Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #41
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Your last sentence ~~~ I’m 72 and the weight of 2 units of 2000 is a lot easier than 1 at twice the weight. I fill both tanks prior to leaving and usually only a full 2 1/2 gallon can. If boondocking an extended period I’ll leave the small can and take a 5 gallon can.

QUOTE=DebNJim B;1183636]Finally got out to work on this. Really nasty thunderstorms yesterday. So I connected my EMS to see what amps I'm dealing with. Wouldn't connect, error, open ground. Ah ha... So I made up an Edison ground-neutral bonding plug and tried it again. EMS says good to go. Turned on all the lighting and had only .5KW. Turned on the microwave and genny ramped up and M/W cycled fine. Pulled 1.6Kw. The frig was plugged in but that leg was only drawing 200 watts. Not sure how much the convertor will draw, but it could be pushing 2Kw. So with the convertor running I likely couldn't run the M/W. At least not on Propane. Could possibly handle it running on gas. I like to use propane, that way I don't have to carry another gas can.
Guess I'll stick with the Champion for now although I do wish it were lighter. I can still lift it into the truck but at 73 it's getting pretty heavy. I may just go two 2000's.[/QUOTE]

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #42
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
No need to lift them just leave them in the back of the truck. I don’t bother I will unlock them and roll them to the tailgate and do the maintenance then roll back and lock up. 100lbs each I’m not taking them out ! Lol
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #43
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I live in hurricane territory. After a storm we may have a power loss and out of the truck they come. At 50# I can handle both yet, at 100# I'm not chancing it. Remember RHIP, well OHIP too.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #44
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
No need to lift them just leave them in the back of the truck. I don’t bother I will unlock them and roll them to the tailgate and do the maintenance then roll back and lock up. 100lbs each I’m not taking them out ! Lol
That makes sense and I do that. It's getting it in the truck in the first place. I have a SB SRW that I use other than towing. I have an aux fuel tank in the front so the gen goes in the rear. I need to pull it out for off season. I can do it now but I'm thinking in a couple years two smaller ones are coming.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #45
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
That makes sense and I do that. It's getting it in the truck in the first place. I have a SB SRW that I use other than towing. I have an aux fuel tank in the front so the gen goes in the rear. I need to pull it out for off season. I can do it now but I'm thinking in a couple years two smaller ones are coming.
I hear that, I have some great neighbors that help me put them back there yesterday. I have the longed so there's plenty of room, even when towing the cover, covers the generator/inverters.

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote