Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Shower drains s l o w l y

Anyone have this problem or had it? Other than buying a plunger, not sure what to look for. Gray tank is empty. Does empty completely albeit very slowly......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Found hair wrapped around the drain, hard to see.

Used long handled sutures to grab and remove.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Check the trap in the basement but hair removal would be my first recommendation.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ditto on the hair removal. That's the only thing that has ever given us slow draining from the shower in the over eight years of full timing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
On the outside chance its not hair, is the roof vent for the gray tank clear, if the air can't get out when you put the water in, it will go in slower.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, I had a similar problem right after we got the Big Sky, it turned out to be a thin layer of hair laying across the drain cover. I was going to go out to check the tank level when I just slid my toe across the drain and it drained right away. I did get slow during the rally and the old "toe slide" didn't work so when I finished I got down and took a close loom, the hair had built up enough to clog the holes and I just took DW's tooth brush and dug the stuff out, worked great... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Yep it's the hair in the drain. I can always tell when its time to unclog the drain. I just look in the mirror and yeh I'm getting balder.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hair today, gone tomorrow, Thanks everyone.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, don't say anything to the DW please, I like my teeth... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Remove the screw in the middle of your drain. When you open it, there is a cross piece under it and that is where hair is likely to collect. If that doesn't clear it up, perhaps some water under pressure may clear the trap.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stop washing the dog in the shower!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I had the same problem in the house. Vickie's two daughters have long hair and I had a problem with the shower drain in their bathroom. Lowe's sells a piece of plastic for $2.20 in the plumbing dept. It looks like a hammerhead sharks bill and is about 18 inches long. I shoved it in the drain and pulled out a very large wad of hair that was deep in the drain. Problem solved. The package says it is for a single use. I cleaned it off and it's in my plumbing box ready for the next time.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Edit my last reply. Hammerhead shark is the wrong shark. It's a long piece of plastic with serrated edges. Sorry.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Kidding aside, they make a wire mesh drain strainer (Similar to what we put on the outside of rige for heater exhaust, but much finer). I put those in my shower in the Hanna and BR Sink. Just pick it up every couple of days and use a tissue to clean it out. Worked great for catching hair and other particles. They can be bought and most hardware stores in the plumbing department. You can actually look and see the accumilation of crud and know it's time to clean, plus it will also get slow in draining because of buildup.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Yep....................Hair is the culprit.

We wash our Shelties in our Garden Tub & then it's clean the trap!

Happy Holidays!!!!!!

Roy & Kay
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
NCFischers' thinking of a sawfish. It's called a "Zip-It". It's about 2 feet long, 1/8" thick, 1/2" wide plastic with "backwards" barbs on each side. We have one of those things and it's great for hair and "stuff" removal from all the drains.

http://www.zipitclean.com/
http://www.zipitclean.com/more_info/unclog_a_drain.htm
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Shucks my slow drain was in the sink. I just poured bleach in the bathroom sink because there was a dark stain on the drain thingy. I first thought it was because of mold, found out that it was hair that was caught allowing mold to build. Used a Qtip to clean it, only to find that hair was there. Cat drinks out of the sink.....so some of the shedding hair must have stuck when I clean the sink.

Thanks for the post, I will watch out for the shower. Won't be the cats hair there.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #18
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I am having the same problem, only it's NOT hair causing the problem, I checked. Water sits at the top of the drain, never completely drains away, even though the rest of the shower will drain, albeit slowly. No other drains are having problems. I stuck things down the drain and dug around to see if I could pull out any hair wads but nothing happened. And if the shower sits for a day or so without being used, some weird cream colored residue builds up on the top surface of the water that stands in the drain and never goes away - I touched it, and it is very seriously sticky hard to remove goop, like caulking. I tried running just straight hot water, that didn't help either.

What do I try now? How do I fix this? Is there some other place I can dig around for hair?
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
blamb,

Cannot help ya there, but, as a reference point, I have very long hair, and have 3 yorkies with long hair. With all that long hair, I only need to clean the drain about once every 2 to 4 months.

I probably could clean it more, but, to date, have not found it necessary to do so.

You have been in that unit, what 6 weeks?? You might have hair buildup, would think, from our experience, you are on the line there, IIRC, you stated you have long hair as well??

That goop you are describing, have no idea, but, I don't remember ever having that issue.

Someone must know what that is????
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #20
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Yes, I have long hair, and you're right on the time line. I am going to see if I can get one of those Zip-It things mentioned in this thread and see if I can get any hair out that way. I really stuck a number of things down there trying to pull hair out, but I couldn't see or feel any hair to be pulled out. I have had long hair my whole life and I have a routine in the shower when I wash it that helps prevent a lot of loose hair getting to it in the first place which helps but isn't foolproof.

I am suspicious that my draining problem has a lot more to do with that weird goop coming up out of the drain. When it's floating on the standing water in the drain it looks like cream colored dust... if you stick your finger in the water it clings to your finger and then when you try to wipe it off it does NOT come off. It took me about 20 minutes scrubbing with soap and rinsing to get it off! (I was afraid I'd rub it in my eye).
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote