Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
LED light replacements

I am in the process of replacing most, if not all, of the interior bulbs with LED's. I remember someone recommending a company called M4. Is that still a good source? I am inclined to go with the cool white for the increased light everywhere but any advice would be appreciated. I also seem to remember that someone had posted if a certain code was entered at checkout that a discount could be had? How about the exterior lights-worth the trouble to replace before they burn out? TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It is still a good source and these are the bulbs I get when I wont lots of light http://www.m4products.com/alplate-48...luminum-plate/
In my living room kitchen I like 5000 degree bulbs and the bedroom 4000 degree bulbs are good.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Curious, how do you install the M4 LED plate in the 12V double-bulb light housing in your RV? Is there enough room or do you need another type of housing?

A pic would say a thousand words! Thanks
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I cut a thin aluminum plate and screwed it to the inside of the fixture and put the flat plate light to it. The light plate has an adhesive backing on it so you may not need the aluminum plate. Either way it WILL work.
Lynwood
Old 01-15-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Thanks. I did some reading up on the M4 site, it says their plate lights are made of 2 plates with a gap in-between, so the plate with the light chips acts as a heat sink. I'm sure the extra plate you added can only help.

I ordered both (2) plate and (2) bulb-style LED lights from M4 to try out and see which I like better.

From what I can tell, for the same Ah power consumption, the plate LEDs produce more light than the bulb-style LEDs.

The plate LEDs have their light concentrated downward.
The bulb-style LEDs are omnidirectional with their light.

My factory light fixtures, like everyone else's, expose light downward, forward, and sideways. So I have to see which works better plate or bulb-style.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I can tell you which will work best. Plate, I have both the plate puts out far more light and better color.
Lynwood
Old 01-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I agree. I replaced every light bulb inside with M4 products. The only places I used "bulbs" were fixtures that did not accommodate a plate, like the fixtures that have shades or sconces. Love it.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote