Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Fantastic Fan Motor

I've searched the threads and don't find anything previous to this, so here goes.
Fantastic fan ran great on Saturday, and left it on automatic overnight, with the windows open. Sunday, went out to the camper to sanitize the water and dump the antifreeze, and fan would not operate. turned down the thermostat on the fan, and still no operation. Automatic dome and rain sensor are still operating with no problem. Gave the fan a couple of turns by hand to make sure it had not hung up. Free operation
Have not checked for 12v at the motor yet, as I had quite a few cool ones before the Talledega race. Question I have is, is there a thermal switch (thermister) equivalent in operation to a dryer, that would shut off power only to the fan if it overheated? I plan on checking the voltage this evening at the motor, but did not know if there was anything else downrange that would affect the motor only.
All fuses in the converter and the 4amp slow burn fuse at the motor were in outstanding shape.

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
From the roof you can see a switch that closes when the cover is open. This is a plunger type switch that makes contact to ground when the cover is open (so the fan will run). Take a 7/16" wrench and turn the nut a bit and see if that does the trick.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Call Fantastic at 800-521-0298, they're great people
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I'll try that bigmurf. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Here's the scoop on the fan.

Talked with Rodney at Fantastic Fan, after checking power, and plunger switch top side. Rodney stated very slight probability that the motor had gone out. Would probably be in the wall sensor that controls operation. They sent me a new wall unit with idea that the temp sensor had gone bad. Two days later, received it and installed. No operation of the fan still.
Contacted Rodney back, and Fantastic Fan sent out a new motor assembly. Received it two days later also. 30 minute install, and all operation is back to normal.
Folks at Fantastic Fan, and especially Rodney were top notch, high knowledge, and stand behind their product even when the warranty has expired. I will continue to buy their product.
Hope this helps those in the future that might experience loss of power at the fan, while the vent is operational.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Devildog,
That's the thing I love about the Fantastic Vent Co. They will do everything they can to keep a customer happy. And, as the told me personally, these fans are warrateed for life. [(I don't know whose life, however.) lol]

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I admire any company, such as Fantastic Vent, that stands behind their product 100%. I have had nothing but excellant treatment whenever I call. I have never met anyone that can say anything to the contrary. Why can't other manufacturers be the same?????
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great report on a great outcome. Thanks!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote