC members so had an RV mentality but never did it since we lived there. You have asked some good questions but we need some questions answered first. Email me and we can hook up on phone.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Second though and questions:
  • What cities do you want to visit.
    Are you comfortable boondocking. If you go boondocking, it is like survival if you go far off the main roads.
    There are Caravan (RV) parks in every city.
    Territories' parks have Caravan parking spots.

Their Caravan handle Black tanks different. They are removable tanks that you pull out and dump. Similar to a small tote buddy.

This is how they rough it in the outback

The pad is about 6" think and their tent and all. It is called a swag. This was taking at one of the territory parks. These gals camped there over night by themselves.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
On December 26 of the year 2000, we rented a car in Adelaide and drove to Sidney. We spent the first night in Mt. Gambier in a caravan park. Since we were in a small automobile, we rented a "simple motel" type room with kitchen. But it did give us a chance to see a typical caravan park. We also found the listings for caravan parks all across the country (in towns and cities). On the other nights of our drive we stayed in regular motels, but we deliberately chose to stay in the caravan park. I think an RV drive in Australia would be a great experience.

We talk almost daily with our Australian hosts from Adelaide. In fact, we talked last evening while we are here in Sunset King RV Resort near De Funiak Springs, Florida.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
All I know about RVing down under is that they call it Caravaning. Last week or so I was watching a show about the Best RV Resorts to visit and there was one in Australia. While the park did look nice and had some nice sites, the rigs were not very impressive like they were still campers. I did not see any of the major 5ers or Class As we see around here.

They seem to be a little more rustic when it comes to caravanning down under.

If you get down there and do it, please tell us all about it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote