Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Crack in Shower

Help, I have developed a hairline crack in my shower base near the drain. Has anyone had this problem and how can I repair it, without replacing the base.
Ray (AKA chevylvr)

ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
What year is your Montana as this could be warranty. Some parts have a warranty past the Montana warranty.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
First I would check to see if it‘s covered under warrantee or not. If it isn’t depending on what you want to do I don’t see why it couldn’t be fixed. If you can do any type of body work with fiberglass you may be able to repair it yourself. It may not look original but if it doesn’t leak it beats the cost of replacing the shower unit. I had a tub once that I had someone repair it with a fiberglass kit. It had a really bad place in it. That was about 6 years ago and as far as I know it’s ok today.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Were are you guys.Haven't heard from you since Florida????? Yes you can repair that crack. , there is a 2 tube epoxy kit that you can get at Home depot or Lowe's. Helen keeps telling me...Don't open the cabinets after we have been bouncing down the road as you will get a avalanche and break something.She does not mean my head but her dishes... well I opened the medicine cabinet after bouncing down the road and there was a avalanche and a bottle fell out and cracked the bathroom sink... I told you not to do that..do you ever listen to anything I say..said Helen.. I hate it when she is right.I had to go out and find a repair kit which I did and it works fine...... So where are you guys????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
But Rich, don't you eventually have to open the cabinet? I guess before opening any cabinet, put a basket and a pillow to catch everything safely.

We try not to use anything but plastic in the upper cabinets. It has also taken some time to develop the stacking and packing techniques to prevent stuff from shifting around, and this has sure prevented problems. It took us a while to learn how to do it quickly (lots of trial and error), but I think we do a pretty good job know.

The only thing that consistently comes ajar is the French doors that separate the living room from the kitchen, but we live with that because I am under the impression that trying to get them to stay in position will get them broken from the flexing and bouncing while traveling.

Back on topic... Chevylvr, do you know how the crack was formed? stress? dropped something? don't know? Just curious so we can establish a preventative.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Art..You have to use the ..crack and peek" method on the cabinets. There are a lot of rough roads around that will jar anything loose..just throwing a cabinet door open after a rough ride or maybe any ride no matter how well packed...is asking for trouble. Ray..You can get that epoxy in a color that will match the shower material..or at least pretty close.. Also sniffing it will take you on a trip so be aware...of course it makes the repair easier.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote