Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #81
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
I am feeling better and hoping that the number on my old missions, DOT 1099 and then in small print slightly to the right and above this number 619 0907 means the tires were made the 9th week of 2007. I hope Lonnie finds an old Mission and verifies this.

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #82
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here ya go....
Determining the Age of a Tire

When it comes to determining the age of a tire, it is easy to identify when a tire was manufactured by reading its Tire Identification Code (serial number). Unlike vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and the serial numbers used on many other consumer goods (which identify one specific item), Tire Identification Codes are really batch codes that identify which week and year the tire was produced.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires that Tire Identification Code be a combination of eleven or twelve letters and numbers that identify the manufacturing location, tire size, manufacturer's code, and week and year the tire was manufactured.

Tires Manufactured Since 2000

Today, the week and year the tire was manufactured is contained in the last four digits of the serial number, with the 2 digits used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

Examples of tires manufactured since 2000 with this Tire Identification Code format:

XXXXXXXX 0600
XXXXXXXX 0600 06 - Manufactured during the 06th week of the year
XXXXXXXX 0608 00 - Manufactured during 2000

And

XXXXXXXX 0608
XXXXXXXX 0608 06 - Manufactured during the 06th week of the year
XXXXXXXX 0608 08 - Manufactured during 2008

While the entire Tire Identification Code is required to be branded onto one sidewall of every tire, current rules also require the first digits of the Tire Identification Code (everything but the week and year) must also be branded onto the opposite sidewall. Therefore, it is possible to see a Tire Identification Code that appears incomplete and requires looking at the other sidewall to find the entire Tire Identification Code (the use of a partial Tire Identification Code on the one sidewall reduces the risk of injury to the mold technician that would have to install the weekly date code on the top sidewall portion of a hot tire mold).

Tires Manufactured Before 2000

The Tire Identification Code for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that no tire would be in service for ten years. They were required to provided the same information, with the week and year the tire was built contained in the last three digits. The 2 digits used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceded a single digit used to identify the year.

For example, if the Tire Identification Code on a tire reads:

XXXXXXXX 0680
XXXXXXXX 0600 06 - Manufactured during the 06th week of the year
XXXXXXXX 0680 8 - Manufactured during the 8th year of the decade

While the previous serial number format identified that a tire was built in the 8th year of a decade, there was no universal identifier that confirmed which decade (tires produced in the 1990s may have a small triangle following the Tire Identification Code to identify the decade). The Tire Identification Code format used since 2000 accurately confirms the year.

And finally, hold on to your sales receipts. Most tire manufacturer's warranties cover their tires for four years from the date of purchase, or five years from the week the tires were manufactured. So if you purchase new tires that were manufactured exactly two years ago they will be covered for a total of six years (four years from the date of purchase) as long as you have your receipt. If you lose your receipt, your tires' warranty coverage will end five years from week the tire was produced (resulting in the tire manufacturer's warranty coverage ending only three years from the date of purchase in this example).

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #83
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hello Ozz And Waynem for sending me a up beat but today i got under my unit. now i have a 2006 3000RK that has had new axels put on by keystone in may of 07.. my person i worked with was craig.. well today i looked at the tag on my unit on the driver side by the lp door and it states that all 5 tires are to be 235/85R16E so i had called trico at 11;05 as i am on the east ct and they are in calf so albert says my tires, they will replace but when i said we were leaving monday for a 600 mile trip he said he can't get me tires in time.. but i should go to my local dealer and get tires.. well down here in the bottom of fl there are no 235/80R16E tires but they can get them next tuesday ,, well i will be in key west on monday so the said go to 235/85R16E tires which i did, by the way there are only 2 brands of tires we can get in 80R and they are tires the dealer never heard of and would not buy as he said they are probeley china and junk. so i ordered 5 now as the old ones are 80s and the new are 85 trico said i have to get 5 so i bought 5 BF Goodrich 235/85R16E commerical. LT so in the am they go on and in a week i send back the old ones to calf , but albert said he probly won't give me credit for the spare as its not used ,, so i called keystone and talked to Robin and she said the sticker is wrong on my unit , so i called Craig and his coment was that they went out of there way to give me new axels that they won't kick in for the extra money for the bigger tire so they said i want more than i should have as they will give me apples for apples not appels for oranges,, so i will see what trico does but i am not holding my breath, but i know i will be safe,,, i hope,,, with the BFG tires.. so do you feal that keystone owes me the 85s yes i do or dson't put the sticker on,,, well there coment was we put on now 80 stickers so if we up grade its ok but they down graded me ,, if they said it includes 1 chair and put in 2 , thats ok but if they say 2 chairs and then put in 1 well i got s----------- john Besides trico won't give credit for the 85s as they are more money than the 80s by about 50.00 bucks each so i feal keystone owes me $250.00 but if i will ever see it but some day they will get there ---- together done
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #84
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Some have had good luck getting TireCo to warranty the Mission tires, some have not. Some number of weeks ago while I was in El Paso, TX the tread started to separate on the forward tire on the driver side of the trailer. Although the tire went flat, no damage was done since I luckly shortly pulled into our campground. With some difficulty, I managed to get ahold of TireCo, got them to send me a warranty claim, purchased the only 235/80R16E in west Texas, and had it installed. Per TireCos request, the dealer held the tire to be picked up by UPS - which UPS did the following day - April 17th!!! I was still in town that day, and went by to confirm that the tire had been picked up by UPS.

In a follow up conversation with TireCo yesterday, they say they have never received the damaged tire, so can not process my claim. Now I'm screwed - yet another way to make it almost impossible to get any justice. I suspect I'm not the only one!!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #85
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rick, try to get the shipping information, if you prove you shipped it, they should honor your claim.
If they do not, let us know, and I will call Tireco, along with 25 other MOC members, and we will raise hell. Keep us informed.
By the way, they sent me 5 tires without even getting my old ones, this has happened with many other members as well. Many times Tireco has not even tried to get the tires back. Many of our members still have the defective tires sitting waiting for Tireco to call for them.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #86
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

This week, 20/20 is airing a piece on how to read tire codes, if anyone is interested.
Just wanted to bump this for others as I to am going to be watching this.

Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #87
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well i just want to tell all that i got my new BF Goodrich tires on all 5 today size 235/85R16BFG COMM TA E I am finaly rid of the mission tires, as they are in my garage waiting for UPS to go back to CA for a rebate i hope, you can not belive the diff between a mission and a BFG COMM tire ,, just ask lonnieb what he would do ,, your lives are not worth going on the missions,, my dealer here in bonita springs , fl , below ft myers said i would never get to the keys of fl on monday as i would have 3 blow outs on alergator alley. By the way the spare was mfg in 2005 as i have a 2006 unit so it was starting to rot on the hook under the unit.. After dinner tonight i feal now lets travel anyplace as before i was always afraid of a blow out . i can still get one but not this year.. I will be buying a new unit in 2 years but they will not have china tires or i will not take del of the unit, and that is final. keystone can take that junk, but put oak in the unit but the cheepest on the ground ,, keystone start putting some quality where it realy counts , not in some fake counter top but in the wheels and axels and the mec of the unit ,, i said enough or i will get mad john
Old 05-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #88
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The 20/20 showing is tonight, 10 p.m. Eastern, 9 p.m. Central. (West Hybrids will have to check their listings)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #89
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Here are the pictures of my Freestar tires on my April 2007 3400RL. Pic #1 below is the outside of the tire, which I don't think is the correct code.

Pic #2 is from the inside (crawled under the trailer thanks to Glenn's info) which I belive is the correct number. The number is TCI 3206. If so the tires were made on the 32 week of 2006. Is that right?

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #90
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Fire5er,
That would be the 32 week of 2006.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #91
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Waynem,

Thanks. That's what I thought, but had to ask the experts here.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #92
hoto

M.O.C. #6225
We did a factory tour at keystone in october of 07,during the tour I asked the rep when they were going to do something about the mission tires, his reply was that they knew there had been A FEW PROBLEMS and would be looking to find a differant supplier. I would have to assume by these posts that thier search has not been very fruitfull. I would not hold my breath while they keep looking. I replaced my tires after approx 7000 miles and several scary moments. The only way keystone will do anything that effects the bottom line is when the consumer shops elswhere. Good luck to you all and travel safe.
hoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #93
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
That is my statement ,, when will they learn its whats under the unit , not the neat countertop , get some tires, axels, brakes and a better frame to put a hitch on to haul bikes on , not as the boss said at the 07 rally, we tested the hitch with sand bags on , but we did not drive it , well go over a rr track in goshen and find out , there hitch is like the tires, junk
Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #94
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Just a note - rear driver side tire blew out yesterday on I-44, 6 miles from Chandler, about 7500 miles on these tires (Mission). Talked with Keystone and then called Mission Tire Factory. We found a tire in Tulsa today, replacing with Goodyear. We have the blown tire and will send it to the factory once we get to PA after Branson. I did find out from the dealer in Albuq that one of the new changes is the tires, they are going to Goodyear.........we can only hope. We were lucky not to have rim damage or serious damage to the Montana.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #95
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
The spec sheet I got from the Feb 2008 RV Show in Seattle does highlight one of the features as being "E Range Goodyear Tires" on the 10th Anniversary edition. Don't know if that will carry over to all the other rigs too but we can hope it does. If you follow this link http://keystone-montana.com/fullfeatures.html you can see it for yourself.

Jack
Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #96
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Ozz did you ever think there was so much truble with these tires that over 2600 people in our club are following it.. i think it has been 1 of the best topics started and i don't think there will ever be an end till keystone gets with the program and realy listens to us . we want better on the ground and then go up from there . in the 2010 i would like to see improvement to the tires , brakes , axels , and frame , but last the fancy inside john
Old 05-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #97
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jack,

The Goodyear tires are Marathon ST trailer tires (new size) made in China. At least when they blow out it will be easier to find a Dealer for Goodyear than it is a local UPS with hookups while you wait for Tireco to ship Freestars or some other Chinese brand. Interesting that the Marathon, Mission, and Freestar have identical tread designs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #98
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Seems like more and more, everything we get in this country is made in China!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Jack,

The Goodyear tires are Marathon ST trailer tires (new size) made in China. At least when they blow out it will be easier to find a Dealer for Goodyear than it is a local UPS with hookups while you wait for Tireco to ship Freestars or some other Chinese brand. Interesting that the Marathon, Mission, and Freestar have identical tread designs.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #99
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have just under 16,000 on the Missions on the rear axle and they are shot. However, that's not the tires' fault. We have a bent axle, looking at the wear on the tires. In the next few days I'll make some arrangements to take the rig to a tire shop here in Santa Fe the day before we leave here in early June. Now I need to find a place that can do a decent job of straigtening that axle.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #100
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
OK If we all agree that Mission Tires have had a poor performance history, even though mine seem to be fine after about 14000 miles on the road, my question is what are the top tires to replace the Missions? Someone said they replaced with BF Goodrich. I would love to hear from you all about the best of the best tires. Thanks John (getting ready to replace)
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote