Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Roof Replacement

I hit a tree last week on my last trip. I have a question for the MOC;
I live in Indiana, does anyone have any knowledge of a good repair shop to have the roof replaced? Indianapolis area, Goshen? or ?

I am also considering covering the area, approx. 4"x4" or so, with Eternabond and forgoing the replacement. I have concerns with replacing the roof without knowledge on how good the repair shop is at this task.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Last year we had a very powerful storm on Long Island at the campground we were at. A tree fell on my Monty and did damage to the roof (approx. 8 small tears and puncture holes but to the rubber membrane only) I patched it with Eternabond and put self leveling caulk around each patch and never had a problem since. I did not trust any of our dealers to do a proper repair since I have solar panels and a sat dish. Also my insurance would have gone through the roof. I decided to repair it myself and save the insurance claim for another time when I tear the roof off on a low bridge or tree. Good luck with your decision.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Bob ,,i yhink jwedell has a good coment on the roof and ins ,, the ins co will kill you if you collect but what is it for ,, its only good if the unit is demolished .. thats ins for you , then a new co ,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had the occasion to visit Charger RV in Elkhart for some decals. They appeared to be first class. The guys at the Keystone Service Center made the appointment for me. Charger does service work for several manufacturers in the area.

I think if is only a 4"x4" area I would patch it. I have an area that large where I installed an entry plate to go through the roof for a cable. Dicor sealant holds up well on the rubber roof. Eternabond and a patch would probably be better than the Dicor.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We had a complete roof replacement done on our 2955RL at Fox RV Service in Middlebury, IN. They do great work and are very honest. Montana refers quite a bit of their repair work to them.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
Bob will tell you in a week or 10 days how Paul Sherry is in Piqua ohio. Did the same thing on the way home from fl.Insurance is going to pay all but the deductable. Went to a different dealer they were $2300 more doing the same thing . jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
When you pick the center ask to see the bay where they replace the roof. My dealer has a bay just for this and I was impressed when I was looking at the bay. They have a rolling hoist to lift things off of the roof and lower them to the floor while they work on the roof. There are scaffolds they can use to go from wall to wall without walking on the trailer roof. The dealer just moved into a new facility so I was very happy to see this addition.
Good Luck!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:58 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bob, have you checked Camping World yet. I know, some people don't like CW service, but if you've never had any problems with them, then you are covered at any CW for your warrenty on the roof.
just a thought.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Somehow/somewhere I managed to crush the drivers side roof corner, smashing the Aluminum radius corner and tearing up the rubber roof corner to varying degrees for about 7 feet. I think a 4"x25' roll of Eternabond for $50 would "salvage" the roof and prevent any leaks. OR I can exercise my insurance policy with a $1000 deductible (that will surely be greatly exceeded) and have a local RV repair place restore to original appearance (replacing damaged Aluminum radius) with a new roof.

What would you do??
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
BW2 and RRman, The question of replacing or repairing is a dilemna I hope I never have to face, However, I believe I would go with the full roof replacement. Of course, you have to remember this is my only home at the present (and near future, for that matter).

EMMEL has a good point about CW, They are all over and usually stand behind their work, no matter where you had it done.

Okie Guy has another good point, maybe a temp repair and a trip to his hometown for permanent replacement.

Too much to think about right now....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The determination of replacement or repair will no doubt be made by the insurance company. Had the experience with a SOB on another issue. I thought it should be replaced. The insurance company said it could be repaired and that is what they paid for. If I wanted replacement I could pay the difference myself.. My suggestion would be to have the insurance adjuster come out take a look, have a chat with him/her and go from there. In my case we had a in depth discussion on replacement/ repair (it was aluminum siding that had a encounter wih a tree) The damage was at the top and the adjuster said that it had to be replaced from the bottom up at a cost of early 3500.00 replacig siding that was not damaged. He offered a on the spot settlement of 1600.00, which I took because I already knew it could be repaired for 800.00.. Do the homework and see what may workout.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had some work done by D & T RV Repair in Goshen back in 2006. They're located south of Keystone at 2719 Firethorn Dr. in Goshen. Their phone number is 574-533-1803 and Fax number is 574-534-8147. They did some body work for us that was outstanding.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #13
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
We just had a slide repaired in Elkhart...at Mastertech....on Holiday Pl in Elkhart....mastertechrandy@comcast.net..they were fair and honest...seemed to do good work and had a lot of thank you notes posted on the walls...somebody likes their work..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:07 AM   #14
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Thanks to ALL !!!

I am looking into an estimate from CW and may call a couple of the recommendations I have received from you all. My concern was the quality of work by the repair facility. Removing the vents, AC etc... and then replacing all of that and could that create more of a problem than patching the area with Eternabond since the area is approx. 4"x4".

Again thank you to all with your information and as always a great group of MOC members.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote