Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
No antenna signal to any of our tv's

We have a 2019 Montana HC with the Furrion KeyTV Signal Controller and two Furrion televisions. On our first two trips out, the TV's all worked fine.

Sitting in the driveway tonight, and there is no antenna signal coming to any of the TV's?

To troubleshoot it, I disconnected the cable from the antenna to the KeyTV controller and hooked from the antenna directly to a spare TV bypassing the controller. When I did this, the tv finds channels and works fine. When I hook the antenna cable back to the controller there is no signal going to any TV inside.

It seems like the KeyTV controller might be the culprit? Any ideas or anyone else experience loss of antenna signal to all their TV's?

From reading over at the Keystone Forum, others have had issues with this new KeyTV controller too. Anyone here have better results?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
Cook-Den
Established Member

M.O.C. #21280
Had a similar experience with my 305rl and my brother-in laws Montana. After removing the guard in the basement that gains you access to the furnace and water pump i notice a splitter box with 2 in coming wires-one from the antenna and one from the cable connection port. There were also 3 outgoing connections to all the tv's. All the connections were at best finger tight and 2 were ready to fall off on the next bump. After tightening with a wrench and checking all connections i could find the signal came back and stayed good. Not sure of the location of all your connections but i would guess that there are also some loose ones in your unit. Also the connection from the antenna to the signal booster was very loose. Good luck
Denny
Cook-Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 AM   #3
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
After some additional trouble shooting, it is the KeyTV signal controller and it is heat related. When the temps are cool outside, the TV's work fine. when it's warm out they won't work. On a hot day when they failed to work, I placed a bag of ice against the controller for about 20 minutes and the TV's started getting a signal again.

Called CW service and was told they can't fit me in for 2 1/2 months. I even asked them to ship me the part and I'll fix it myself but they won't do that. Guess I'm buying the part from local Keystone dealer and fixing it myself?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I would try a different dealer. Or call Keystone customer service and ask for a dealer referral.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Trouble is the multi source controller “KeyTV” is well over $170 from Trekwood.. and I doubt dealership has part in stock.. So if you go in for scheduled work and they haven’t ordered part in advance you will be waiting longer yet...

If it were mine I’d remove the controller from its mount and take the back off it and look for a cold solder somewhere on the circuit just for The cable or sat connection...

The outputs to each TV feed from a common input source so it can’t be tha5 difficult...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Yorkmontana

M.O.C. #24405
No over the air reception

We purchased our 2019 Montana he 331rl. While we were singing the paperwork at C/W the service tech popped in the office and said they were having tv issues
They spent 5 hours waiting for our rig to be hitched to our truck
They took an antenna off another Montana and hooked it up to our rig. Same problem
They then said that at the factory someone switched the coax cables
We get home and try to get over the air signal and nothing
We followed the setup instructions and still nothing
Called keystone and the lady said to buy a 6 decibel attenuator on Amazon
We did and hooked it to the antenna connection on the keytv box in the basement of the rig
The tv worked for a few hours then the signal was lost we went out for a weekend trip and hooked up cable tv to the rig at the campground and ran the setup on the teams nothing
Had the rig back to C:W they had it three weeks and said they could not find any problems
It is frustrating. Why would keystone try to reinvent the wheel. The old system of cable satellite hookups worked just fine
Yorkmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Response from Keystone Service: I am sure this is a frustrating for you and your family. From what we have been able to determine, the challenge is being created by the TV antenna and in fact, the Key TV system is working properly. When in close proximity of transmitting TV Tower, the stronger signal can cause interference with the Furrion TV antenna causing problems scanning local channels. If you don’t typically camp in the area near TV towers, simply rescan for channels once you are at your destination and they will pull in fine. However, if you typically camp in close proximity of TV towers, you can simply unplug the coax connection from the KeyTV coax plate(typically located right behind the TV) and your channels will scan in. Unfortunately, “close proximity” to the TV Tower is relative to many things such as how powerful the TV tower is, how many buildings, hills/valleys and so forth are between the TV tower(s) and the Furrion TV antenna on the camper so there is no easy way to provide an exact distance when this can occur. If you would like further assistance, please feel free to call us toll free at 1-866-425-4369.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #8
Yorkmontana

M.O.C. #24405
Hello. We have resolved our Keytv issues
We installed a new keytv box in the convenience center and our cable tv and over the air problems were resolved
Thanks to josh miller at Keytv
He was a great help, better than the subpar service department and attitude of our c/w dealer we bought it from
Old 08-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
cottcamp

M.O.C. #20162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkmontana View Post
Hello. We have resolved our Keytv issues
We installed a new keytv box in the convenience center and our cable tv and over the air problems were resolved
Thanks to josh miller at Keytv
He was a great help, better than the subpar service department and attitude of our c/w dealer we bought it from
Do you have a contact number for Josh Miller at KeyTV?
cottcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Yorkmontana

M.O.C. #24405
xxx-xxx-xxxx. Josh miller from Keytv
Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Phone Number

Quote:
xxx-xxx-xxxx. Josh miller from Keytv
Did Josh Miller approve having his phone number published on the forum?

Sharing a phone number might be better suited for a Private Message.

As they say,"The internet is forever"!
Old 08-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The private number for Josh Miller has been removed. A PM was sent to the OP with the information.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Brand new 2019 3811 MS, only had the unit for 3 weeks, now we seem to be having the same issue with the KeyTV. Had the tv on last night at bed time, working fine, woke up this AM, turned TV on & nothing. No storms overnight, no lightning, etc. Sounds like the same symptoms as the O.P. & others in this thread. Can anyone PM me with Josh Miller's contact info?
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:33 AM   #14
Yorkmontana

M.O.C. #24405
Josh@jhenrytrades.com
Old 05-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Thanks. Just sent him an email. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #16
joeypeps

M.O.C. #26233
Brand new 2020 331RL having the same issue. I pulled the Key TV controller and hooked antenna coax to splitter and TV coax to splitter, essentially removing the controller from the equation. Same issue. TV losing signal as the heat of the day warms. I’ll be e-mailing Josh at josh@jhenytrades.com to see if he can fix mine too!
joeypeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #17
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
We weren’t able to make any significant improvements with ours. Junked the Furrion antenna, put on a new King Jack antenna. Ever so slightly better, but not much. Junked the Key TV box & went back to an old school power inserter with the button like has been used for the last 40+ years. Slight improvement there. Added a distribution amplifier right after the power inserter. This was the most significant improvement we’ve made. I blame a lot of it on the length of the coax runs on these big units, especially if your tv is in a slide like on our 3811ms. Antenna at front of unit, tv at rear of slide, makes for some long coax runs. If I hadn’t already spent the money on the king, I’d seriously consider going back to the old school Winegard Batwing antenna with the Wingman like we had on our High Country. Same seasonal camping spot, & the reception Was excellent with it. At least we’ve got it to where it’s tolerable to watch tv now. Gotta love the government’s “better idea” of the digital tv.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Oh yeah, forgot that I also eliminated the diplexers at the wall plates. Don’t need those anymore with the Key box gone. Replaced them with straight through connectors. In my opinion, the Key system was an over complicated solution to a problem that didn’t exist. We’ve never had a problem with park cable the one or two times we’ve actually had it available, and the Key system doesn’t work any better with satellite than the old systems. People still have to run the satellite coax out through a slide seal to get it to work properly.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #19
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
I was the originator of this thread. It is a "heat" related issue with the keyTV controller. I was able to replace the controller through another dealer and replaced it myself and have had no issues since.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #20
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
I was the originator of this thread. It is a "heat" related issue with the keyTV controller. I was able to replace the controller through another dealer and replaced it myself and have had no issues since.
Key TV is somewhat new. It will take a bit for folks to figure out how to fix it vs workaround it. Glad you got yours fixed and thanks for sharing the fix
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote