Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Sometimes the bad guy loses

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...l#incart_river In case no one has seen the latest media reports, Flint(eleven miles from my home and where I work), is ranked #1 for violent crime for 2012. This link is an incident that occurred Friday. While this involved armed security guards, it could have just as easily been an armed citizen.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Come to Texas, it is sad it happens so often, but we have a Texas CNN type channel that shows news across Texas. Every week if not daily some where in Texas, some bad guy tries to rob a store or do a home invasion and ends up meeting some citizen with a gun, and the bad guy ends up dead. Just saw other nite in Houston, where 2 guys tried to rob a store and a customer and the store owner both pulled guns, one bad guy dead and found the other a block away shot but in hospital now. Of course no charges for the customer and the store owner. It really amazes me that so many bad guys still try, and so many keep getting shot. But I shudder to think how bad it could be, cause I reckon some are smart enough not to try.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Hard to believe in this day and age stores still putting the "no guns" sign on their windows. Only the folks they want in the store will obey the sign and the robber knows he's safe. Great thought process!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Hard to believe in this day and age stores still putting the "no guns" sign on their windows. Only the folks they want in the store will obey the sign and the robber knows he's safe. Great thought process!
Don't know about other states, but in Texas you will typically find three types of no guns signs.
One is the so-called 30.06 sign found in federal buildings, courthouses, etc. which specifically ban any guns.
Second is the so called 51% sign posted in establishments that get 51% or more of their revenue from serving alcoholic beverages. That also prohibits carrying any gun inside.
The other is the general "unlicensed carrying of firearms in this establishment are prohibited" or similar language, often seen in restaurants, convenience stores, etc. That allows CHL (or CCW) holders to carry their guns there, while notifying others it is a crime.
Don't know it does any good, but does let concealed carry holders know where they can and can't carry. And maybe lets criminals know there may be others there carrying in those places where legal.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
My nephew's all time favorite restaurant is Buffalo Wild Wings who has begun placing the no carry signs on their doors. He carries at all times and so is now boycotting BWW. Tough choice for him, but in my opinion, an admirable one.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Just like the Wild West!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Justice Served
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I make the same choice. I don't like target rich environments.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

My nephew's all time favorite restaurant is Buffalo Wild Wings who has begun placing the no carry signs on their doors. He carries at all times and so is now boycotting BWW. Tough choice for him, but in my opinion, an admirable one.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I love stories with happy endings!

No, I'm not morbid though perhaps insensitive. If this was the norm however, crime rates would drop dramatically.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
I remember a tv show ware to robbers went into a bar to rob it, they pulled there guns, as they did all the patrons witch were all off duty police pulled theres. If you think like a robber they will always go for the easy target. I like to hear the good guys and gals didnt get robbed or hurt.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #11
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I haven't seen one but I heard that there are there billboards in Texas that show a pregnant woman holding two guns that say " Remember Mom you're shooting for two now " ?

Anyone going thru Texas that has seen one? get a picture of it.

Anytime someone inocent is shot the press is quick to jump all over it. The press isn't quit as fast on the stories where the clerk or home owner shot the bad guy. Local papers report it but not the national news for the most part.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #12
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
One of the factors in seeing more of these intruder being shot is the fact that we as a society, business are moving to a 24/7 model as well as more people work from home now than ever before. Most home invasions typically happen during the day when the house is empty and everybody is at work or school. Now there is a better chance somebody might be home. When I first started working from home 14ys ago I was amazed at how many people approach the house during the day. They have all been legit, but still far more than I realized before. Noisie neighbors are a good thing especially if they are willing to call the police when they see something that is not right. My local PD has cought a few burglars this way the past few years. The PD contributes it to the fact that more people are home and in the neighborhoods during the day.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
It's true, they never put any of the stories of the bad guys losing on national media. If you watch our 24/7 Texas news channel it is amazing the number of times a week the bad guys get shot. They get shot enough that it amazes me that people can be stupid enough to keep trying it anyways. I guess they think they got the odds in their favor lol lol.... I don't think I would want to play them odds...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Happy endings like this are something Connecticut papers downplay or refuse to print. I don't know about other state court houses, but in Ct. sworn police officers are not allowed to carry firearms while attending court. It started when one judge refused to allow an officer in uniform to testify or enter the
court room until his gun was removed. Now all officers must turn their weapons in at the courthouse entrance and once done they must proceed through a metal
detector like all other persons entering the courthouse. For awhile State Police refused to enter the courthouse to testify and tried to fight the weapon ban
on LEOs but the courts then mandated the rule of no weapons including police officers in all state courts. I don't know how common this is in other state courts
but I know it didn't go well with LEOs through out this state when it went into effect
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sky, just wait till some wacko storms the Court House and starts shooting at the Judge and any officers there are powerless to do much. Maybe they might rethink the policy.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No no guns allowed sign on store windows should be accompanied by a welcome criminal sign.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sky

.....I don't know how common this is in other state courts
but I know it didn't go well with LEOs through out this state when it went into effect
In Texas with a CHL I can carry a weapon in most state buildings including the State Capitol. When you go to the Capitol there are 2 lines. One where you have to pass thru a metal detector, a 2nd where you show your CHL, it is checked in the computer, if still valid you can continue with weapon. No metal detector. But you can not carry a weapon in a court unless you are a LEO.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #18
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Allen is right. Had the robber shot the guards, it would have made national news, and the gun haters would have had a field day. The other way around, and we have to read it on the MOC web site. Something's wrong with this picture.
Thanks for posting this.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote