Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
JT Strongarm Setup Procedure

I am confused somewhat by the instructions that came with the JT Strongarms. I don't remember the exact wording (instructions are in the 5er), but it went something like this,
-Adjust so that front of 5er is something like and inch or so lower than the back.
-Lower the rear stabilizers and tighten the T handles.
-Raise the front of the 5er to level. (That would also put pressure on the rear stabilizers.)
-Tighten the front T handles.
-"bump" the front of the 5er up to take out the slack in the stabilizers.
That last step seems wrong. That would put down pressure (or compression) on the rear stabilizers and up pressure (or extension) on the front stabilizers. It would seem you would want to "bump" the front of the 5er down to have down pressure (compression) on both the front and rear stabilizers.
Am I missing something? Does it work as described?

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Yuppers, it works, but I am with you on letting gravity to the work, so I just bumped them down. All this really does is take that tiny slop out of any of the bolts which you probably saw was not much if you did the install. It just tightens everything up and gives no room for wiggle. as to up and down pressure it all balances out in the end... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The last step could be done either way. Their way does not remove any pressure from the back legs. With that thought it makes sense. I guess you need to try it both ways and see which works best for you.
Good question.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Agree with John, if you bump to lower the front, you are taking pressure off the back, and only using gravity on the front. By bumping the front up, you are adding a slight bit more pressure on the back, and adding a slight pressure on the front. By bumping the front down, you will allow the springs to do more moving, bump up and you will move the springs less. But if bumping the front down works better for you, go for it.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Zowie, now I'm confused - but really, do it like the directions say, its the only way it will work.

Hard to explain, but if you think about it, the instructions are only trying to take the slack out of the pivot points on the JTs. The front assembly can be done either up OR down with no loss in stabilization because you are never relieving the front jacks of the weight (unless you are hooked up to the truck). However the rear can ONLY go down. If the lift the rear up at all it takes the pressure off the jacks and you've lost stability all together.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It just seems that by taking the slop out by extending them, then walking across the 5er would cause them to shift downward the amount of the slop. Whereas taking the slop out by downward pressure, there could be no further movement downward as the 5er wiggled since they were already bottomed out.
I was thinking "bumping" the front down (instead of up) would only take a fraction of the pressure off the rear. It should only take a half inch drop of so to take the slack out.
Just got them installed a few days ago. Heading out in 10 days so will give it a try both ways.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Let us know you impression after trying it both ways. I might try it now too just out of curiosity.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm also interested in hearing the result of your tests. I've tended towards "up" to add to the load on the rear stabilizers. But, that also probably slightly lifts the rig off the suspension. I'm not sure whether lightening the load on the suspension adds to movement or helps remove it. In any case, I don't lower the scissor jacks behind the wheels until all the above is finished.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I've had mine since Q and set them up as stated and they work fine and I have very little movement, except a little from bounce in the middle of the trailer, right over the air filled wheels, of course. All in all, I have been really impressed with the difference they make...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Well we just got back from 2 1/2 weeks on the road. First let me say, y'all were right. The JT Strongarms make a heck of a difference.
I tried adjusting the fronts with both up pressure and down pressure. And I don't think I could tell any difference in either way. Both ways were much better than the tripod we had been using. Now I can highly recommend them also.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bill, congratulations on your first use of the JT's. The proof is in the use. I am glad you like them, they really help steady everything. As far as which way to "bump" them it does work either way. I hope you have many stable trips in the future... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
The best way to tell is after u set up go to the back side and try to rock the back side to side. If there's any weight taken off the back stabilizers this will show it.Set up both ways and try it,see if it makes diference.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote