Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Matrap27
Established Member

M.O.C. #18094
Garage size on 2020 381th

Can someone please tell where I can find the actual size of the garage of the 2020 381th. I need the measurement of the area of the first section that moves up and down. Thanks

Matrap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
I have a 2019 380th and the garage is 10 feet deep but the bed that goes up and dowm is 8.5
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have a 2018 381. The garage is 10'. I'll get out and measure the garage tomorrow and give you more details. Be aware that the bed raises up. What do you want to put in the garage? I can tell you for a fact that a motorcycle of any kind,standard golf cart and Can Am Maverick trail side by side will all fit but a Can Am Spider 3 wheeler won't.

We are full time in one location for next couple years so we only use garage for storage at present. But when we were weekend warriors the garage had two 10' kayaks and a Honda 1100 with Memphis Shades windshield in it. We only raised the bed about 2" for the windshield and since that was still low enough to sleep we never dropped it down. The BIGGEST advantage of the 380/381 design for us is that we could sleep in a full floor plan without having to remove any of the toys!!

I can tell you for absolute fact that it is the largest garage in that type of floor plan on the market. I know that because I designed the original, drawing it out for Grand Design at the Dallas RV show. I tried to get both them and Forest River to make the garages 10' deep but Thor (IE: Keystone) was the only one that listened. That fact is why we own one. It is the only one that is deep enough for our kayaks.

Also be aware there is a dedicated 380/381 facebook page.

Should be noted that I have pressed the concept of building the garage on a wide body frame to make it a couple inches wider to no avail. Also no luck trying to push them to raise the kitchen floor up to same level as living room and bedroom/bath. That would not only allow room for a MASSIVE possum belly garage/storage area but also allow a LOT more flexibility in the upstairs floor plan as you would be able to place walls just about anywhere along the design. That would allow to make the bathroom larger which to us is the only drawback of the current upstairs floor plan. The relatively small bathroom wasn't a big deal when we were just weekending but it is major when you are full timing!

The one thing I do regret that we didn't get on ours (if we go back to weekending) is a generator. Not only is it handy if you stop somewhere overnight (like a truck stop) but also helps if you are in a park with only 30amp service in the summer!! Related to that you will note that the unit has a fan in the kitchen ceiling that can be removed and a third A/C unit can be added there. If you wisely wire that A/C independent of the rest of the coach you can plug it directly into the park pedestal 110volt plug and it will allow you to run two A/Cs on a 30amp pole. That is a very big deal if your in a spot where you really need two units and trust me a coach this size needs at least two if you get above 90F.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote