Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2024, 11:25 AM   #1
lajitasgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #18954
Mattress topper?

Hi folks,
Our rig is a 2019 Montana Legacy 3121 RL. My question might be impossible to answer since it's based on personal preferences. However, maybe you have some options to share.
The king-size mattress that came with the rig is as hard as a rock and totally unusable without a topper. We use a 3" memory foam topper to make the bed usable. (I'll try to attach a pic.) However, the topper is quite heavy, and the b/r slide struggles when going in and out. I wonder if any of you have found a more light-weight topper that still makes the mattress user friendly. Thanks for your suggestions!
Martha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240226_121622.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	16569  

lajitasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:56 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Good foam is heavy. The best foam is natural latex but it is even heavier but it will never sag or wear out and supports you much better without any pressure points. It’s very expensive but you get what you pay for.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 12:41 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We also tried the topper with the mattress.
Not much help.
Finally we got an RV King Sleep Number bed and it's been perfect ever since.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:52 PM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
We replaced our oem mattress with a quality 11” foam mattress. Very heavy. Had to replace the gas springs on the bed lift with 120 pounders and those just barely hold it up. We keep both sets of golf clubs under the bed, as well as other stuff. Point being, unless my situation is unusual, I don’t think your slide should be struggling because of a mattress topper. Has it always been affected by minor weight changes in the under bed storage? Maybe something else going on?
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:10 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My, one of my favorite expressions:

"Quit putting lipstick on the pig." No matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, it's still a pig.

What that means is ... forget the topper. This will be your 2nd one you purchase? Right? instead of accruing more costs for something that will always be a pig, just go out and buy a decent mattress that fits you and be done with it.

Toppers are not the answer. Get the mattress that fits you, is comfortable, good for your back, and will serve you for years to come. Your back will greatly appreciate it!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:10 PM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
We replaced our mattress with an inexpensive Zinus mattress from Amazon. We have a 3" topper as well. We are very comfy. Our cable slide doesn't have any trouble at all.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:26 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
First of all your slide shouldn't struggle. It's not that much weight. We have a 4" Costco memory foam on ours. Same one we have in all of our bedrooms at home. It doesn't really do anything to help the trailer mattress. It helps a little. I just purchased a Dormeo mattress topper. It has a 100 night guarantee so we put it on our bed at home to test it. We also bought their pillows.
Conclusion, We LOVE it! Now we have to buy one for our Sleep Number 360 home mattress.
https://www.dormeousa.com/pages/spec...SAAEgIFw_D_BwE
Old 02-27-2024, 11:21 AM   #8
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
We have this, best we've found so far & we've tried them all except Sleep Number.

https://purple.com/mattresses/restore-plus
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:38 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Regarding the slide movement (struggling).

I installed extra rollers under the bed frame to carry the load and prevent dents in the linoleum.
I guess it also helps it to move smoothly.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...t=slide+wheels. #26
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:27 AM   #10
High5er
Established Member

M.O.C. #33861
I have to agree with a lot of the comments here. We've used our RV(s) recreationally for a couple decades and now for the past few years have been full time. I've never found a mattress topper good enough to use with the stock RV mattress. Many mattress stores have their own generic foam/springless mattresses for sale that are a great alternative. They're generally inexpensive and are much lighter than spring/latex/purple mattresses. They also expect you to haggle a little bit, so you don't need to pay the full retail price. I think we spent $400 to replace ours and we love it. We had a sleep number for a few years, and they're very light weight, but with temperature and elevation fluctuations, they require some management. You also need a generator or shore power to adjust them.

As for the slide struggling, I agree with those comments too. Your slide motor shouldn't be struggling with a mattress topper. If there isn't a massive amount of weight under the bed, nothing is binding/blocking it and you have adequate voltage to the motor I would expect it to perform normally.
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:19 PM   #11
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
We went to a local mattress store and bought a standard Queen size mattress we LOVE.
Husband sawed off the extra wood around the platform. Turned our King size into a Queen size bed.
Gave us extra room to walk around the bed too.

Best sleeps ever
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:54 PM   #12
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
We have a Costco mattress topper but would like a softer mattress. Costco has an RV sized, “medium” mattress in Queen and King Though we might have to upgrade beyond the Costco one, willing to try their’s first.

Our bdrm slide is 72 inches on the inside and runs on the Schwintek system. Wouldn’t say it struggles but it is pretty slow. I also mounted rollers to the underbed box so they roll with the box. Didn’t realize the box was cantilevered when the slide is in the closed position. When we were working on the road, we put our monitors and electronics there and that was enough to overload it such that the box came loose from the slide wall. Picture shows the rollers we used. They are the same as the ones mounted on the bdrm floor of our unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2472.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	16580  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:58 PM   #13
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
We recently purchased a "Simply Exquisite" 4 inch mattress topper by Carpenter from Camping World. It has 2 inches of dense memory foam covered by another 2 inches of fiber fill. We like it. It makes the bed much more comfortable.

In the end, I agree the best solution is to replace the OEM mattress with one to our liking. We had a lot of work done in the past few months, this topper made sense for our current trip.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:57 PM   #14
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I replaced my factory king mattress several years ago. I purchased a custom RV mattress from Mattress Insider. They make custom mattresses for RV's, Sofa beds, Truckers sleepers,Vans, etc. I'm very happy with it. It is not heavy and I can access the storage area under neath the bed just like the factory mattress. The factory gas struts hold it open with no problem. They are made for RV's and you can customize the size and type of padding.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Old 03-04-2024, 05:48 AM   #15
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I replaced the OEM mattress on our rig with a California King Tempurpedic. Had to beef up the platform and replaced the 1/2" plywood deck with 3/4". The mattress weighs 90 lbs and I'm sure I added another 25 lbs or so in lumber.

I had the same concerns as you about the additional weight. The only 2 measurable indicators I could think of were timing the extend and retract times with a stopwatch and measuring the current draw of the hydraulic pump. After taking measurements before and after, there was no difference in either measurement. Mine is a front bed model and I realize that I've added some hitch weight and probably should take it across the CAT scales to see how much.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:35 AM   #16
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
We replaced our S&B mattress with a Sleep on Latex mattress which was the number one rated (firm) foam mattress by Consumer Reports a few years ago. Liked it so much we ended up buying a mattress topper for the RV rather than replace the original mattress. Three years later it's still like new and providing a great nights sleep. Sleep on Latex will cut to size, provide your exact dimensions and they will build it. They were easy to deal with and shipped the mattress within a week.

www.sleeponlatex.com
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:44 AM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
We replaced our S&B mattress with a Sleep on Latex mattress which was the number one rated (firm) foam mattress by Consumer Reports a few years ago. Liked it so much we ended up buying a mattress topper for the RV rather than replace the original mattress. Three years later it's still like new and providing a great nights sleep. Sleep on Latex will cut to size, provide your exact dimensions and they will build it. They were easy to deal with and shipped the mattress within a week.

www.sleeponlatex.com

Latex try it. You will not believe the difference until you try it. It is a heavy dense foam that supports you like no other.
A friend has furniture store and sells mattresses. He has several high dollar mattresses cut open so you can see what they are made of. You wouldn’t believe how cheap they. It should be criminal.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote