Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
Hail Damage

we had some major hail damage over the weekend in NE Michigan. Our 2019 331RL HC has two broken sky lights, broken AC shrouds on both units, hole or tears in three slide awnings, a broken vent cap and busted tv antenna. we will be calling our insurance company on Monday morning. Just wondering if any one has any advice or input on doe's and don'ts when dealing with the insurance company on something like this ? also have a pickup and pontoon boat with major hail damage.
Thanks
Mike T

miket49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:00 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike, we had a large hail storm about 4 years ago. The truck they gave me a huge check. Roof on the house, I paid my $5k deductible for a new roof. I lost the skylight, vent covers and some pock marks in the sheet metal on one side. I replaced the Montana stuff myself. We have our third roof on the house in about 6 years. New construction in 2012, forest fire in 2012, hail in 2017 I believe. I figure sooner or later the insurance company will fire me as a customer. The way it is, our deductible went up to 1% of the insured value. My suggestion is for you to meticulously look at everything, take pictures and point things out to the adjuster. A good adjuster will ask you questions. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #3
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Get a free third party quote for repairs before calling insurance. if it exceeds your deductible then go ahead and make the call to your agent. The second you call your insurance, you are in effect initiating a claim even if you do not actually make one and they will ding you for it. We were told this by STATEFARM, no reason to not believe other insurance companies act the same way. Sounds like your damage is severe enough to warrant putting in a claim... but not necessarily, everybody has different situations. Sorry for your loss.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote