Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Yellowstone advice

We are leaving Custer SD. on the 20th the rt is 16 to I-90 to Buffalo for 1 night, then Worland & Greybull then to Cody for 2 or 3 nights. My big question is pulling the 3400 from Cody doing the southern loop through Yellowstone and up to West Yellowstone. Is it an easy drive ? Any information would be great, just don't want to get into anything too over the top. Thank you for any advice you can help us with.

pathlestravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That is definitely the best route. Avoid 14 if at all possible. Once you get to Cody it is easy going to Yellowstone
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Just don't use route 14A. 14 isn't as bad as that. We have towed up over the pass to Red Lodge out of Yellowstone with a 3400. You will love the views. Have fun.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Thanks Guys I feel better now, and we are really looking forward to Yellowstone. Again thank you for the help.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Keep in mind that the weather has not been kind to Yellowstone this year. As of 1 week ago from south entrance there was 3-4 ft of snow on the shoulders of the highway and many interior roads and hiking trails were not open or were very wet because of snow melt. We are in the Tetons and have postponed going into Yellowstone until things open up because we want to do some hiking not just see the geyers. Lots of baby bison and elk though. Have a great trip.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I am sure that it is on your list but make sure to stop in Cody and visit the Buffalo Bill museum. It will take you a good 3-4 hours, the firearms display is quite impressive.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I second that the Cody museum is a must see. Plan at least 2 days. As for the gun display, I was working on a benchrest rifle display for the museum when they decided to downsize the firearms display and would not need it. Oh well. I have traveled from Yellowstone to Cody several times. You should have no problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
PLEASE don't let my husband read this! If he makes me go to another museum I am going to cry, and a gun museum? Ay yay yay......

(Thinking....how to keep DH off the MOC site- hmmmm......
luvmywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We love Yellowstone, too, especially watching the bears and the wolves. The last two times we stayed at the campground where the bears attacked last year. We were safely secured in our Montana, so we weren't worried. Of course, I had more than just the walls for protection. The Pebble Creek area is great for wildlife viewing in the evenings. Have fun.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Thanks everyone for all your help, we have Cody for 5 days of exploring, then off to yellowstone. It was tuff getting a site, West Yellowstone seems to be pretty booked up, I guess the 4th holiday and all. We were almost at 70.00 per day for a site ! But at the last min. We recieved good news and were able to secure a site way cheaper !! It was highway robbery to say the least. There are alot of places off the beaten path but need to weight the miles to the park vs fuel, cause its getting expensive . But either way this is our trip of a life time, and a practice run to maybe fulltiming. Hopeing we will get it right, it has been a real experience and dream so far. Thanks to all our MOC friends for your support and advice !! We have been really dragging our feet in hopes the park will be warmer when we get there and we sure love hiking but time isn't working the best for us yet. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
A few years ago there was a bear and wolf rescue place in West Yellowstone - I suppose it's still there. It was a well worthwhile stop. You got a two day pass. The second day we stopped, a company was documenting tests for a new "space age" material "bear-proof" container (probably carbon/carbon composite). I remember one of the film crew said "It's really just a test to see how long it takes them to get it open" It didn't take too long. There were 3 bears and it was really entertaining to watch them taking turns and eventually busting it wide open to get to the food inside.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

A few years ago there was a bear and wolf rescue place in West Yellowstone - I suppose it's still there. It was a well worthwhile stop. You got a two day pass. The second day we stopped, a company was documenting tests for a new "space age" material "bear-proof" container (probably carbon/carbon composite). I remember one of the film crew said "It's really just a test to see how long it takes them to get it open" It didn't take too long. There were 3 bears and it was really entertaining to watch them taking turns and eventually busting it wide open to get to the food inside.
Yep, and that is why you need to follow all the food handling guidelines and use your head when in bear country. A Montana is nowhere as tough as one of those containers that were being tested!

Have a great time and stay safe!

Best - Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #13
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Not sure which way you are going, but FYI.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_77b83c59-9598-5677-a135-1d14730df910.html
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'm sure the wolves are fun to watch. I have a friend who lives in Dubois who was an outfitter who tells me some herds of elk have been wiped out. Wyoming game department says the northern elk herd is down over 75%. Guess what wolves eat. I would rather watch elk than maybe see a wolf.
Lynwood
Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Interesting article in the Bozeman Chronicle.

The elk herd that has become one of the hottest flashpoints in Montana's wolf wars showed a marked decline last year, according to numbers released Wednesday by Yellowstone National Park.

The elk herd that lives along the park's northern border declined by 24 percent between 2009 and 2010, according to an aerial count conducted in December.State and federal biologists attribute the decline to predators, drought and hunters.

But complicating matters is the fact that wolf and grizzly bear numbers have also declined in recent years, as has the amount of hunting the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks allows in the area.

"This is odd," said Doug Smith, a Yellowstone biologist. "For five or six years, we had a fluctuation of 5 to 10 percent. This year's count was outside that fluctuation. There's a question mark. Why?"
Karen Loveless, an FWP biologist who worked on the count, agreed that the drop was surprising.

"Wolves were down. The (elk) hunting harvest has been cut way back - we're really just harvesting bulls out of there," she said. "I don't have a great explanation why it decreased this year and last year it did not."

Smith noted that environmental factors combined with predators and hunters could be the answer.But he also suggested that the heavy snow this winter may have clouded biologists' count, producing artificially low numbers.

The herd is closely watched by the public because of its interaction with wolves. Both sides of the debate over wolf reintroduction have used its numbers as evidence of either the positive or devastating affects of wolves.

In 1995, the year wolves were reintroduced to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, the northern Yellowstone elk herd numbered 16,791.
In 2009, biologists counted 6,070 elk in the herd.
Last month, biologists counted 4,635 elk.All told, the elk population has declined by 70 percent in the 16 years since wolf reintroduction.

Wolf advocates argue the herd was grossly overpopulated and damaging the ecosystem around it before wolves were brought back. But the decline in population has angered many hunters and outfitters who enjoyed the long hunting seasons around Gardiner and Cooke City that used to run into January.

But wolves are not the only factor in the size of the herd, Smith said. "It's incorrect to say (wolves) are the only reason for it," he said, pointing out that the wolf population has declined in the area recently, too, from 94 to 37, likely in response to the lower elk numbers.

"The other reason that's harder to put our finger on is that since wolves were recovered, we went through a 10-year drought," Smith said.
Drought conditions during the early 2000s appear to have impacted the nutrition and abundance of forage, and may have lowered reproduction rates in some elk, the park said in a press release that accompanied the new numbers.

FWP hunting quotas have been set low enough to not affect the elk population north of the park, Loveless said. Only 30 antlerless elk were allowed to be hunted last year.

As for the famed Gardiner Late Hunt, the number of permits issued for the antlerless elk declined from 1,102 in 2005 to just 100 permits during the 2006-2010 seasons. The late-season hunt was eliminated altogether this year.

The largest decline of elk this year was seen inside the park, Loveless said. Still, the number of northern-herd elk in Montana was below the state's objective of the area of 3,000 to 5,000. There were 2,236 elk counted in the Montana portion of the herd's range.

Daniel Person can be reached at dperson@dailychronicle.com or 582-2665.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Walt great report. The number of outfitters in Dubois is also down, from 22? to 2 or 3. My friend also tells me that Dubois is almost dead especially in hunting season. While it used to be a thriving town, shops are closing every where. It is not all because the elk population is down but that is just one more problem. The elk populating being down also has a very real human element to it.
Lynwood