Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Carpet Pieces on top of Underbelly Enclosure

After a recent 2000 mile trip I was cleaning the Monty and noticed some oil on the underbelly (insulation) enclosure toward the back of the trailer. Upon further inspection, there was significant oil leaking out from the enclosure. Sooooo, I dropped the rear stabilizers, spare tire, and holder, and enclosure to find the source of the oil. Near as I could tell there were some small leaks in the hoses and plumbing for the slide hydraulics. I tightened fittings and cleaned everything up. What is puzzling is that there were three strips of carpet about 18 inches by 48 inches laid on top of the underbelly material. They were running crossways of the trailer in the vicinity of the hydraulic cylinders and had quite abit of oil in them. Don't think it was an accident from the building of the Monty since the carpet is different then the carpet in the Monty and was place pretty much under the cylinders.

Has anyone seen this??? What do you think the carpet is for? Is it normal to place carpet under the cylinders?? Is some leakage expected?? Has there been a problem or leak during build and this was the way to "clean up"??? I took them out and didn't replace them.

How full is the slide reservior susposed to be?

Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having been on the plant tour 6 times, the most recent was this past Saturday, I do know that the under belly is one of the first things attached to the frame while it is still upside down and NO there in no carpet installed. The frame is than righted and an insulated solid wood floor is attached. Making it darn near impossible for anyone on the assembly line to place such carpet on the under belly. Also at every station there are QC inspectors. Doubt anyone could have slipped that past.

My question is, When you pulled the under belly did it appear that it may have been pulled before? Were there more screw holes than screws? It's not impossible that your dealer discovered this leak and rather than try to fix it slipped the carpet pieces on the under belly to absorb the oil thinking it would be months even years before the leak was ever discovered.

Fluid level should be about 1" from the top WITH THE SLIDES IN. The fluid is nothing more than transmission and you can use the cheapest tranny fluid available, such as the WalMart brand.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Glenn, thanks for your response. We also took the factory tour two years ago at the rally. I don't remember when they put the cyclinder and hoses in. I agree with you-it would be strange for the factory to do the carpet thing. The three pieces of carpet do not appear to be random scraps. They are too near the same size. I did not notice extra holes in the belly insulation when I removed it. It is possible that the dealer did try to fix it that way.

My biggest concern is that I may not have found the leak. Don't look forward to removing the belly insulation again. Will just have to watch it. Again thanks and it's great news that your health is improving.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote