Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Bedroom Slide not sealing flush at bottom

I am having a problem with my bedroom slide and have noticed it before. With the onslaught of snow and now rain I noticed a small puddle on the carpeting under the inside end of the slide side wall. Further inspection I noticed a slight gap on the bottom of the slide. The seal on the top of the slide is very tight but the bottom has always had a very poor seal when the slide is closed. I am assuming the melt off has caused the water to run along the bottom of the slide wall to its lowest point, which is the furthest inside point of the rear wall of the slide. Is there any adjustment I can do to align both the top and bottom of the slide so it has a tight seal both top and bottom?

One other thing, I had my batteries removed and placed in the garage to be trickle charged over the winter months. It may well be that having the batteries removed the converter alone did not provide enough current to fully compress the seals when the slides were pulled in prior to the snow falling. Anyone else have problems sealing their slides when the batteries were removed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I may be mistaken, but I think you need your battery in good working order to get the slide to function properly. After the last slide is in, we nudge the slides in a bit more to make sure they seal up. If that is not the problem, then there may be an adjustment problem. Hopefully, Dale (MIMF) will come along and discuss the matter or you can send him a PM.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Styles,
thanks for your input, your point is well taken. I went back out this evening and put the batteries back in and then cycled the slides to make sure I get a better seal when they are closed. It seemed to help some, but the sealing problem with the bedroom slide still lingers.

I had it backwards on which, top or bottom, was not sealing correctly. It is the top of the bedroom slide that has the poor seal while the bottom is extremely tight. At the top, when the slides are fully closed, I can almost slide my fingers in between the seal and the exterior body of the RV, while I cannot even budge the seat at the bottom.

I don't have any of the drift problems as HappyCamper and others have had; mine seems to be simply an alignment problem of the outer shell of the slide when the slide is closed. When the slide is open there is no problem with sealing.

Hopefully Dale may have some suggestions on how I go about aligning the outer shell of the slide. I thought about placing a 1x2 along the bottom of the slide when I am bringing the slides in to see if that might be enough to force alignment but I fear it may do more damage than good. So, I am leaving it up to see what the Experts suggest.

Thanks again.

Tom

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Obviously, this is not a common problem or you would have a large number of responses. I think you may be right about it being an alignment problem. I know there are some adjustments that can be made to the slides, but haven't a clue as to where one might start. If Dale doesn't drop in, then a dealer or repair shop would be my next stop. Sometimes the independent shops can get to your issue more quickly than a dealership.

A call to Lippert, who manufactures these slide units, might get you some insight and maybe a suggestion for service in your area around Spokane.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Try looking under the bed and confirm there isn't something a miss with the piston mechanism...I would think the foot of the bed is rised up off the floor to allow the top to not seal?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Our bedroom slide isn't leaking however we found that our bed pulled away from the wall and to repair it I had to take apart the bed and frame. Under the bed you will find the slide hardware. If you watch the slide go in and out this might show you what is going on. It might be loose there is heavy steel bolted to the floor and slide. Good luck.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Have you checked that there is nothing caught between the slide and the wall not allowing the seal to close tightly?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The manual has a very good description of how to adjust the slides...the Lippert manual, not the Montana manual.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote