Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
HELP

The dealer had my 2020 Montana so long I forgot something's about the refrigerator.

We have a residential refrigerator such as: The frig should be able to turn off by turning the large Button in the front of the storage compartment up front. Just cannot remember if the arrow on the Button should be pointing to the green or not. I presently have tried it both point to the green and the red and the frig stays on??????????

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't have your set up but I believe the switch in the front compartment shuts off 12V to the inverter which feeds the residential refer. If you are plugged into shore power, there is a 120V feed to the inverter which keeps the refer going. You need to turn off the 120V circuit breaker, or the inverter itself, or use the multi-button trick to put it in display mode to completely shut off the refer

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
My rig is just a year newer, but if it is the same as yours, Carl is correct. I store my rig with the fridge doors open and a few weeks ago when I went to the storage yard I plugged the trailer into my portable generator and even though the battery switch to the inverter was off and the fridge was set to “off”, the light was on in the fridge. To shut it completely down I had to open the 120v circuit breaker for the inverter. That would also kill the power to the 5 inverted outlets in the trailer, keep that in mind if you have something important plugged into them.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Mine has a Samsung Residential refrigerator. Some time ago I had to pull my refrigerator out. When I did, I plugged in a heavy duty short appliance extension cord, ran the cord to the outside of the cabinet. I then slid the refrigerator back in place and left the cord out.

Now, when I want the refrigerator COMPLETELY turned off, I simply unplug the refrigerator cord from the extension cord because that is within very easy reach.

Like MandK said above, when flipping the main breaker, it also kill outlets. Strange though, when the inverter run, the other outlets are still dead, only the refrigerator socket has power. I've never figured that one out!

Still, when I want the refrigerator truly, completely turned off, I can simply unplug it now.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I shut my breaker to the kitchen slide off, fridge shuts off

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #6
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
The dealer had my 2020 Montana so long I forgot something's about the refrigerator.

We have a residential refrigerator such as: The frig should be able to turn off by turning the large Button in the front of the storage compartment up front. Just cannot remember if the arrow on the Button should be pointing to the green or not. I presently have tried it both point to the green and the red and the frig stays on??????????
The res fridge is connected to a transfer switch so unplugging the shore power automatically connects it to the provided small inverter which will now quickly drain and destroys your batteries. If you want the fridge off, find the breaker for it and trip it, or use the fridge control panel to turn it off. The switch you are talking about is likely the infamous battery disconnect switch that still allows enough DC to kill the batteries in a few days or weeks. If you want the batteries to stop draining, disconnect the battery cable from the battery and put a proper battery maintainer on it as it will self discharge at 4% a week. Since 50% discharge is as low as you should go before permanently damaging the battery, a fully (and the factory converter does a poor job of it) charged battery only has 12 weeks before it's toast.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote