Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
voltage meter question

I have a AC voltage meter ($10.00 at Camping World)

Please use the "short form" to post long links. Thank you. RVWheels

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/
index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/RV-
Maintenance/RV-Electrical--Solar/AC-Voltage-
Meter/skunum=29375

It works fine and I can watch the voltage in the rig.

The other day I hooked up my generator (1750 Watt Honda) to the plug in the back of the RV. I checked the voltage meter and it was reading "0" volts. I tested it with another meter and it registered 125 VAC. This is the second time that I have done this.

Any thoughts as to why the Camping World meter won't register when the voltage is from a generator? Very interesting...

Dick

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I had one of those and even though it always read something it was never right, either high or low but usually off by 5 to 10 volts compared to my expensive multimeter. I pitched it before even putting it in the Monty.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
just a guess, but if there is no voltage draw at the time,does the generator not produce anything to read? turn a coffee pot on or microwave and see if it reads anything. Again just a guess?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I checked the web site, it did not list the specifications. It could be that the meter is looking for full sign wave format and th generator is putting out a modified sigh wave or a clipped sign wave and the meter does not recognize it. You need either the specifications for the meter and the generator, or a oscilloscope to look at the sign wave.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote