Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #41
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I don't know the science or pretend to. I do know that when I went from my SRW to the DRW, pulling the same camper, I felt the difference immediately when entering or exiting the highway and going in a loop. The dually felt much more stable.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

my SRW F350 has the optional 11,300 GVWR Package and Ford list the payload capacity limit for my model as 4,400 pounds"

But what is the Actual payload. Example My Ford sticker states a max payload capacity of 4268lbs and a GVWR of 13,000lbs. That is fine but what does the truck actually weigh ready to tow. Mine weighs 9,200 lbs so take that away from the 13K gvwr and the actual payload capacity is 3800lbs. My 06 pin weight was 3,100lbs (longtimer) so I had a 700lbs buffer. If you do that math and the number is good on a SWD you are good but that is where many swd trucks fall short. I do not know about the stability issue but 4 tires on the ground has got to be more stable than two wheels on the ground.

The numbers will tell the tale. It pulls it fine does not hack it. Good numbers, good truck. At least know were you are on the spec's.
The difference between the sticker capacity and the actual capacity, based on what it now weighs, is the stuff you've added.
I believe that is what my post indicates.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #43
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

It's funny how everyone has to defend their choice. I don't care what others say, more tires on the ground gives more stability.
I don't care what others say either - if you're in a situation that you need extra stability, you shouldn't be driving.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #44
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

It's funny how everyone has to defend their choice. I don't care what others say, more tires on the ground gives more stability.
I don't care what others say either - if you're in a situation that you need extra stability, you shouldn't be driving.
Some times it is some other persons carelessness that causes you to need stability.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
never thought about stability when purchasing a truck although it make sense that the dually should be more stable. It is like standing with your feet close together then spreading them out .Which stance feels more stable. We purchased the dually because the spec's of the Montana said we needed it for the pin weight.. No other reason.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #46
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Still comes back to buy the truck that fits your needs. Since I have scratches from bushes and boulders on both sides of my truck the extra stability would have me stuck in a vise. Too much stability for me
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #47
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
As with discussions on 3/4 ton vs 1 ton trucks, SWB vs LWB the comments and preferences regarding DRW and SRW are as varied as the folks that own the trucks. Up until a few years ago I owned a large truck camper. I carried that camper on the following trucks with these observations:
1) 3/4 Ton Ford - nowhere near what was needed for the camper although it was weight compliant.
2) 1 Ton Ford SRW - showed a small improvement in stability due to the heavier shocks and springs.
3) 1 Ton Dodge DRW - was significantly better in stability when cornering and when traveling over rough terrain.
All of the above trucks were 4 wheel drive.

Now I am fully aware that the same forces do not come into play when carrying a camper as when hauling our Montana's around. However to suggest that a DRW does not have more stability than a SRW is simply not correct, to also suggest that if you get yourself in a situation that you need extra stability then you should not be driving is another gem of wisdom...
I have now owned a DRW truck for 14 years, I drive it every day, I park anywhere I could have parked my SRW trucks, the only drawback being I cannot go through most car washes.

If you don't care about that extra rubber on the road, the definite added stability provided by a DRW and you cannot park where you want then I would suggest you continue to drive a SRW.

Oh! The SRW is better in snow, I have to give that one to the SRW owners.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #48
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Once again the MOC has been a great resource. DW and I were looking at SRW F350's to replace the current F250 SRW. DW and I read this thread and started to look again at the last CAT scale numbers and compare them to the different truck manufactures ratings. The conclusion we came to is the SRW trucks will pull a lot of trailer but the pin weights don't leave you much cargo capacity in the truck. DW commented that it really a marketing gimmick on the trailer weights. After much discussion we decided that DRW was the way to go. We purchased a F350 DRW Diesel last Thursday. For the small initial extra cost over the SRW and other costs down the road we thought this would allow us to tow a larger trailer if we decided to. It gave us peace of mind that we had more than enough capacity for what we were towing. Using the SRW allowed us to try out the RVing life style and decide if it was for us but we were at the limit of the truck and we made an informed decision to do so. We won't judge others by what they decide to do. I have to say every ones comments were greatly appreciated when we were trying to make this decision. I really wanted to go SRW but the DRW drivers made me feel comfortable going that direction. I am going to use the truck as a daily driver and am getting used to parking between the white lines at work! Wendy's drive thru tonight was a snap. Thanks again to the MOC brain trust!
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #49
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Now if we could just hurry up and get the break in period over on our new DRW we could go camping!!! Can't happen soon enough for me.

The new truck Bobcat92 (my dear husband) was talking about is fantastic! It is MUCH quieter than our old truck but I am glad we got to try out the lifestyle without investing any additional money. It also gave us a chance to figure out what kind of truck we wanted after talking to many members. The only two things I am going to have to get used to is that this truck is MUCH longer as our old one was a short bed. This truck is 21.9FEET long before we attach the trailer! So wider turns are going to be key! I am also having to get used to the wider stance but I think that will come with time. I can't wait to see how she performs backing up our 38' foot long trailer!

Thanks again to the MOC forum in helping us with our decision in such a mature fashion...other sites NOT so much!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #50
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Beautiful rig! You will love it the more you drive it!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:25 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good for you Bobcat92 you did some homework and purchased what the spec's told you what you needed. We did the same thing we were not Dually fans but had no choice based on the spec's.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #52
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I you ever encounter a situation where the additional rear two wheels saved you from being unstable, you were either driving recklessly to begin with or where you shouldn't have been.
How about a blowout! I would get out and give that remaining tire a big kiss.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #53
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Why do you think one of the back tires is going to be the one to blow out. If you hit something on the road it's usually the front tire that hits it first.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #54
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Why do some of you have to be so argumentative. Can't you just accept someone else's view and opinions?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Why do you think one of the back tires is going to be the one to blow out. If you hit something on the road it's usually the front tire that hits it first.
Lynwood
Any thing can happen In our case the left inside dually hit the object whatever it was first and we were able to keep going on the other.. It is just our experience..
Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #56
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Blowouts occur for many reasons, going down the road to include valve failure, belt failure, unknown slow leak because of a nail puncture causing overheating, etc and etc. And like you said with road hazards, "usually" which translates to me as not always. Hard to argue against four tires providing additional safety over two tires.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #57
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Lynwood
The only tire I have ever lost due to road hazard was on my truck a number of years ago. Driving straight down a toll highway just as I was about to enter an exit ramp I heard a thump under the right front tire and shortly after the right rear lost air. No place to pull off for about 1/2 mile. Turned out the front tire had gone over a large pointed bolt that bounced up and stuck thru the rear tire and it was too far damaged by the time I could pull off to save.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #58
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I've only lost one tire off my three duallies...inside right rear. It was a tire failure, not a road hazard.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #59
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

Why do some of you have to be so argumentative. Can't you just accept someone else's view and opinions?
I agree completely. In most cases, when one responds to the original poster, they are relaying their personal experience. In that case there are really no wrong replies. Sometimes we forget that our own experiences are not unique. That's why we post here, to get others experiences and opinions. Unfortunately, any form of social media tends to be just the opposite, anti-social media because we can't see or hear others conversing. I try real hard to remember that each time I post, but I have forgotten from time to time.

JMHO
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #60
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks for the reply....I sometimes forget your points and get frustrated with what seems to be a single minded view. I'll try to be more open minded too. Again thanks!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote