Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
The Goliath Fuse

Well, we had a learning opportunity this weekend.
Parked and unhitched and while lowering the gear to level the coach I hit the up-stop. Concurrently my wife pushed the button to start the stabilizers down at the same moment and it all quit. No more gear, no stabilizers, and no room slides. It's 2PM on Sunday so no dealer support and we dug the manuals out without much success there.
There was no power to the sliders, gear, or stabilizers or the panel that lets us do the fancy stuff by remote control.
We did have DC available, lights and awning and water pump but no go on the big stuff. I remembered being briefed that there are self-resetting breakers, but after 20 minutes still no go.
My wife and I and two friends climbed all over looking for a possible solution, trying to find the breaker that must've tripped or a blown fuse somewhere. Everything was fine on the panel, everything looked fine in the battery compartment, and we finally decided we'd give a go at manually setting up (you know, good practice and all). Well, we got the everything level and stabilized and even got the rooms slid out using the 'emergency' method of turning the pump with a drill (this is actually a pretty slick option, but I'd bet it wouldn't work with a cordless).

Once we gained access to the coach, I drug the laptop out and looked here on the boards for a similar problem and it prompted me to go back under and try to find something I'd missed and sure enough I found it. There is a 30amp fuse (the miniature automotive kind) tapped into the wire that powers the control panel and it had blown. The wire runs along the back wall of the battery compartment up to the control box and the fuse was turned away from me and nearly invisible along the wire. Had I not been prompted to go take another look with a flashlight and touchy-feely on everything I'd've missed it and given up.
Saved a trip back to the dealer ... boy do we have a lot to learn.

sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
The forum pays off again!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! We have all struggled with that little fuse and it's location. I also thank the forum for it's location. I also thank the forum for suggesting a circuit breaker replacement (AGC Spade type - fits right into the holder). There will be those that argue the circuit breaker will weaken when tripped, but I don't believe it is exponential and for that occasional trip, it's worth it. I did buy a spare so if it starts to trip to frequently I can replace it after trying to find why it's tripping.

This forum is a great learning and teaching place.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have not had a problem with this particular fuse, or any other fuse for that matter, however, I hope someone at the Fall Rally can show me where this fuse is and, show me how to change it out if need be.... Just for information, my wife does the switch to level and then the switch to extend slides, this way we cannot do both at the same time. She also knows to stop about half way through and allow things to cool before proceeding and not to go from one direction to the other without stopping and waiting 5 seconds. She's a great DW......Takes great care of ME also.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I believe I now have cornered the market on those fuses. Never blown one but after reading about it I bought a box of a dozen, lost it in the rig and bought another dozen, yada yada yada same thing now have three dozen fuses and found them all. They are ALL in the kitchen junk drawer where they all were all the time. It is amazing how much junk you can stuff in the bottom kitchen drawer. I think that there is also a small undiscovered tribe of gremlins residing there too... Dave P.S. I may have Betsy try making earrings out of a dozen or two (the fuses, not the gremlins)
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Phil the wires that run up to the pump and switch you will find a in line fuse on one of the wires.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, there is an easy remedy to find the fuse, pack up and meet us at the rally.. Dave and Betsy

on edit: OH DUH! I just found you on the list
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote