Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
mdgear
Established Member

M.O.C. #13823
Ram towing-Please Help

Hi everyone,
We are new to this forum and sure hope someone can advise us on towing problems. We have a 2010 Model 2955 we are pulling with a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 heavy duty diesel. Automatic transmission. We also have a Banks aftermarket exhaust brake. We live in Colorado and are currently travelling in the Rockies. When we go downhill the transmission seems to slip or surge erratically. The RPM's follow and it feels like the truck is bucking.
Very scary.
We took it to the Dodge dealer and they dropped the transmission pan, changed the fluid and filter, and put on a new, improved solenoid. 1st trip out after the service the problem continues, plus the transmission overheated going up a 1/2 mile hill.
Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?
We have had Escapees weigh the truck and Montana last year, and they said we were OK for weight.
I'm sure there is pertinent info I've left out. We are fairly new to this type of RV'g (1 1/2 years), and really hope this forum can help us get over this hump. Otherwise, we may be restricted to flat land.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Margaret and Dwayne Gearhart

mdgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Are you using the tow/haul mode when your towing?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
When towing up or down a 4 to 6 % grade you should probably downshift to 2nd gear and just go a little slower. It wouldnt hurt to get some after market gauges like boost,egt,and trans. temp and maybe a deep trans. pan. check out www.genosgarage.com
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I am guessing your tranny is dropping the line pressure with the throttle at idle. With reduced line pressure your tranny, which thinks it is coasting, is not able to hold back the weight of the truck and trailer.

You indicated you installed a exhaust brake, I would call them and see what they say. You might need to change the tranny control module.

How do you know it overheated on a 1/2 mile hill? Was it doing the overheating thing, before the trans service.

If that does not help, drop by http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ and ask there. Tons of very knowledgeable folks there. Also need to know if you have a 5.9 '07 or a 6.7 '07.5

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Sounds like they may have to dig deeper into the tranny. But would also be interested in what Bsnks has to say. I would take it to a reputable tranny shop not Dodge. Unless it is throwing a code they think it is fine, no code no problem, and the customer is nuts.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
mdgear
Established Member

M.O.C. #13823
Thanks for the responses. A bit more information - we have been putting it in tow/haul mode whenever the 5th wheel is attached. Someone has suggested we shouldn't put it in tow/haul
We have been going downhill in 2nd. That seems to be when we have trouble. With the Banks system we have digital readouts of engine and transmission temps. Also boost, egt and power.
Maybe a computer or sensor is picking up false readings of the pressure which we are looking into. All the exhaust brake components have been replaced less than a year ago, and they are functioning correctly. When the rpm's on the truck drop below 1200, the exhaust brake disengages as designed. It never overheated before last weeks service. The engine is a 5.9 '07.
Steelpony, we have to agree with the 'no code, no problem' position of Dodge. Hopefully, we can figure this out before we really get into trouble.

Someone at the campground tonight suggested we try not putting it in tow/haul - that maybe it's a sensor in the tow/haul computer. I guess we'll try that tomorrow when we break camp.

Thanks again,

And away we go . . . . .

Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
farmall130
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13857
+1 on the Cummins or Dodge forums. Lots of smart folks on these forums....
farmall130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I agree with Jim, it sounds like a pressure problem. The banks system should be regulating this, so that's where I would be looking. I would use tow/haul as that raises pressures and tightens shifts for towing. I also agree with checking the Cummins and Dodge forums.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 AM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I will relate my observations in my own truck for downhill braking with the exhaust brake and tow haul mode.
6% grades, 14,000 lb. Camper. Keep your foot on the gas slightly once you are at the speed you want to stay at, the exhaust brake and transmission will work to keep you there. If you take your foot off the gas to slow down more, come back to the fuel slowly and steadily.
If I got right back to the gas any harder, the transmission will upshift very hard (tow haul) and when I let off again because it was too much and it downshifts again because of driver input. Like a bucking bronco.
On interstate stretches with long downhill grades (like monteagle Tn), I set the cruise at about 50, take my foot off the gas and brake, and ride down very smoothly with no issues. I do not use the cruise at any other times.
Transmission overheating after recent solenoid change going uphill, I dont know. I would think heat from egt would be more suspect. If it continues, run another tranny cooler with a fan on it that you could cut on manually. Could be the workaround.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I know that when there is air in the engine coolant system it can overheat. Maybe that applies to your transmission fluid as well??
Have you checked your transmission fluid level?
It does sound like the speed sensor on your transmission isn't communicating correctly with your engine computer. Please keep us updated on resolving this issue.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mdgear

Hi everyone,
We are new to this forum and sure hope someone can advise us on towing problems. We have a 2010 Model 2955 we are pulling with a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 heavy duty diesel. Automatic transmission. We also have a Banks aftermarket exhaust brake. We live in Colorado and are currently travelling in the Rockies. When we go downhill the transmission seems to slip or surge erratically. The RPM's follow and it feels like the truck is bucking.
Very scary.
We took it to the Dodge dealer and they dropped the transmission pan, changed the fluid and filter, and put on a new, improved solenoid. 1st trip out after the service the problem continues, plus the transmission overheated going up a 1/2 mile hill.
Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?
We have had Escapees weigh the truck and Montana last year, and they said we were OK for weight.
I'm sure there is pertinent info I've left out. We are fairly new to this type of RV'g (1 1/2 years), and really hope this forum can help us get over this hump. Otherwise, we may be restricted to flat land.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Margaret and Dwayne Gearhart
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
mdgear
Established Member

M.O.C. #13823
Made it to our current campsite uneventfully. But only about a 2 mile downhill and no significant uphills. So not much of a test. . We've now been at the same campground for 4 days -- plan to continue our travels on Wednesday. Within 20 miles of here there is an 8-10 mile uphill climb - 6 or 7% at times. We'll know lots more after we see how she handles that hill.
Thanks everyone for all the responses. And we hope to meet some of you at the rally in Indiana
Margaret & Dwayne Gearhart
Old 07-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
I'll have to agree with Devildog regarding the bucking bronco. I also travel the Colorado mountains routinely with my rig. I keep the cruise control on and always in tow/haul mode, manually select my gears with the toggle on the drive selector arm. BEFORE starting up a big hill, I downshift, rpms go up smoothly. Cruise keeps me at the desired speed. When cresting the hill and load decreases, I simply toggle to the next gear and it shifts smoothly. Likewise down a big grade I'll select my gear and let the engine brake hold me back. That is how I control the bucking bronco.