Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #41
Bruno B

M.O.C. #24067
I feel your pain as we have a 2013 Mountaineer which has had Dometic A/C issues since it was new. After numerous searches to resolve an intermittent problem I discovered that some wires on spade plugs that connected to the control box were not sufficiently crimped into the plugs. The wire would move around inside the crimp causing multiple make and breaks in the circuit. I resolved the issue by installing new spade plugs and making new crimps. On some of the crimp style wire nuts I also found debatable good connections. I have now soldered all of those splices and installed new wire nuts. Perhaps you want to really scrutinize all of the crimped connectors inside the unit.
Bruno B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:16 AM   #42
RMcNeal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25165
Well, I contacted Dometic 2 days ago and they recommended replacing the face plates. For a test, we removed both face plates and the A/C has been running properly since. No short cycling, shutting off and not back on, etc.
According to their rep, the foam inside the "buttons" gets compressed when pushed too hard and will cause all kinds of crazy results in the unit. They are shipping replacement face plates, but in the mean time, I'm running fine with them removed.
Hopefully, the new face plates will work, or I will try to find a thermostat without the capacitive touch "feature".
Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #43
bjacobs3791RD
Established Member

M.O.C. #25072
I will second what RMcNeal stated. I have been back and forth on the phone with Keystone and two days ago after reviewing the videos, it was suggested that I pull the faceplates off, run them and see if the behavior changes.

The dealer and I both thought they were full of it and sending us down a rabbit hole, but after two days with no faceplate I have not had any problems. I'm not an A/C guy or electrician by any means, but somehow between the faceplate and foam behind the capacitive touch buttons, it caused the unit to demonstrate behavior that can't really be explained. Don't ask me how or why.

This is obviously a problem if Dometic and Keystone both suggested the same odd "fix". Now that it SEEMS to be working, we'll see what the real fix is. Until then, I'm running without the faceplate. Still have the LCD screen and three metal touch sensitive ends to control everything like normal.

I will post Keystone or Dometic's fix once I hear from them.

RMcNeal, let us know if you see any difference in the new faceplates when you receive them vs. your old ones.
bjacobs3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #44
mbjam359
Established Member

M.O.C. #20338
I meant to mention my 3931Fb was a Legacy package. My ac are controlled by a In Command System. I do not believe I am having any issues.
mbjam359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #45
RMcNeal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25165
Just a quick update...3+ days and all works fine with face plates removed. I noticed the new face plates have shipped, but I won't be home to get them and test for another 2 weeks. Until then, face plates are off and the A/C is working fine.
Thank you Sam (Mootana) and Brandon. You may have just saved my sanity, or at least what little is left of it.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #46
duble0svn

M.O.C. #23423
I am having the same issue with my 2019 3791 with both A/C’s. When you say face plates is that the thermostat face plates or something else?

Thanks.
duble0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:35 AM   #47
RMcNeal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25165
duble0svn, yes it is the plastic thermostat face plates. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. According to Dometic, there is some sort of foam under the capacitive touch buttons that gets compressed when pushed too hard. They say you shouldn't "push" the button at all, but instead just tap it as if it were your smart phone. The original assumption was that the foam was compressed under the buttons and causing the sporadic issues.
After 2 weeks of running without these face plates, both units are now back to odd behavior. Sometimes they will shut off and not turn back on no matter how hot it gets. Other times, they will not shut off no matter how cold it gets. And other times, they do what I call a short cycle, where the unit runs for about 60 seconds, shuts off for 4 seconds, then runs another 60 seconds. This last one can be more or less than 60 seconds, but the off part of the cycle is always 4 seconds. Also, when doing this short cycling, the fan will sometimes be on high, other times on low. No rhyme or reason which one or when.
Brandon, bjacobs3791RD, has put up some you tube videos that shows this last behavior well. Unfortunately, my wife has had a death in the family so my troubleshooting has been put on hold while we prepare to travel home for family and funeral.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #48
RMcNeal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25165
Btw, with the face plates removed, you can still touch the metal blade where the buttons are located to control the thermostat. It won't hurt anything and won't shock you. I think this was asked before, so just wanted to clarify.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #49
duble0svn

M.O.C. #23423
Thanks for the clarification. I have an appointment to bring my camper into the dealer on other stuff and I will see what they say about the a/c issues. I am thinking they will say we could not reproduce the issue. Lol.
duble0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:51 AM   #50
RMcNeal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25165
That's kinda been the consensus. I guess I understand that as it usually takes a while before the units start exhibiting the odd behavior. Maybe 12-24 hours or more.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #51
scottz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19755
I feel your frustration. I have been fighting similar AC issues for three years. My units (one or both), when the fan is on auto, will intermittently shut down and not start back up until I manually reset. If I keep the fans on high, no problems, just constant noise. I believe my units are freezing up.

It has been to three dealers and the Dometic guys at national looked at it. Unfortunately, the problem is intermittent and, of course, never occurs when they are looking at it. Thermostats & face plates replaced a couple of times; return ducts opened up; all the usual stuff.

I might have solved the problem with mine. Difficult to tell since we don't use AC that often and I think other factors such as humidity are in play.

I finally pulled lifted the units off the roof and found they had not been mounted over the holes in the roof properly. I suspect a portion of the cold air output was going directly into the return side and freezing the unit up. Keeping the fan on high keeps air moving and prevents the problem. Anyway, that is my theory and not sure if it helps with your problem.

Here is a link to a thread with more details and photos.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=75245
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #52
GHallof
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25098
Time for a Lawsuit?

I am curious. It seems this issue has been ongoing for at least 4 years from the research that I have done. Many other sites like this one across other RV makes and models and their owners have the same complaints regarding these systems.

Dometic always seems to respond to customer/dealer complaints by creating a support incident for them and then walking through the same ole "TRY THIS", "THEN THIS", "THEN THAT" approach and after 4 years no end in sight it.

If there are any lawyers out there with experience in matters like this. Can you please help me understand why some sort of action in mass from a legal perspective would not be appropriate?

Gordo
2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote