Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #81
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Anderson and pin box bars

I to remember seeing Anderson requirement for lockout bars with the Rotoflex pin box, I had the dealer take the MorRyde pin box off of my ‘14 Monty, and put it on my ‘19 Monty, which came with a Rotoflex. I had been using the Anderson hitch for several years with the MorRyde and loved the combo. Now I am having second thoughts, the MorRyde also has a rubber “block” that allows the hitch to flex to a degree, think a traditional hitch may ease my mind, even if if is a PITA to get in and out of the bed!!!

mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #82
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
That’s the rub-as “newbies” in 2018 we saw the Roto-Flex terminology stated. There is a specific pin box called a Roto-Flex and ours is a Moryde. Hence, we didn’t have a Roto-Flex so didn’t need the lockout bars. We’re of the opinion this is specifically vague to deny warranty claims. The reality is 99.9% of pin boxes have a pivoting head so why isn’t this a mandatory element of purchasing- especially since it’s only $25!!! After our previous post there were numerous others who initially didn’t know they needed the lockout bars as well. I get if you have some RV world knowledge this is identifiable but many people don’t and our dealership knew nothing about them as well. Moving forward and we’ll see how this plays out. Scott
Old 04-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #83
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Yes we are! Warranties are insurance and no insurance company ever wants to pay. The convenience of this hitch has value for us. We’re not concerned about any perceived safety issues as we’re confident this hitch is as safe as any. We know there’s “Aluminum” disbelievers but those people shouldn’t fly in a plane or use many other products that have switched to Aluminum due to equivalent strength but savings in weight. They’ve been around for 58yrs so that says something. It was also eye opening to read the official letter from Keystone about not honoring warranty issues for new users of the Andersen hitch after 3/16/21. Not that they won’t honor the warranty for new users but that all the threads for years have said that the Andersen hitch will void the Keystone warranty as it’s not approved- clearly it’s been approved for years.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #84
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Hey Slugchick! I thought you had the Roto-flex! Wow, now I am concerned, and I agree with you, NOTHING was mentioned about any pin box other than Roto-flex!!! I am on a camping trip now, about ten hours from home, and the last three hours are fairly steep grades and some hairpin turns. My 3810MS is 41ft and almost 17K lbs, this will be my last long haul with the Anderson!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #85
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I saw "lockout bars" and assumed Roto Flex. If there's nothing specific mentioned about limitations for your hitch then I also agree that Andersen needs to step up
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #86
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
We are still believers in the AUH. We are continuing to use it with the lockout bars. We do want the manufacture to correct misleading information regarding the bars. We have the bars now.
As mentioned, making a return trip to Affinity early summer to re- do our frame flex..
Old 04-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #87
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Now I'm seeing I need these lockout bars for my AUH. My trailer has the rotoflex, it's a 2019. Do I buy the standard size or the longer width ones?
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:00 AM   #88
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
My understanding, the Roto-Flex allows the actual Pin the change it's angle, forward and to the rear. To me that could even affect a standard hitch with thick jaws with the pin changing angles within the jaws.
The MORryde doesn't change the angle of the pin, the pin stays stationary while the pin box moves back and forth above the pin.
So in my opinion I can see where there could be issues with a Ball and Coupler and then you add in the adapter on the Pin might cause extra stress on the components.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #89
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
My understanding, the Roto-Flex allows the actual Pin the change it's angle, forward and to the rear. To me that could even affect a standard hitch with thick jaws with the pin changing angles within the jaws.
The MORryde doesn't change the angle of the pin, the pin stays stationary while the pin box moves back and forth above the pin.
So in my opinion I can see where there could be issues with a Ball and Coupler and then you add in the adapter on the Pin might cause extra stress on the components.
I see it much the same way...

Note, in the support section, Anderson has a compatibility chart...
https://help.andersenhitches.com/faq...-compatibility (section 3 to download the PDF)
Clearly, in the Anderson chart, the Rota-Flex hitch is the only one listed as needing the lockout bars.
Just as clearly, the MORryde RPB does NOT need the lockout kit, but does need a kit to install a heavier base plate. Apparently there were some issues where the 4 "set screws" on the Anderson coupler caused some bending of the base of the MORryde plate.

In fact, we investigated going the MR route and even had the dealer all lined up to swap out the Rota-Flex pin box with a MORryde RPB along with the heavier plate... in the end we decided to use a GooseBox pin box and not continue to use our AUH; even though we had great success with the MR/AUH combo on our prior unit.
(part of the decision was the new unit is much heavier, 16,800 vs 13,800)

So, if now Anderson is making the claim that the MORryde pin box also needs the lockout bars, this is a change in their policy. If any are caught where Anderson is trying to avoid honoring their warranty or guarantee, you should be able to refer to their own support page and the PDF to show them that the lockout kit has not been required by them for the MR RPB. (they may make a case if the base plate was not installed with the MR)

hth

Brad
Old 04-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #90
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
To me the lockout bars will defeat the “cushioning” effect of the MorRyde pin box, which I really like, might as well have a regular standard pin box. I also love the convenience of the AUH, very easy to hook up, and unhook, extremely easy to remove from bed, and saves a couple hundred lbs from payload. Bottom line is I don’t want to damage a nearly 100K camper because of a 1K hitch! And poor Slugchick damaged his camper AND his truck! I now find myself constantly looking in the rear view mirror hoping everything is ok. The less stress factor is worth the price of a B&W, Curt, or whatever, and I also agree with Slugchick, that Anderson never mentioned any modification to any pin box other than Rotoflex, I have also had to replace the red plastic funnel twice, the first time the charged me $90 for the funnel, I had to go to the dealer, and get a invoice where I bought the hitch to prove that I bought the hitch from them! The pics of broken funnel, and name of dealer where not good enough, throw in owner defacing National parks, and I am beginning to get a bad taste in my mouth about Anderson. Thanks for letting me vent!! Lol
Old 04-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #91
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Your thoughts and logic are sound so it comes down to comfort level, on all levels!!!
Old 04-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #92
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
PS- after the lockout bars and a new bed cover we adjusted the hitch ball up one notch. This was intended to not hit the rails of the bed cover but we’ve found it actually smoothed out the ride some.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #93
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Every time I read these Andersen vs conventional hitches threads it makes me happy that my 11 year old B&W has served so well over 50++K miles. No special parts, no notch sensitive aluminum tubing, no special adapters, just good ol' fashioned welded steel plate. I do have to say the base unit of that B&W seemed to have gained a few pounds over the winter
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:58 AM   #94
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
People get upset when someone is overweight by a few pounds because it’s ‘unsafe’ but will use a hitch that is known to occasionally collapse. I think I will stick with my old heavy and safe B&W.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #95
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I've said it before and will repeat myself:
I have a hard time understanding going out and buying the biggest heaviest fifthwheel you can and then look for the lightest weight hitch you can find.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #96
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Agree with all you guys! When I purchased the AUH, I had a much lighter fifth wheel, The B&W Companion with Ram pucks is ordered!!! According to Etrailer, should have it by the end of the month, amazed how many things are on back order due to everybody and their brother buying RVs during covid!
Old 04-17-2021, 06:53 PM   #97
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Thanks for your feedback.. all info is of of value.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #98
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Thanks, a concept for sure.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #99
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Appreciate the input. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #100
dadnjesse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I've said it before and will repeat myself:
I have a hard time understanding going out and buying the biggest heaviest fifthwheel you can and then look for the lightest weight hitch you can find.
The weakest link in my opinion. You don't see over the road trucks use them.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote