Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
hrlyrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20110
Tell me what COVER you recomend

I'm not going to get my building built until spring {fill needs to settle} so I am going to buy a cover for protection. What do you have or have used. Thanks

hrlyrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There have been several discussions here about covers here over the years. I think most people who have had them recommend none. The general consensus I think has been they do more harm than good. Dirt will get blown under them and wear or scratch up where the fabric rubs your camper when the wind blows.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Most here don't use or recommend them. I do and have for as long as I've had trailers. I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't had any of the problems associated with them that Lynwood mentions. It's true that the wind can and will do a number on them over time, but my trailers have never shown signs of damage. I have a pretty thorough winterizing regimen that takes about 3 weekends to complete and I finish up by washing and buffing the entire camper right before covering. It's nice to take it off in the spring and be ready to go. I have always used Adco covers. They're not the best on the market I suspect, and mine is not a custom fit. They do the job, for me, anyways. I will continue to cover mine until I am lucky enough to go full-time like many of the members here.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Well I'll be the devils advocate, have no damage no dirt ,and dust messing anything up, just make sure you get them tied down tight, have used one for several years on my 2008 3400RL Montana, would not hesitate to use one on another fifth wheel.

IMO its all how you use then, need to be snug, and no flapping in the wind. The right fit is also needed.

As far as brand I bought the Tyvek Designer, has held well for me here in Utah. I think this is the seventh winter of use.

Don't know what others are doing to create damage or whatever, but I see the same Rv's locally covered year after year, can't believe they are getting damaged ,and still being covered.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Here in WINDY Kansas unless you use 600 bungee cords, 500' of rope, and 1 case of duct tape ... you'll end up with nothing left by spring. What you will have is ... paint off of the extrusions near the corners ... slight rub marks on the lower skirt ... light abrasion on the front and rear caps ... and last but not least the mental anguish of how the heck to get it on without enlisting help from neighbors. Then if you want inside ... just hope the door zipper is kinda sorta near the door on the RV.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I don't know how much a cover costs, but I bet it would cover at least a few months of indoor storage.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Good point since he says a RV port is on for this Spring.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
dbrandon44
Established Member

M.O.C. #9783
do you buy the 37ft length or the 37 to 40 length. I usually buy the 37-40 but it is a little long. I would like one that fit a little tighter.
dbrandon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandon44 View Post
do you buy the 37ft length or the 37 to 40 length. I usually buy the 37-40 but it is a little long. I would like one that fit a little tighter.
Ours is the 37-40' I think. At least it's a couple feet too long for my 37'+ Montana. I have to work to cinch it up at the rear. That's where all the extra goes. If you want the perfect fit, you'll have to get custom and you'll pay for it.

I get what dieselguy says. I suppose if I lived in the midwest like he does, the wind would be a bigger concern. Here in the northeast we get some wind and lots of snow and subfreezing temps. Many campers up here cover their RV's. Not everyone, but the majority. If I experienced the issues described in some of the posts above, I wouldn't cover. I've got enough going on without creating more hassles for myself.
As you can see, there are opinions on both sides of this, so, there ya go.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Yet another good thread on a topic I was considering. Yall just pushed the button for us to start construction of our storage building I think. It's going to have to be BIG!!!!
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
hrlyrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Yet another good thread on a topic I was considering. Yall just pushed the button for us to start construction of our storage building I think. It's going to have to be BIG!!!!
Thanks folks for the input. I think I will opt out of the cover and head down and see if I can rent for the winter. My building site just has too much fill and the dirt was really dry when I had it excavated so the builder suggested to let it settle over the winter. Someone mentioned Wind.. where I live the wind is really bad, especially in spring.
hrlyrdr is offline   Reply With Quote