Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #81
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Is there any difference in a Montana and a Big Sky other than tires , level up and exterior paint? The older Big Skys had different furniture, trim inside and appliances. Things were on the Big Sky then trickeled down to the Montana but It looks as if the new BS is a Montana with paint. Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. The Big Sky package is a good buy considering the OEM upgrades. Tires, level up, full body paint. The package cost far less than purchase as options or after market on a standard Montana. It is Still my opinion that the paint job will be far better than the Graphics.

This was not marketed as a "big sky" which at one time was a stand alone unit but a Big Sky package as a option on a standard Montana
and we understood that.

We did not want graphics again and the cost OEM was far less than after market or add on's.

We are pleased with the unit but still disappointed with the sloppy workmanship. Yes it is industry wide but that does make me feel better.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #82
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

On our 06 we replaced all of them with a screw, nut, washer.
Same here...that nut was the only thing holding them on.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #83
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We've tightened ours and put some clear nail polish on the threads...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #84
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

Since keystone provided zero information on the care and maint of the paint on this 13 big Sky we called.
Herr Custom paint/maplew City Collision2456 E.Kercher Rd, Goshen, Ind

This very near the Montana plant.
The paint numbers on this Big Sky were H1255, H1505,H 1520, H7138 are their paint codes and would mean nothing to a paint shop/ They are very nice folks and will send me the real paint codes. The paint is a clear coat. They can not do as good a job as a auto/truck as that paint is baked on and the high temps would melt a RV hence the paint tend to chip more easy.

This is a prior post

Paint Codes
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #85
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we had that prior post but all of our paint codes are not listed and today Keystone service center knew nothing.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #86
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK..I GIVE UP..how do you get that %^$## 12V Tv in the bedroom off the wall.. Zero instructions anywhere...
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #87
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
If it's like ours it slides up at the mount.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #88
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I feel your pain Rich! it was pissin me off!!! finally I figured it out to pull down on the strap HARD to release it, swing it out and then lift the TV up and off the mount now I can mount it it my storage to watch tv by the campfire
Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #89
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I feel your pain Rich! it was pissin me off!!! finally I figured it out to pull down on the strap HARD to release it, swing it out and then lift the TV up and off the mount now I can mount it it my storage to watch tv by the campfire
Was wondering what that strap was. Did pull on it but I guess not hard enough.A little note on how to do it would have been nice.
Thanks I will give it a good yank.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #90
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep, that was my problem i was having I did not pull on it hard enough finally I said screw it I am going to REALLY pull down HARD amd BAM! it poppped loose, after that I greased it a little to make it easier to release
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #91
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We are pleased with the unit but still disappointed with the sloppy workmanship. Yes it is industry wide but that does make me feel better.
I second that comment. I have had my unit back so many times I really feel like the service dept. at the dealer thinks I am too picky and probably when they see me coming thing "NOW what"! After the last time in I think I'm going to be my own warranter for the last 2 months. My closet wall in the front of the unit totally came off. The one with the latch for the closet door. The door was still latched but the veneer came off. They slapped it up, not even very even and stapled it back. It isn't stapled on all of the wall framing so I expect if I don't fix it again it will come loose again.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #92
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 06 3400 held together very well on the interior. Our biggest problem was leaking holding tanks....five of them in 6 years.We had the frame flex and the sliding wall problem but Keystone more than corrected all that. I don't think these things are built for the use that some of us put them to. We used the 06 3400 hard...60K miles plus in six years. They are .... Recreational vehicles... but we used ours more as a second home. They would need to build these things a lot stronger for the use we put them to.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #93
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don't think Keystone builds the tanks. Somebody else does and supplies them to a lot of trailer builders, so if we are having trouble you can bet others are too. I wonder if they have China wrote on them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #94
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
keystone makes nothing.Everything is vendor provided.Keystone just assembles the 5th wheel. Our holding tanks are USA a made just around the corner from the Montana factory. We have been there to pick up a couple of tanks and had a tour of the plant. The tanks are not the problem it was the way Keystone installed them.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #95
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Rich. The fresh water tank in my little 2955 was just laying in place free to move at least 6 inches. Guess what, it broke off the drain. I had to fix that on the way to Wyoming.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #96
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Rich, Our HC only has about 3000 miles on it, but nothing to speak of inside except for a 1" long piece of trim in the bathroom that came off (still haven't figured out how it was attached originally, now attached with a drop of gorilla glue) Felt pretty good about the Montana when out neigbhor at the CG in Colorada with a 5ver SOB pulled in and had lost a vent and part of the rubber roof membrane, and piping in slide had dropped and had rubbed through on tire, and tailights failed on the trip from Texas. And while he was there the inverter failed and had to be replaced. A drop of gorilla glue fix our problem, he spent half the week working on the trailer. I think for the time being, I will stay with the Montana.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #97
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are happy with our 3402. Sloppy workmanship and poor quality control are industry wide all brands all price ranges.It is those little stupid things that stand out instead of the many, many great things about these campers. a strip of wood trim at the bottom of the spice cabinet fell off when we opened the door. Apparently the nail gun was set to high and the little nails went all the way through the wood. How many did that workman do that day..Stupid. Filling in the spots were the nails/staples went in all the wood work with a color that does not match properly ...stupid. In this THE TOP OF THE LINE,HIGHEST $$$ BEST YOU CAN BUY KEYSTONE PRODUCT. Little thing make a big impression. A little attention to workmanship is all that is needed.

We have a good friend that just purchased a 5th wheel that would be considered way above the Big Sky and he is livid at the poor workmanship.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #98
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The sofa/ air mattress...We recall seeing the prototype at the fall rally a couple of years ago and was not impressed.Figured it would be made of cost effective material and would not last. We checked it out today.Great improvement over the thin mattress that was in the previous 06 3400. Was surprised at the thickness the quality of the mattress and the ease of setup.

It is not however idiot proof which means I could screw it up. Helen was in charge of the evaluation and the first thing she did was read the instructions. I would have never thought of that.

re packing and stowing the mattress is where extreme care is required. ALL THE AIR MUST BE EXPELLED.We rolled it from the bottom slowly allowing the air to escape then unraveled it flat on the floor again insuring all the air was removed.Stow it carefully. Take note of how it was originally stowed and do it that way again.
I give it a thumbs up. A real adult person could sleep on in without a visit to a chiropractor in the AM.

Good work Keystone....
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #99
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich, just an FYI ~ the SOB is no longer using a sewer boom. They built a hose carrier into the port connection and dumped the boom. They said they had too many customer complaints about the boom not being useful and created more issues than solutions. Glad to hear you are liking your Big Sky...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #100
rconkin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12463
My 21 year old son spent a week at the beach with us last month and slept on the air mattress. He had always used a mattress topper on our previous 5ers and didn't with this one. He had tried it out a night or two before going. He said it slept fine and he is pretty picky about stuff.

On the topic of paying attention to details when these units are built, we have the outdoor kitchen and the fridge just wasn't cold enough for me so I took the three screws loose holding it down to get to the thermostat that is on the back. When I pulled the fridge out there to my amazement was a hole in the wall behind the fridge. i went inside and opened the cabinet in the bunkroom and sure enough there was an access panel to pull off to adjust the temp on fridge without pulling it loose. So, there's a hole to adjust temp on fridge and my outdoor sink doesn't go to a holding tank.
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote