Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #21
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Thanks Charlie W - That's what I've been looking for. The place that's doing my solar designs the system to the installed batteries so I need to get this swapped. Just need to decide on flooded or AGM's. Do you happen to know if I need to do anything to the factory charger to go from a single 12v to 4 six volts?

allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #22
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
No you don't need to do anything for the charger,
I use the standard Trojan T-105. And I purchase Trojans self-watering kit for the batteries, all you do is drop a hose in a gallon of distilled water give a few pumps in the battery is full, I do it about once a month takes about 2 minutes. And the batteries are $100 a piece cheaper standard t105 are 225 amp hours the t105-AGM or 217ah my last set of batteries lasted over 7 years
Old 08-31-2019, 07:18 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Just throwing the LiFePO4 aka Lithium into the mix.
Say goodbye to worries

Mike
Mike tell us about your battery.
Power output, life expectancy, charging them, and last but not least cost.
The next RV battery I buy will be Lithium.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:36 PM   #24
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood

Though you asked this of another poster I figured I would provide the same info for camparison.

4 series connected Winston prismatic lithium iron phosphate cells, 700AH, 8.4KwHr

Charged via shore power via Magnum Hybrid MSH3012 inverter/charger
Charged via solar with a Midnite Solar Classic 150 charge controller
also have onboard Onan 6500 light commercial lp gen for emergency charging

The life expectancy of my cells properly managed is around 8000 cycles.
You can get the Windston cells for about $995 each. Four are needed for a 12v nominal system.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #25
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood
Hi Lynwood,

as PNW said. There are a lot of good setups out there.
What sold me on Lithium in the first place was Zero Maintenance and Weight (half of normal Batteries)

We run a small setup with the goal to come comfortably through one day and night.
Szenarios we have in Mind Boondbocking with Generator run in the Morning or an unexpected Over Night stay while on the road and could not find a place to stay.
We installed 3 Outlets in Bath, Kitchen and Entertainment Center directly connected to the Inverter so that we do not touch Keystones wiring.
We can run Microwave and Hairdryer with this setup.
Its not setup to run an AC where you would need to go for Solar and min 2 further Batteries and a 3KW Inverter.

The setup we have has following:
- 2x Battle Born 100Ah Batteries - got a Sale 849.- each and they are plug and play in your existing spot Link
- Xantrex Freedom 2000XC Inverter/Charger with 80Amp charging power => Batteries are full quickly and not much Gen run in Boondocking situation - 749.-Link
- Victron Battery Monitor 712 Smart to read out and learn on our power consumption - 210.- Link

As a play ground I also Installed a Solar Charger and have Mobile 100W Solar Panels to learn about the Solar Topics and we can set them during the day to top off the Batteries.
- Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 - 200.- Link

We also have a Champion 3500 Inverter Generator with remote as backup in the truck bed Link

The Batteries are supposed to live 3000-5000 cycles ~ 8-10 Years I guess.
After a Glamping Night with TV, Apple TV, Charging all kind of stuff, Furnace, Microwave, Vitamix, Waterheater, Hairdryer and Lights and Fans we come out in the morning with ~70-60% Battery capacity left.

We are very happy with the setup. If I would change anything I would today go with a full AC Ready setup, but we definatly do not enough Boondocking for that to justify the expenses.It would be just for the fun of an independent setup

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #26
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
PNW Fireguy what are you using for BMS for those Winston batteries? We are weighing our solar options. The vision has 1200 watts, ~800AH of batteries preferably LFP and 3k inverter and a pair of champion gennies for back up and running A/C when needed so we are following this with interest.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #27
pjstaffieri@gmail.com

M.O.C. #19480
I still have the original two batteries but we are always on shore power. Almost 5 years and never an issue. Think it’s time to replace them? Why not just replace with like batteries?
pjstaffieri@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #28
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
AGMs are fine in certain situations but they are also heavy and if you are full timing the weight penalty could be more than you can handle. This is less of a concern for part time users who typical are not carrying everything they own with them. Lithium is also expensive upfront. All I'm saying is, it's a balancing act with application, price and weight being important considerations. There is a saying... Batteries don't die, they get murdered.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstaffieri@gmail.com View Post
I still have the original two batteries but we are always on shore power. Almost 5 years and never an issue. Think it’s time to replace them? Why not just replace with like batteries?
You can have the batteries tested - if the batteries have been treated right 7-8 years is not uncommon.

Replacing with similar batteries makes sense - when it is time.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #30
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
PNW Fireguy what are you using for BMS for those Winston batteries? We are weighing our solar options. The vision has 1200 watts, ~800AH of batteries preferably LFP and 3k inverter and a pair of champion gennies for back up and running A/C when needed so we are following this with interest.
Sorry I just saw this. I have an OrionJr BMS. I backup all the BMS functions with MOSFETS so that I am not solely relying on the BMS should I experience some failure. I have been real pleased with everything so far.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote