Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
M00N1
Established Member

M.O.C. #1624
Computor service

Hi all, I am a lurker here and enjoy the forum very much and wondered if you could help us. Hubby and I are heading for Texas for three months and wondered if you could suggest an internet service we could order as ours does not work in the U.S.

Last year we took AOL for the month that we were in Myrtle Beach and it worked fine, but when I came home and tried to cancel as we still had our Canadian one here, what a hassle.

I don't mind changing for good if I can find one for both Canada and U.s. so we don't have to go looking every year.

Thank you for any information you can supply.

Jo and Rob Mooney

M00N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Jo/Rob: I live in San Antonio, TX and am assuming you are probably going to the "Valley". I use SBC DSL and am very happy with it. I again make an assumption that you will get a telephone. Should you not get a telephone, you may wish to inquiry about Cable connection. If you wish for more specific data, please advise and I'll attempt to help.

Have a safe journey down.
Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We are fulltiming and use highstream ( www.highstream.net). We pay $8.99/month and they have numbers all over. They have some of their own numbers but also lease from earthlink, aol, and maybe others. We've only had two or three places with no local number in 21 months of fulltiming. But in those locations nobody had numbers. I've never had a busy signal. Usage is unlimited from what I can tell. They do not provide free webspace. You can set up your system to use the windows dialer or you can download and install their dialer. I use both but usually use theirs because it has all the numbers right in the dialer. I just click on the state and city and it shows me all the numbers. I click one and tell it to dial. You will need to ask the rv park if you need to dial 9. Some places you also dial the area code, too. So ask. We've been very happy with highstream. Let me know if there are any questions about them I can answer for you. You sign up online and are active within seconds. When I signed up there was a $5 one-time fee for setup. I don't know what it is now.

Also, if your system doesn't have builtin wi-fi you might consider buying a card or usb wi-fi connector. More and more parks are providing wi-fi, which is at least as fast as cable/road runner. I'm on wi-fi right now. Some parks provide/loan/sell wi-fi cards if you don't have one. Some parks provide free wi-fi but most you have to sign up and pay for. Usually the monthly rates are reasonable. Sometimes weekly and/or daily rates are reasonable. Sometimes they're ridiculous and we go back to using dialup. The one I'm on now is $29.99/month but their daily rate is ridiculous. Don't remember their weekly rate.

We got a cheap calling card from Sam's, something like $40 for 1250 minutes or thereabouts. In those few places where we had no highstream number we used the calling card to call long distance but did only email that way.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi,Jo/Rob

We have used BAMNET for a year or so when ever we travel. They give us an 800 #, we pay by the minute and our time never expires. Never had a busy signal or been dropped. You can get more info about this at www.bamnet.net I'm not very ISP savvy, so I may be way off base here.

Just a thought.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
I agree 100% with Steve - Highstream is the way to go. We have used them several times in the past and have been very pleased not only with their service but they were always friendly - good people to deal with.

Wifi if available is great but we have had problems with Hotspottz (KOA) - linkspot has usually been excellent.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:29 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We are using Smartcom Internet service in McAllen.Tx. It costs $9.95 mo. for unlimited.I have their phone number if you are interested. Highstream sure sounds interesting.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I see Highstream right now has a 14-day free trial. One time setup is 5.99 and the monthly rate is 8.95. We have three email addresses with them. I think the limit is 5 but would have to check that. Also, they have web mail for those times you're in a public library or on someone else's computer and want to get your email. You can read it from a web browser. Or use your own email application, like Outlook Express or whatever (uses standard pop3/smtp).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:32 AM   #8
M00N1
Established Member

M.O.C. #1624
thanks all for the information and I will surely look into these sites.

Jo and Rob Mooney
M00N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:03 AM   #9
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I use People PC away from my stick home for the three months we are gone. I had tried AOL one year, but had the same hassle as Moon when cancelling. With People PC, I always had a number to call, and there was NO hassle at all when I cancelled. They usually have a one month free on sign up. The cost was and still is $10.95/month unlimited.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote