Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
different electrical question

My little problem with the GFI led me to two other questions. 1. All of my outlets have the ground prong on the bottom although the wire enters from the top and the printing on the outlet is upside down. the question is, which way is right and does it matter? 2. Although I could get the box out of the wall easily, I couldn't open the box. The instructions say to depress the tabs on the side of the box. There are six tabs, two on each side and two on the bottom. They look like they all need to be pressed at the same time. I'm shy quite a few hands. Suggestions from the experts?

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
In my opinion it does not matter. In my stick house all the receptacles have the ground at the bottom.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
On a standard J box, you can have the wire (Romex) enter from the top, bottom or the back. The only crucial thing is to make sure that Ground (usually bare copper or in green colored insulation) goes to the ground on the receptacle (usually a green screw near the bottom of the outlet and connecting to the "frame" of the outlet); Black (hot) goes to black, which is usually a gold colored screw on the right side of the outlet as you are looking at the front ; and White (neutral) goes to white, which is usually a silver colored screw and is on the left side of the outlet as you are looking at it from the front.

If you have enough wire so that if you were to cut it at the box and you could wire up to a new outlet without any strain on the wires, I would do so: cut at the old box and discard.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right...answer to your questions;
1) Outlet orientation typically is with the ground prong at the bottom...reversal does not mean its wrong.
2) RV outlets are "press" connections allowing Romex to be routed through and continue on to next one. You can use a flat blade screw driver to open each one working your way around it being careful not to open too much so it can be reused.
***So your going to inspect the "press" connections, correct? I suppose its possible there is a loose ground connection which might produce your issue...keep us posted and do all this work with power disconnected.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote