Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
2011 3400RL drain boom

Has anyone modified the tank boom? I like the idea but replacing the cap when storing the hose is a pain. Any ideas?

jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I have a 10ft Rino hose connected all the time, has a cap on the end. Works great and for the most part I do not need to add to it.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Took mine off altogether. Added a knife valve and a clear 90 and then put the sewer hose in a fence post underneath. Turned out I liked it better that way.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you do a Search on "sewer boom" you will find lots of discussion about the pros/cons of the boom.

Personally, I love my boom. I installed the gate valve at the end of the outlet - yes it is compatible with the boom and is essential regardless of the boom or not - it stops that surprise when you remove the sewer cap. I use a clear connector but it is at the end of the sewer hose, not at the gate valve. The location doesn't affect the purpose - being able to see what is flowing by.

While I did have to shorten the length of the sewer hose to fit inside the boom, it is long enough for 90% of the locations where I camp. I have a fence post mounted under the frame which holds extra hose for those occasional sites where I need extra hose.

Connecting to a sewer connection located behind the RV outlet is not a problem on my RV. The mounting of the pivot point allows the boom to rotate almost completely to the rear (even with the extra gate valve). But the old world craftsman didn't always mount the pivot point at the same spot along the frame. Sometimes it is mounted forward of the outlet and binds up the hose if you try to go past 90 degrees. It sucks if yours is that way but it just means you have to have a 180 degree turn in the hose (and extra hose?) to get to the park connection.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes, Carl is correct. Mine was located forward so when the boom it'self cracked I just dumped it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
Wrmn&bankgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #20242
Who can tell me where to get just the rubber boot, that covers the sewer hose for these booms.

Darryll & Cassy
2009 Montana 2980RL
2008 F350 King Ranch Dually.
Wrmn&bankgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I removed mine because of the pivot point. Added the knife valve also. The breaking point for me was when the hose loosened up on the far end and came off when I was doing my end-of-season cleanout. I should have been watching that connection, I suppose, so that's on me (at least not literally☺). The boom is a good idea, but it wasn't practical for me. I keep my hose and attachments in one of those under-bed storage bins you get at Home Depot. They're on wheels and stackable. I do like the fence post idea.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote