Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Electrical outlet in storeage basement

Took our unit in for service on the fridge today, (third time), and got to looking around at the new units. Some of the newer models have an electrical outlet and TV hookup in the storeage compartment. I could see multible uses for the electrical outlet, since ours is on the slide and not very accessable. Anyone added one, and if so, was it difficult.

TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ours came equipped with one as a surprise feature - one of those nice midyear changes. It does well to service our icemaker and charge the drill battery. I'm not familiar with the Mountaineer, so I wouldn't be much help trying to tell you how to install one, but ours would have been fairly easy if it didn't have one.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
TLG, I have added an outlet in the basement of our model 3280. My electric box is just inside the the entrance door. I carefully cut a hole the size of the outlet box, then unplugged the power cable, and pulled the panel out to expose the back of the breakers. To my surprise, there was a couple extra breakers not in use. I used a 2 foot length of 12/2 with ground Romex wire.
After I wired in the outlet, my dw decided she wanted an on board vacuum cleaner, so the 120 was already there making that installation easier.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
TLG , I have a 2008 329RLT and put a plug just inside the storage compartment on the left side. Remove the side panel and run the wire beside the stairs right to the breaker box. Needed about 6-7 ft of wire. Real easy job. I'm also thinking of putting a plug on the outside between the propane tank door and the front edge of trailer. I think the plug on the slideout is useless.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
A lot depends on the model and how it is laid out and wired. In our case I was able to remove the 12v lights, relocate them to the ceiling, and then wire outlets into the spaces where the lights used to be. Having the lights in the ceiling makes them much more effective. While I was at it, I also ran a wire through to the front locker and put an outlet there as well. New units already have outlets in the locker, but our '05 did not come that way.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
TLG,
Not real familiar with the mountaineer line but it can not hurt to check. On the Montana's mid year on the 07's they began to put outlets and receptacles for the tv's in the basement. On my unit, even though I looked for one during the PDA I was surprised 3-4 months later to "find" I did have one. Mine was in the cieling of the basement between the plumbing pipes and the clothes hatch so didn't find it until I happened to be on my back working on something and looking up. (The piping prevented me from seeing the plug when standing outside the unit. Who knows, you may be lucky and be pleasantly surprized!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote