Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Highly Recommend Checking

In the last few miles coming home from Florida, the lower skirting on the drivers side rear of the trailer came loose all along the bottom. It rained hard pretty much all the way through Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan and our last 3 hours from Port Huron to home in Ontario.

The lower skirting was in place at the last fuel stop as I walked around the trailer at each fuel stop to check everything.

When I got home I un-hitched the truck and went around back to hook up the power and found the rear corner of the skirting out of the corner moulding and all along the bottom was just swinging in the air.

It was storming with blowing snow bad so plugged it in and went in the house as it was getting dark. Skirting was still attached all along the top and at the front where the wheel well is as normal.

Wind picked up during the night and yesterday morning the skirting had torn off and was in the ditch beside the house.

Upon close examination today I discovered that the self tapping screws the factory uses to install the bottom of the skirting to the frame must have been loose and that allowed it to move enough to wear the holes large enough that the aluminum skirting just fell off as the heads of the screws were now to small to hold it in place.

Of course it got all bent to hell when the wind grabbed it and tore it off overnight. Just managed to sort of fit it back on and used big washers on the self tapping screws to hold it in place. Siliconed the hell out of it as it does not fit properly but needed to cover up the exposed areas of wood & insulation etc....

I HIGHLY SUGGEST EVERYONE CHECK THE SELF TAPPING SCREWS AND TIGHTEN AND OR INSTALL LARGE WASHERS or they will likely end up in the same predicament.

I have contacted the dealer and I am now waiting on a price for a new lower skirt for the drivers side..... along with a new black tank which they put on order a week ago when I discovered sewage leakage in the belly ( was not a leaking valve )................. SIGH

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Yes, life in a trailer is one chuckle after another...especially for us fulltimers who do all of any work on their units. My skirting has seemed noisier as it heats up from the sun and seems to wiggle more than it used to, so after I get finished with my gel coat work on the kitchen slide, I will pull off the molding to make sure things are tight. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Check those self tapping screws where it wraps under and attaches to the frame underneath.... those are the culprits
Old 04-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Check those self tapping screws where it wraps under and attaches to the frame underneath.... those are the culprits
Same problem here but I caught it before it came off. The factory did not use any washers; about half of the screws on mine were either missing or the head pulled through the aluminum. A couple of them they totally missed the aluminum when they drove the screws in. More high quality craftsmanship! I fixed all of mine last fall.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I thought I was the only one. Had mine come loose on I 80 in Wyoming. I keep my curved mirrors set so I can keep a check on my tires. I looked in my right mirror and there it was flopping in a 75 MPH breeze. Lucky for me I had enough stuff in the camper for a temporary fix before I got to Cabalas where I could do a better fix.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I watch the mirrors constantly, very strong wind blowing against the side on way home so it wasnt flopping. It sure did in the driveway, as a result before I could investigate and start repair (bad snow storm) it was ripped right off and bent up.......... I have it tentatively re-attched with a full tube of silicone covering up areas it didnt cover. Too cold out to do much more, waiting on dealer for availability of new piece... Wish I had been warned to check them as it would have saved $$$$ and headaches
Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
You can buy the metal from Trekwood. Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine before we go out again.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for the heads up. One more thing to keep an eye on.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Don't you just love 'old world craftsmanship'.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I go around and check every screw on outside and always find some loose. There is always screws on skirt around wheels that are stripped when I buy a new unit. (I have bought 3 units). I check all screws about 3 times a year.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
https://flic.kr/p/HKPqfb

This is what it looks like when it lets go.......... I have somewhat straightened it out and re-installed to cover the gap & walls etc during this stormy snowy weather, cannot go further until I find out if I can get a new one. If not I will have to get some help and patience to make this one look okay and get it re-installed exact the way it needs to be...
Wondering if the extended warranty covers an issue like this, I know the black tank will be.......
Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Well the dealership has the aluminum skirting in stock, going to cost $115 for the 12ft piece. Not sure about the labour for them to put it on, I can do it myself but need two more sets of hands to do it so likely just get the dealer to install while the trailer is there for the black water tank change out....

Pricing of the skirting is Canadian dollars in Ontario... so not nearly as bad as expected. There will be washers on all the skirting moving forward, just need a warmer day where it isn't snowing or raining to get the rest of them washered up...
Old 04-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This has been a on going and well known issues on this forum going back to out 1st Montana in 2006. It is wise to check ALL screws everywhere as we have found loose screws everywhere.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote