Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
PT50C Surge Protector (Update #1)

Although I have an SOB, this problem also may apply to the Montana because when Phil and Cathy came in, he had to disconnect his PT50C. Here is my story:
========
Just before leaving Texas I had a Progressive Industries PT50C Surge/Voltage protector shipped to the stick house. I have 50 Amps at the stick house and tested it out. It worked fine. We left on our trip and I used it in Gulfport, and Pensacola.

When we arrived in Mayport, I again set it up. Came in and shut the generator off and the AC continues to hum. Everything appears normal. So I'm outside continuing the set up and Earlene steps out and tells me we do not have any plugs working. Her way of saying that the 110V receptacles are dead. So I come in and try the two GFCI resets but to no avail.

Now I start looking at circuit breakers, fuses, and anything else I can find - but no voltage at the outlets. Another look at the PT50C digital readout indicates the code E-0, which means normal operations. Line1 has 119V, Line 2 has 120 V. Line 1 is drawing 0 amps, and line 2 is drawing 21 amps (AC running). So every thing appears normal. I recheck all circuit breakers. Everything is normal, but there is no voltage to the outlets. Everything else works, it is only the GFCI and all plug outlets that do not have voltage.

So, my dear wife says, "Did you try it without that gadget?" I retorted, "No, there is nothing wrong with that device!!!!"
Well just to satisfy her (and just in case) I went outside, tripped the breaker off, unplugged the PT50C, plug in the umbilical cord to the coach directly into the 50 amp socket, and turned the breaker back on.

The darn receptacles worked. It was a few hours before Earlene said, "I told you so!" but not exactly in those words.

Anyone, anyone have had this happen and discovered the reason?

I have contacted Progressive Industries. I will have a new PT50C by Friday. I'm anxious to see if it will work. Progressive Industries is baffled also and when it is returned they will investigate to see what, if anything, happened.

Help!!!

Edited:
Update #1 - Well, went out while DW was exercising (Hee! Hee!) and installed the new PT50C received yesterday. I plugged it into the pedestal and switched it on. Everything reads correctly, E-0, 0-A and 116V on both lines. Turned the breaker off, plugged in the umbilical cord, waited for the "snap," and went inside to find EVERYTHING WORKING. Yeah!

I called Progressive Industries and left a message. The old one will be in the FedEx system today and I aske for a follow up on what was wrong.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Please let us know what Progressive Ind. says, Wayne. So far that has not happened to us.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never saw that happen,,Let us know what was wrong.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I will if progressive lets me know. I'll call them in a week or so and see what they say.

I received the new PT50C today. Instead of shutting down while DW is busy cooking and stuff, I'll probably wait until morning when she goes for her two mile walk with Miya. The PT50C is my excuse to not walk.

I'll let y'all know what happens when I plug it in.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have not had that problem. But waiting to hear what your problem was.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote